Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-16, 04:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Consider skipping the snacks. How much time is there between your meals? If the answer is "not much" you are never letting your insulin level fall enough to get the benefit.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-16, 05:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome

You list the 2010 New Atkins plan as the one you are following, please re-read the Induction rules and other excellent advice in that edition.
1. You should eat 15 NET carbs of the 20g as FOUNDATION VEGETABLES...approx six cups of salad and 2 cups cooked. A little spinach doesn't cut it...it appears most of your 20g net carbs were cheese, etc.
2. Limit Only 4 OZ of CHEESE...that is not "a lot". An OZ is a thin deli slice or 1" cube.
3. Dressings...only 2T per serving.
4. Protein only 4-6 OZ each meal.

I think these are excellent guidelines to help you eat more low energy density foods, control the protein and carbs and not be hungry. The stricter induction rules help you get into ketosis and experience the hunger lowering effect. It is a learning curve for guys use to eating larger quantities...appetite adjustment is built into the rules.

If the book you have seems complicated for you, many people here like the somewhat simplier instuctions of 3 cups veggies in the 1992 edition, pinned at the top of the Atkins forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482
But note, both plans have limits on cheese, cream, protein limits and to eat fat just to satiety. (Page 57, Savor, Don't Smother).

A few adjustments and you will be well on your way. Ask more questions and Look around the whole forum for advice and some of the success/milestone stories, here's Ken's http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...45&page=1&pp=15

All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jun-04-16 at 07:31.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-16, 16:04

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I always check the cheese and nut intake when things slow down -- those are my problems (I don't have to eliminate, just keep the portions very low) -- even when I stay under 20 carbs. We each have our own issues, but these seem pretty common around here, and mentioned by Dr. Atkins.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-16, 18:35

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi MRL
Welcome!

You got lots of great advice above! I don't know the answer to why you didn't lose in Weeks 1-2, but I am SURE you will figure out where to make adjustments and then, you'll be rolling along!

I've been doign this WOL for 24 months. I had great success first 6 mos, then physical set-backs, then wishy-washy-ness; at one point, I decided eating GIANT ribeye steaks every night and Caesar salad (no croutons) would get me there... it did NOT. Too much food/calories/protien...whatever!

Now, i am back eating resonable amounts (and making sure I don't over-consume any one thing). I am keeping it simple and it's working.

I agree with others here. Keep the cheese in check, and don't go overboard with eating everything that is forbidden on other "healthy plans" (not!)... There's something about eating fat and meat and butter that feels decadent- but even that can be over-indulged in, I think.

I wish you all the best on your journey!

I know you will be successful, 'cause you're here!

happy Weekend!
Jams
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-16, 19:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Do you use a food scale and keep a food journal? Try Fitday. I know it's tedious and a pain in the backside, but it does make a difference. Check out the Sticky of Induction Foods in the Atkins thread here. It's from an older version of Atkins and I like it better because it stays away from "frankenstein" foods. Keep in mind this is your new way of eating. It's not a diet. Can you really imagine yourself eating spinach as your only vegetable source for the rest of your life? Yikes, and I thought I was sick of eggs.

Most important....Don't Quit ! Your deserve success and it will happen.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 09:57

Stats: 255/255/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for all the help and advice. I'm going to try a 2,000 calorie a day intake. I will be boxing while doing this. It's a workout that good for my mental health. Do you think a 70/30 ration is reasonable? 70% fat / 30% protein. That would make it easy for me to measure. The grams are very close to similar with that ratio since there are 9 calories a gram in fat and 4 calories in a gram in protein. A 2,000 calorie day would look like this: 1,400 calories from fat at 155 grams. 600 calories from protein at 150 grams. Also, how long should I take between meals? Sticking to a 3 meal day without snacking will probably work best for me. I've never been a breakfast person besides my coffee and cream. Is that o.k.? There are so many mixed reviews, opinions, and studies when it comes to breakfast. I hope people like the 70/30 ratio since it keeps the grams almost equal. That keeps it simple. I believe the simpler the more likely to stick with it.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 12:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you want to get into deep ketosis, limit your protein to around 80-100g a day. Fat is unlimited. Keep net carbs under 30 -- lots of room for veggies. I'm not a fan of using ratios because if you eat 3000 calories, then X% in grams might just be too much.

Too much protein can lighten your ketosis just as much as too much carb can. In my own experimentation, I could increase carbs (from fibrous veggies) and decrease protein and get into very deep ketosis.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 16:00

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

DO NOT COUNT CALORIES.

Count your carbs, keep them mostly veggies, and under 20 grams gross, not net.

Eat only whole foods, and never choose low fat, fat free, skinless, etc: eat the natural fat that comes with the meat. If you eat shrimp, you could dip it in butter, that sort of thing.

But at the start of a low carb weight loss program, the two things that will trip you are eating too many carbs, and eating too frequently. NOT too many calories.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 16:32

Stats: 255/255/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

I'm gonna start the journey again tomorrow. I think I'm going to completely avoid cheese. What about protein? Is that something I really need to watch? 80 grams seems almost impossible to keep it at that level if I'm eating meat. I've heard and read to limit protein. I've also heard and read not to be too concerned about your protein intake.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 17:14

Avoiding cheese is a good idea. Have you read the first couple of pages of the Atkins '72 Warriors thread?

It contains Dr Atkins rules for induction. Many people, including those on that thread, just stay on induction, indefinitely, because they know they can maintain their losses there, and they are happy with the food choices.

But whether you stay there or not, it's a very good place to start.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 18:11

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRL50
I'm gonna start the journey again tomorrow. I think I'm going to completely avoid cheese. What about protein? Is that something I really need to watch? 80 grams seems almost impossible to keep it at that level if I'm eating meat. I've heard and read to limit protein. I've also heard and read not to be too concerned about your protein intake.

If you were losing well, we'd probably tell you to keep doing what you're doing. Since you've not been successful, we are looking for common problems. You might try removing cheese first and then if that doesn't do the trick, cut down on the meat.

BTW, 80-100 grams of protein is substantial: 11-14 ounces of meat per day. If you choose fatty cuts, perhaps even more.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 23:15

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

One trick I've been using for lowering protein, is just to use half of what I used to. In our house we share a steak, or only use 1/4 pound of hamburger, or 1 large chicken thigh as a serving size. Then we bulk the meal up with a big salad with olive oil and avocados for fat , green veggies with butter (sometimes some turnip fries). For breakfast we have eggs with 1 piece of bacon and 1 sausage -- just about half the protein of what we used to eat.

If you add enough fat and veggies, its still very satiating.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 07:29

If you are concerned about getting enough protein...LCHF seems to be protein sparing. You don't seem to need as much protein with a high fat diet as with a high carb.

And 150 is a LOT--like, 200 lbs of carb adapted bodybuilder muscle adapted.

If we're overfat, AND we're fat adapted, we just don't need as much.