Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 08:11

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Carbs for endurance?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...51215094542.htm

Quote:
Carbs, not fats, boost half-marathon race performance

Carbohydrates are the body's main energy source during high-intensity, prolonged running, a new study published in Journal of Applied Physiology reports.

Muscles use carbohydrate and fat stored in the body as fuel during exercise, but the fuel sources differ in availability. Carbohydrates can be used immediately but have limited stores. Fats require additional processing steps before they can be used but have larger reserves in the body. Although carbohydrates are the main energy source during high-intensity exercise, recent studies have examined strategies to improve the muscles' ability to burn fat instead of carbohydrates during prolonged exercise, proposing that this approach will enhance performance because fat stores in the body are larger than carbohydrate stores and can supply significantly more energy.

Researchers at Australian Catholic University's Mary Mackillop Institute for Health Research tested the importance of fuel source to endurance sports performance by blocking the body's use of fat. Male competitive half-marathon runners ran on a treadmill until exhausted at a pace 95 percent of their best half-marathon time. They ate a calorie-free or carbohydrates meal before and during the run and took nicotinic acid to prevent the use of fat stores.

The researchers found that blocking the body's use of fat did not affect the distance the runners covered before becoming exhausted. Blocking fat use also did not affect the use of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates contributed 83 to 91 percent of the total energy used, the research team wrote. The study shows that for high-intensity, long-duration runs, exercising muscles prefer carbohydrates as their fuel source, regardless of whether the runner has eaten or not, says Jill Leckey, primary author of the study.

"Competitive runners should focus on dietary strategies that will increase carbohydrate availability before and during competition to optimize race performance in events lasting up to 90 minutes in duration," according to Leckey.

Although the study was conducted in competitive runners, the findings apply to recreational runners as well, says Leckey. "It's the relative exercise intensity, for instance the percentage of an individual's maximal oxygen uptake or maximum heart rate, that determines the proportion of carbohydrate and fat fuels used by the exercising muscles, not simply the pace they are running."

Okay, so under conditions where runners would have burned mostly glucose for energy anyways, blocking lipolysis doesn't much affect fuel source. Sort of like taking a bottle of motor oil out of the trunk of your car, and seeing how that affects the fuel mix burned. It wasn't in the mix to start with. Even if fat manages to get out of fat cells and into muscle cells, high intracellular levels of glucose will still prevent much of it from being used for energy.

What any of this has to do with keto- or even just fat-adapted athletes is beyond me. When the default diet is high carb--and I think it still is for this group--the people who become competitive half-marathon runners will be the ones best able to adapt to a high carb metabolism in the first place.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 10:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
When the default diet is high carb--and I think it still is for this group--the people who become competitive half-marathon runners will be the ones best able to adapt to a high carb metabolism in the first place.

For a few years, I volunteered at a local tri-athalon and got to see this up close. The front runners, male or female, had a marathoner's build: lean and long-muscled, a particular body type.

My husband was a gymnast in high school, but he would never be in this group. He's got a torso like a beer keg, a neck that won't fit in most collared shirts, and upper body strength like a caber-tosser... which is his genetic background.

The people who ran marathons well didn't become that greyhound shape because they ran marathons. Their heads were long and narrow, their feet were long and narrow, their shoulders were like half the width and breadth of my husband's shoulders.

There were some people with DH's build on the race... in the middle. They were fit, sure, but they were struggling the whole time.

Long distance endurance is not what they are built for. Kenyan marathoners... not to take away any of their heart or spirit, but they are built for it!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 11:37

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Researchers at Australian Catholic University's Mary Mackillop Institute for Health Research tested the importance of fuel source to endurance sports performance by blocking the body's use of fat.
So...did they do a comparative study in keto- or fat-adapted athletes with a carbohydrate "blocker"?

Haven't Phinney and Volek done experiments on keto-adapted athletes?

