Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-15, 19:27
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Eating Out on Low Carb

I'm not sure if this has been done already, but I thought it would be fun to have a current list going of low carb friendly foods/dishes (or variations of foods/dishes) from different restaurants (can be sit-down or fast food, whatever).

I don't mind compiling the list in this first post as a quick printable reference if y'all want to share your favorites.

A couple of my favorite places to eat (because they are easy for me) are Carl's Jr, Wing Stop, and In-N-Out Burger. Here's how the list will look as it's compiled:

Carl's Jr/Hardee's
Low Carb Thickburger - comes in 1/2 or 1/3lb, without ketchup, either one is about 7 carbs.

In-N-Out Burger
Protein Style Cheeseburger - 11 carbs, but you could probably leave off some of the ingredients for fewer carbs

Wing Stop
Louisiana Rub Wings - 0 carbs

If y'all have stuff to add to these restaurants, we'll just list them right under whatever restaurant they are served.

Sound helpful?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-15, 10:05

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Great idea.

Wendy's:
Baconator with cheese no bun or ketchup- 2 carbs
You can make it a double or triple, which makes it a calorie bomb, but it's so good.

Domino's Pizza:
Wings, 8pc, Plain plus Ranch dipping cup- 7 carbs total. 5 of those are from the chicken. Sneaky jerks.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-15, 17:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Atkins website has a generic, but very extensive, article on Eating Out.
http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/...g-out-love-this

Red Robin is very flexible for any diet needs. All burgers can be wrapped in lettuce, any side replaced with steamed broccoli or other veggies. Many salads fit the the Low Carb lifestyle.
Try their Customizer interactive menu, now also an app, to create and get nutritional and allergen information for whatever meal you want.

http://www.redrobin.com/customizer_hub#_customize
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-29-15, 08:54
The Patient Loser

BF:

Awesome, thanks for sharing Janet and Jess! I wish we had a Red Robin around here, ours shut down and left. They sound very LC friendly over there!

Jess, I haven't tried the baconater, but I'm going to have to!

Looks like I can't edit the OP, so we'll just have to settle for the whole thread. No matter! It's good info!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-29-15, 11:03

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:

Yeah, we never had a Red Robin. We get commercials for them so we must have one within 100mi though.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-29-15, 12:10

How about a Cracker Barrel? They have an actual Low Carb menu and their egg and double meat breakfast works all day.
Jersey Mike's and Jimmy Johns offer a "Sub in a Tub" option.

This is another great summary of low carb foods at many fast food outlets and chain restuarants. It was updated Dec 2014 and has many chain resturants you might not have considered before. Quite a few are adding the "interactive menus" to their websites so you can check the ingredients to add or subtract:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/ea...arbfastfood.htm
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-29-15, 12:26
The Patient Loser

BF:

Oh! We just got Jersey Mike's in this area, so I'll be excited to try that place! I would have totally skipped it if you hadn't mentioned it Janet!

Subway has their "chopped salads, which are really nice. I had the Spicy Italian salad (double meat), but in looking at their menu, there are 6g of sugars, which I have no idea where they come from, so that's a bummer. Anyway, the salad the way I had it was 12 carbs. Not great, but not horrible either in a pinch.

I love interactive menus---makes knowing what to eat when you go out a snap.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-29-15, 13:06

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I ended up at a Subway after picking up my Grandson from school and he was STARVING as usual so right across the street is Subway. After standing waiting for our turn I realized that I could also eat since I hadn't eaten lunch that day and I was hungry too.
So that's exactly what I had was the Italian chopped salad.
They do keep the dressing packets behind the counter so asking the worker about the sugar content in the dressings was a hassle because they have no clue and asking him to look at each packet made the people in line behind me...huff and puff.
But I got through it and was happy to be eating with GS.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-15, 13:05

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

i travel every other weekend 6 months of the year for my sport, so i a on the road a LOT!

here are our picks:
1. outback steak house- they have nutritional info on their site and are flexible with customizing order- for example, i love the french onion soup with provolone, hold the crouton, please

2. red robin- yum! they also are running an endless carrots promotion for those who can afford a few more carbs

3. jimmy johns "unwich" is a lettuce wrapped sandwich- you can choose whichever sandwich filling you like. online nutrition calculator.

