Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-16, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%

OK, I'll get way from that site - not like I eat anything else but veggies and meat and cheese the last week anyway. 1 meal a day is a lot easier to eat real food.

Is that atkins veggie carb list accurate though ?

I will cross check with google to be sure though - but something I cant find in google.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-16, 17:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Find the "Hardcore Atkins' 72" thread. There is a permanent copy of Dr. Atkins' induction rules there.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-16, 22:17
Registered Member

BF:

I was ~ 219 lbs for a few weeks ~ my last weigh in on the 6th.
Now after a big huge Cici's dinner and a huge tea with lemon and splenda - I weighed 206 lbs.

So lost 13 lbs in 18 days after losing essentially nothing for 6 or so weeks.
I really think it was water loss, no doubt evidenced by diarrhea and probably the trigger for my body to lose the water was all the coffee with butter and MCT oil. Which I started just a week ago. Essentially 13 lb in a week.

I am thinking of getting stevia and heavy whipping cream and having tea to see if I can sorta get out of the bullet proof coffee, cos I am getting a bit tired of it. I do like coffee, dont get me wrong, but not 3 x a day. I'd settle for coffee when I have to stay awake on a drive. Else my choice is tea.

I never thought I'd get close to 200, and even more surprisingly, how much I am enjoying it, and how much energy and general well being I feel. No way does anyone doing a low calorie diet feel this. So far I've lost 30 lbs in just ~3 3/4 months.
Roughly the split is this. Pre Diabetic diagnosis May 28th or so.
I weight ~235lb - maybe a bit more.

June 1 - July 25th, No bread, rice, tortillas, potatoes, corn etc. AKA flour based crap I never enjoyed anyway. Still had sweet tea and other assorted sweet foods. Dropped from 235 to 219. My guess, 100 gm carb on average. I was a bit fixated on staying under 100 glycemic load, and saying I am not even breaking 50 most days.

July 25 - Aug 15 I am trying to stay under 20 gm carbs, but snaking on atkins bars, drinking atkins shakes, and eating a bit of peanut of some nut every 10 mins to keep from ketosis. Cos I had just started a new job and was afraid ketosis would make me stink to the point people thought I was drunk. I still stay ~ 219 lbs.
Aug 15 I switch nuts for jerky and stopped the atkins snack packs, but drink 1 shake max per day. And 17th I taste metal. Ketosis here I come. Stay ~ 219 till the 6th of sept.

Sept 18th - I find this forum, I stop the shakes, go to 1 meal a day and start bulletproof coffee 2-3 a day.

Sept 23rd - 206 lbs, I plan on likely switching coffee for tea, switching butter for heavy whipping cream, and staying the 1 meal a day course till I drop to 182. 25 lbs to go.

By then I'd know if I am going to stay this course till I get to 162 or if I am going to atkins 40 or what. My goal is no longer 175 lbs, its 162 lbs.

I'll do more research on veggies and carbs and get my numbers right again. But my tounge and body are pretty accurate measures IMHO. I have eaten pine nuts in my cici's bowl once and been immediately thrown into carb digestion mode followed a few hours later by the sharp re-entry into ketosis, followed by the last week neat fainting followed by gatorade and granola bar followed by the 10 minute keto flu. So if I read that something has 1 carb and it has 3 carbs, I'll know it in an hour or 2.
Thanks.
Srinath.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-16, 22:41
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Find the "Hardcore Atkins' 72" thread. There is a permanent copy of Dr. Atkins' induction rules there.

Thanks, I've been on it atleast the last week+. In fact there is a few things on that list I have not even touched. Like Mayo, and a few others. My big issue with mayo (other than not even having heard of it except in Officer and a gentleman - and wondering what it was) is that - nothing except bread needs it. And I dont eat bread, so I dont need Mayo.

Not 0 carb - I'd guess around 5gm since I only eat 1 meal a day, that's all there is.

Now that whipping cream and stevia is OK, as is splenda by that list, I'd go get those tomorrow and switch coffee for tea.

How much whipping cream would knock me out of fastation ? can anyone tell me a good guess, 1 tablespoon ? less ???

