Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 08:49

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

June 1-250.6
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 08:59

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe42
The month of May was terrible- I broke the rules. Back on the horse now.

June goal: 274 lbs

Goal is 5 lbs. I will be on vacation and on the road the next 13 days.

If you have any tips send them my way.

6/1- 279 lbs

Hey Joe! You can do this. My best tip is to plan ahead. Start google searching low carb + restaurant name and low carb + restaurant type (Mexican, etc). It will give you the names of low carb dishes. I would do fast food restaurants too so that you will know what to eat in a pinch. The only trouble I've had not being able to find something to eat is usually at Asian restaurants (maybe someone has good tips for that ).

If you plan to have some adult beverages, look up ones that are the lowest carb count and decide in advance what and how many you are going to have. Keep in mind that the effects are more potent on LC WOE. Make sure to alternate with water between drinks.

If you are road tripping, have a small cooler full of LC snacks: cheese sticks, beef/turkey sticks, pepperoni, beef jerky (watch flavored ones for carbs), pork rinds, single serving packets of nuts, etc.

Have a great time Joe! You can do this. I've done 3 trips to Las Vegas, a cruise, Disney, and several smaller road trips on this WOE. It can be done and enjoyed.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 09:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Joe! Everything Renee said and what I did is think what a gift I'm givng myself by staying OP. It truly is a gift to eat low carb high fat. I also ate a lot. No skimping so I wouldn't feel hungry. I say this without yet knowing what I weigh lol. Good luck! You can stay OP and have a great time.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 10:02
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I know my progress ticker says otherwise, but my weight is not where I want it to be just yet. When I set that 210 pound goal I never dreamed that I would actually achieve it. Now that I am in the neighborhood of my ideal weight, I'd like to find it. Do you mind if I join you here? I had a flat May and I could use the accountability of daily weigh-ins. I'm looking to lose 8 to 10 more pounds. Just under 190 pounds ought to do it for me. If I can get half of that in June, that would be great.

June 01 - 198

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Jun-02-16 at 06:52.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 10:43

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

2014: Jan/~265/253/245/241/236/231/226/220/213/209/203
2015: 202/198/194/191/190/186/184/179/179/174/174/172
2016: 173/175/???/175/174/176/july/aug/sep/oct/nov/dec

Goal for this month...back to 172 and STOP BOUNCING back up!

06/01/16 = 176

I stayed between 172 and 174 the entire month of May and was even seeing very slow progress towards settling down at 172. Then I shot up again to 177 after a 5 day camping trip over Memorial Day weekend. NOT the way I wanted to end the month of May! So, here we go again...trying to lose that same 5 pounds one more time.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 10:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I know my progress ticker says otherwise, but my weight is not where I want it to be just yet. When set that 210 pound goal I never dreamed that I would actually achieve it. Now that I am in the neighborhood of my ideal weight, I'd like to find it. Do you mind if I join you here? I had a flat May and I could use the accountability of daily weigh-ins. I'm looking to lose 8 to 10 more pounds. Just under 190 pounds ought to do it for me. If I can get half of that in June, that would be great.

June 01 - 198

Welcome Ken!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 11:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/143/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Thanks Renee! Look at you! 280 to 170, you are incredible! I can't even imagine the difference you must be feeling! I don't know how to do those cute lil cheerleader icons you do, but imagine 110 of them right here!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 12:07

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:

6/1- 279 lbs

Hey Joe welcome back. We're at the same weight now I've stopped using diuretics to see how that goes and have gained some. Let's see where this month takes us. It will be fun!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 12:13

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
...Do you mind if I join you here? I had a flat May and I could use the accountability of daily weigh-ins...

Welcome khrussva! You will enjoy the company here. I sure do.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 12:49

Plan: NSNG
Stats: 260/164/185 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 128%

I'm in again. I have zero goals or expectations for the month. In fact, as we approach the summer and more time spent outdoors with less predictable food, I suspect I won't see much change for the next few months. (I say that now and just watch, my body will decide to let go of weight just to spite me and make me eat my words. Hah!)

06.01 - 182 (TOM arrived)
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 13:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/143/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:

I read something somewhere that has really stuck with me... Vacations and celebrations are not about the food, it's about the time spent with people you love. I used to get really caught up in the food for celebrations but I find that when I shift my mindset, then it becomes less about what I am missing out on and more about what I get to have and still lose weight!