4. pick a diner, any diner. they ALL have omelets, and i have never had one refuse to switch side to either salad or sliced tomatoes, which i like salted.

5. any italian place for casual pizza- i like to get a chiken cheesesteak or something similar and eat insides with a fork, plus i will split a greek salad with fiance.

6. when weather is pleasant, we sometimes run into a grocery store and grab one of the smaller roasted turkey packs from rotisserie. a block of cheese, and a premade container of sliced crudite. find ourselves a picinic table at a rest stop and have a picnic- we also carry a picnic blanket in the trunk, just for such an occasion. don't forget to grab cutlery from salad bar area!

7. pubs- wings, wings, more wings and a garden salad are often our pic. we also love crab, spinach or artichoke dip and we ask for celery instead of bread/pita/etc....
burgers or grilled chicken sandwiches are also easy, and we ditch bread, ask for side salad instead of fries.

8. cheesecake factory....has every food imaginable. go nuts.
i am particularly fond of the california omelet which has tomato, avo, swiss, and sour cream. i get sliced tomato on side, instead of home fries.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-15, 13:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

Quiznos has great salads, and you can usually hand the flatbread to your dining companion (or say, No, thanks).
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-15, 14:38

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Taco Bell - I get a couple chicken tacos in a soft shell because it's easier to scrape out the insides. Don't eat the shell. About 100 calories a piece and 0 carbs. Lots of sodium though.

Panera Bread - Apparently they have a hidden low carb menu. I normally get a Half salad - Chicken Caesar, Chicken Cobb, or Chicken Cobb with avocado. I get the dressing on the side.

5 Guys Burgers - You pick the toppings - they have cheese & bacon! Plus you can get them lettuce wrapped.

Not a restaurant but LC snack I recently discovered. Diamond Brand cocoa almonds in 100 calorie pk. 4g carbs. About 20 in a pk - so portion control. Crunchy and chocolate.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-15, 17:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Gas station or rest stop convenience stations:

string cheese or sometimes they will have babybel or even fresh cut cubes, if they have "deli"

deli meat!- i love when they have a boars head deli and you can order a sandwich and eat guts. one time i ordered triple meat, as traffic was 12 hour drive instead of 4 due to overturned tractor trailer, and my dog was hungry. i got quite a shocked look on that order

sometimes they have a great big individually wrapped pickle

hardboiled egg

nuts or seeds

jerky- my favorite right now is buffalo chicken!

a cup of coffee- you can mix in a scoop of protein powder (chocolate) that you keep in glove box or wherever with emergency baggy of one scoop per bag. stir in for a "poor man's mocha"

salads and little containers f celery/carrots with ranch are also often available

few other chains that are easy to customize:
chipotle or moe's burritos- both have great nutrition calculators, and you can get your stuff served in a bowl on lettuce- so think fajita chicken or steak, fresh salsa, sour cream, cheese, guac.....

uno's
has loads of pub style stuff like burgers, grilled chicken sandwiches, wings, salads with nice meat, etc....artichoke dip, etc, etc.....huge menu.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-15, 22:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

Even at a burger place, no one will care (or, most likely, know) if you eat the burger and discard the bun.

We go to Smashburger once in a while, and I just toss the bun from whatever I get. Husband gets some sweet potato fries, I have two or maybe three, then eat my burger. By the time I'm done, the fries are cold, and not nearly as good.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-15, 23:13

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

When I lived in Houston, we had a place called The Counter (originally from California). They served Made to Order Burgers - different sorts of meat (beef, chicken, turkey, etc), a choice of 6, or 7 types of cheese, a choice of 4 condiments from a list of 20, etc. etc. . There was also a choice of buns(sourdough, whole wheat, etc) or you could choose to have your burger served atop one of 2 different types of salad. The first time I went there I noted that just about half the patrons had their burger on top of salad instead of a bun. It made me feel so *normal*.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 05:48

Still waiting for The Counter franchise to open here..we seem to have every other one known to man. I did get to try it the Miami Airport.
Chili's and Applebee's are other places where asking for no bun or on a salad works, but check their "Lighter Options" menus too...Chili's has a salmon dish and a steak with grilled avocado.