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-16, 07:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

I think that, on a daily basis, Atkins shakes (or any others) aren't a good idea. That said, using them once in a while isn't going to be harmful. The frozen Atkins dinners can be an excellent choice when rounded out with a salad or more veggies-I always kept a couple in the freezer at work so if I needed them, they were there and now that I'm retired, I keep a couple in the freezer for the days I just do not want to cook. My health is fine, my weight loss has never been adversely affected, and they help to stay on plan.
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-16, 09:23
Registered Member

BF:

The main component of those shakes is Whey powder. Is it better to buy whey and make my own shake. I can manage without the sucralose because I can drink milk straight. I should be able to put the whey and water and some heavy cream and make my own "milk" and some vanilla bean or black coffee to round it out for a vanilla or a coffee shake. Protein and fat and 1-2 gm carb.
Thanks.
Srinath.
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-16, 11:03

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Whey powder is very insulinogenic and causes inflammation in some people (commonly seen as stuffed up sinuses and "allergic shiners" - circles around the eyes - caused by the protein, not lactose).
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-16, 16:00
Registered Member

BF:

If you have lost the fat and your body has replaced the fat in the cells with water, and then you lose the water, how exactly does it come out. In urine ? in Stool ?
I'm having 10 days of near consistent diarrhea and I've also lost a good bit of weight in that same period. Without any other side effects. Could those 2 be related.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 07:54

Plan: Atkins 20 plan
Stats: 215/202.4/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

My weight keep going up and down in the morning naked I weigh myself and it said 199.4 I was happy now The next day which is today I weigh at 200.4 again... what is the problem and why I am I going up and down? and I think I am a slow loser now that I am my 40s just turned 43 on the 5th of Sept. I was on medifast about 5 plus years ago and lost a lot in the mid 30s medifast is pre packed meals very expensive made up of low carb and low fat foods. I am following the carb content of my food. Yesterday I ate;

morning - coffee with just heavy cream - 1
lunch - I rib with sauce small rib which I counted as -5 because of the sauce
curry cauliflower 1/2 cup I counted as - 5 because it had a few chickpeas in it cauliflower, sauce with little but of onion and hot spices.
grilled chicken - 0
and a small salad with avocado, 2 tablespoons of tomato's with Caesar dressing maybe - 5
Dinner: 1/2 cup of green beans - 4 carbs and
1 pork chop - 0 carbs (fried)

I counted everything as around 20 carbs just in case or 2 carbs over like 22

I haven't started exercising yet but I have read that exercising contribute as 20 - 30% of weight lost
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 08:50
Registered Member

BF:

I'll tell you what I have done, I may have some issues with my diet too, mainly diarrhea so take it for what its worth. But in the first 6 weeks I lost 18 lb, and the next 6 none and the next 2 I lost 14 accompanied by diarrhea. So certainly I have issues, but not related to carb count.

Cauliflower - Not eaten that since July 25th. I believe its high carb. IMHO, anything that caramelizes has carbs. Broccoli yes, Cauliflower, not on induction.
Sauce - has fruit usually grape jelly, added sugar and some cases flour. 5 may be true, but its likely far more.
Chick peas - another one that is bad on induction.
Salad - with what ??? it can be 5gm for a dinner plate full if its arugula, watercress and alfalfa or 50 if its kale and some others.
Avocado is pretty low, but tomato is not and dressing comepletely out. Not on induction.
Green beans - I dunno, I taste them as sweet. I'd not even touch these in phase 3.

Your veggies are limited to - Just purely my opinion - Endive, escarole, alfalfa sprouts, arugula, watercress, spinach and mustard greens, green olives, avocado and - I am venturing into the higher carb count here but you cant eat just these above cos they all taste like nothing or downright terrible - onions, mushrooms.

Target being under 3-4 gm per meal and you can eat 2-3 meals.
I am on 23 hour fasting, so I shoot for a whole dinner plate full piled high. So it will have 2 of the green leaves, then alfalfa, 20 green olives, 1/4 avocado, then a 1/2 - 2/3 lb chicken breast and 2 sheets of cheese.
Yesterday we were out of all greens. So the onions and mushrooms were pan fried, and tossed with 2 eggs. Then olives and avocado, and chicken breast and cheese. I'd say 5-6 gm carbs.