Seems to me many of these studies are badly designed to bias towards carbohydrates. You find what you're looking for!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 12:06

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yes, it appears they got the results they selected for with a 90-minute maximum run on a treadmill. This proves nothing. Performing an endurance event for 90 minutes wouldn't even require consumption of additional fuel during the event because usually there's enough glycogen stores for most of the duration. Agree with the previous comments that observe that these athletes were not fat adapted, so they'll favor glycogen over fat; they missed adding another group that were fat adapted and fat fueled with some method to measure fat-sourced energy (yet, the metabolism gets some glucose from fat due to the glycerol molecules in fat); and they should have had a control group to determine at what point fat was used (assume this is very difficult to measure).

Why bother? This is hardly revolutionary.
Quote:
"Competitive runners should focus on dietary strategies that will increase carbohydrate availability before and during competition to optimize race performance in events lasting up to 90 minutes in duration," according to Leckey.

Exactly, but I'd love to see a fat adapted group that was restricted on carbs prior to the treadmill session just to see a real comparison even at that short of a duration.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 12:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

My daughter is a triathlete and does low carb as she says she gets a longer, more reliable energy, instead of carbs which are in short bursts???? - her choice, after she and her co-triathletes did some anecdotal studies and trials. I didnt get involved, but I was surprised that she is taking low carb so seriously.

Jo xxx
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 13:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Husband is a half-marathoner. And a good one. AND he's built like the racers that WereBear describes.

OTOH, the endurance athletes who do best on a keto adapted diet tend to be triathletes, or ultra marathon runners--people who go well past the legendary "wall" that glycogen users hit.

Also, running on a treadmill is NOTHING like running an actual race on a street. You can't reproduce the small variations in surface, the constant incline/decline of the terrain, even in places that are relatively flat, nor, as in most distance races, the gradual then increasing inclines to the top of whatever hill has been called "Heartbreak" for that particular race.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 15:23

BF:

Quote:
running on a treadmill is NOTHING like running an actual race on a street.
Not to mention the fact that most treadmills have a powered belt. This reduces the resistance and effort required to push the ground away exponentially (I like that word--not sure if it's quite accurate here, but never mind.)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Not to mention the fact that most treadmills have a powered belt. This reduces the resistance and effort required to push the ground away exponentially (I like that word--not sure if it's quite accurate here, but never mind.)

It seems accurate to me, Barb. And is a perfectly good word, as well.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 21:56

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Husband is a half-marathoner. And a good one. AND he's built like the racers that WereBear describes.

OTOH, the endurance athletes who do best on a keto adapted diet tend to be triathletes, or ultra marathon runners--people who go well past the legendary "wall" that glycogen users hit.

Also, running on a treadmill is NOTHING like running an actual race on a street. You can't reproduce the small variations in surface, the constant incline/decline of the terrain, even in places that are relatively flat, nor, as in most distance races, the gradual then increasing inclines to the top of whatever hill has been called "Heartbreak" for that particular race.

I am anti-treadmill biased, so much that when I was running halfs I would train on the track (27 laps to a mile!!!). Meanwhile, I would stare at this woman who was always there like me, and highly focused while running. We would talk shop in the locker room. I later found out why she trained on that treadmill every day. For the Olympic trials. While working full-time at a highly stressful job. And came in 19th. I ate my treadmill prejudice pretty quick.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 23:01

We live in MN, and there isn't a decent indoor track at the club where Husband works out. So he runs on the treadmill for much of his training.

But as soon as he can get out to run, he does.

Treadmills for exercise are like grains for food: if that's what you have, use it. But there are better.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 23:59

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've read that if you set the treadmill to an incline it helps offset the whole "your feet are propelled backward for you" effect.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-15, 08:10

BF:

We own a good treadmill that is NOT a clothes rack. DH uses it regularly to enhance his fitness level, and I say that's great!

I prefer weight training, alternated with walking outdoors. But I'm thinking of using the treadmill more often now that it's chilly outside. Yes, bumping up the incline definitely increases the work, and it's far better than...well, sitting here at my desk all day making conversation on this forum.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-15, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Yes, bumping up the incline definitely increases the work, and it's far better than...well, sitting here at my desk all day making conversation on this forum.

Hey, you could fix up a table for your laptop, and walk while you make conversation.