For example, I recently went camping and dropped two pounds on my camping trip. Old me would have felt like camping means smores and popcorn and hot dogs with the buns and campfire baked potatoes and you get the general idea... BUT the mind shift made it about bike riding a low carb friendly picnic to the beach and playing at the lake, enjoying lots of fun summery salads and a nice fire-grilled steak.

I have also found that in almost any restaurant, I can find a great LC option. BBQ restaurants are great (avoid the BBQ sauce and ask about sugar in the dry rub) Steakhouses are a given, most places have great salads and I love tortilla-less fajitas or rice-less Carnitas in Mexican food restaurants. We recently went to a taqueria for lunch, I just ate the taco filling and skipped the tortilla. You might have to make modifications and ask a few questions, but chefs are often really happy to accommodate dietary requests at most places. Hey, at the mexican food restaurant, they charged me half of the price for taking out the rice and beans! Good luck!!!!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 13:29

Plan: Ketogenic Diet 9-2016
Stats: 227/189/150 Female 5' 5"
BF:31.6%
Progress: 49%

I'm in, THANKS SUSAN, for the new thread!!

bjoates = 217/211/208/205/202/june/july/aug/sept/oct/nov/dec/jan 2017

June goal still trying to get to "ONEDERLAND"!

06/01: 202
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 19:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmergai
Thanks Renee! Look at you! 280 to 170, you are incredible! I can't even imagine the difference you must be feeling! I don't know how to do those cute lil cheerleader icons you do, but imagine 110 of them right here!

Thanks Glim! I do feel amazing! I had so many health problems before. Now I feel great (and look great too if I do say so myself ).
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 19:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoates

June goal still trying to get to "ONEDERLAND"!

06/01: 202

This is your month! You got this!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-16, 21:14

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Welcome back Ken! Very happy to have you here.

BigJoe - When traveling, I've found a couple of fast food restaurants that actually have decent options for low carbers.

Hardees/Carl's Jr. will serve all of their burgers as "lettuce wraps" which makes them nicely low carb...especially if you remember to tell them to leave off the sugary catsup. Of course you also have to skip the fries but I find that one of their 1/3rd pound or 1/2 pound Angus beef burgers makes a very filling meal all by itself.

Some (unfortunately, not all) Kentucky Fried Chicken places serve roasted chicken and others have "Kentucky Grilled chicken". Both are zero carbs. A serving of their green beans also has only 4g carbs...if you can stand to eat them. IMHO the green beans are so over-cooked, I'd rather skip the 4g carbs.

Subway's chopped salads are a good LC option. Most of the chopped salads range from 10 to 12g of carbs and you get a nice meal-sizes salad. Stay away from the meatball marinara and the sweet onion chicken teriaki salads tho as those have tons of added sugar. And for dressings, go with their vinegarette, full fat mayo, ranch, or southwest chipotle.

Wendy's chicken caeser salad with ceasar dressing has only 10g of carbs if you leave off the croutons.

Taco Cabana: go for the chicken fajitas or steak fajitas and skip the sides. Or have chicken fajita or steak fajita salads without the shell and ask them to leave out the rice and go very easy on the black beans. Don't get the refried beans as those have added sugar. Most places will double the lettuce in place of the rice and beans.

Long John Silver's (in some locations) has baked cod and baked shrimp on the menu. Zero carbs! And their broccoli cheese soup makes a nice side at 8g carbs per bowl. If they don't have the baked cod, I order the battered fried cod and pull most of the coating off before eating it.

Barbecue joints are usually good choices IF they smoke the meat without sauce and you can ask them not to add any. Beware bbq sauces! They're loaded with sugar!

At Panda Express, the Kung Pao chicken has just 11g carbs but skip ALL the sides. Even the steamed veggies have something like 16 g carbs/serving which is ridiculous since it's mostly steamed cabbage! Only thing I can figure is that they add sugar to the recipe.

Pizza Hut and Domino's Pizza both offer chicken wings that are reasonably low carb if others in your travel group are just dying for pizza. Lowest carb wing flavors at Pizza Hut are "naked, garlic parmesan, ranch rub, and cajun rub - all have about 1 to 2 g carbs per bone-in wing. Ask for full-fat ranch or blue cheese salad dressing to go with the wings. Don't recall the details about Domino's wings but they're similar to Pizza Hut.

Good luck with the traveling.