I don't know if its somehow causing diarrhea or if I have killed off all the good gut bacteria or what - but my diet is working in all other aspects including the weight loss, and the lack of cravings and the general good feeling and the light on my feet feel and I can achieve anything type of good feeling. Just the diarrhea is interrupting my good feeling.

Hope I get insulin sensitivity back, and hope I can go to having tea with stevia and not have a bad reaction to it again.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 09:07
Registered Member

BF:

I seem to have wandered into this a little backwards but the first few days on induction I was living in a motel with free continental breakfast. I used to eat about 12 eggs for breakfast, 2 burger patties and 1 cheese for lunch and a shake for dinner. Clocked in ~ 1500-2000 calories but 10-12 gm carbs. Your goal on induction should be to get your body to burn fat from your stores. However you cant effectively be very calorie deficient I think. Because you have mad cravings, you literally will have to fight your body every inch of the way. The shakes are a good way to bridge the gap with 2-3 carbs and relatively filling and not that bad for nutrition.
Eggs are .6 gm carbs, 12 = 7.2 gm.
Meat is 0, hard cheese is .5gm.
Shake is 3 gm.
Grand total 11-12 gm.

Shake is a good bridge to effectively quitting artificial food, but its a decent bridge. IMHO.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 09:45
Registered Member

BF:

~My2girls2: I think I gave you bad advice on salad dressings - and I'm sure its not the only piece of bad advice. Its just what I verified in the last few mins.

Creamy ranch, cesar and creamy Italian are OK on phase 1 as per Livestrong.com. And needless to say, there's a bottle of creamy ranch in the office fridge and says 1 gm carb and 1 gm sugar per serving. Sorry about that.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 10:57

Plan: Atkins, Primal,
Stats: 169/158/137 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Reinvention

Hello Shrinath,

After reading your posts about sugary tea and pie fillings, I wanted to say something about the power of re-invention.
Think of the 20lb weight loss in terms of ...you are not the same person that you used to be. Your body chemistry is changing. Your cells are renewing themselves everyday. At first it seemed like you could never give up the sugar in your tea...but then a newer better version of yourself came forward and said that maybe you could. Everyday, like Rob said we have the power to choose who we will become. Who are your role-models? What do you identify with? We all have the God given ability to become the best versions of ourself and enjoy life to the fullest.
How about a makeover to celebrate your weight loss

Enjoy the journey!
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 11:17
Registered Member

BF:

I should start thinking along those lines.
I am almost ~ 200, which is something I was in 1st year of college. I was shocked to have hit 80 kg (196 lb) after my freshman year. If I do manage to get to 196 I'd have lost 40 lb since June 1st.
I am going to get to 196 first, then 176 (72 kg - my weight when I hit my 5' 9" height) and then work on getting to 162. Somewhere in there I would need to work on my exit out of the IF+6gm carb diet. Logically I would stop the IF, then slowly up the carbs from 6 to 20, then to 40 and so on. I think I'd stay under 80 gm for the rest of my life.
Anyway if I get insulin sensitivity back I am going to be so happy I'd easily keep my WOE good.

Sorry, I will try Stevia in tea, but if that fails, I cant imagine living with out it. Pie filling is less of an issue, because I can live without that for sure. But let me keep this WOE a few more months and lets see.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-16, 11:59
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinath_69
If you have lost the fat and your body has replaced the fat in the cells with water, and then you lose the water, how exactly does it come out. In urine ? in Stool ?
I'm having 10 days of near consistent diarrhea and I've also lost a good bit of weight in that same period. Without any other side effects. Could those 2 be related.

Thanks.
Srinath.

It took me a while to get regular with my stools. I had both extremes happen before things evened out. And every time I made a significant weak to my diet (like when I added 20-30g of fiber to my daily routine) I went through another adjustment period before getting regular again.

As far as how that water from the fat cells comes out... I noticed it in my urine. How do I know this? When I was having a whoosh event I had very stinky urine. I lost most of my weight in a series of 2 or 3 week weight plateaus followed by a 2 or 3 day whoosh where I finally saw the results on the scale. During that time my urine stank to high heaven. It happened often enough that I don't think it was a coincidence. As time went on and the whooshes got smaller, I didn't notice it so much. But in that first year, I tended to lose several pounds of water with each whoosh cycle.