Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 14:39

Plan: Atkins 72'
Stats: 329.4/254.0/179.4 Female 5'10"
BF:hmm..too much ;)
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary
I work in the field and do not think it will change as long as the money sources have a vested interest in the status quo, which they certainly do!

What makes all of this even more alarming is that most T2Ds don't even know they have a problem.

Hi Canary;

It is awful how insidious this disease is. And you are so right about the money...where would the medical field and pharmacies be if we were all healthy? They don't want a cure, no money in that.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 16:52

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamoney
Thank you Janet. I am going to share this on a couple of forums I'm on. The ADA is so reckless by not recognizing the self-healing, that Low Carb offers diabetics. Instead they promote the carb-laden diet, that ultimately leads to failure if followed as directed.
My A1C was 10.4 on 7/10 and my daily blood sugar reading was 255. Since turning to Low Carb my blood sugar readings on most days are less than 100, and a lot of days in the 80's. The highest since Aug 1st was 110. I have also lost 37 lbs. I get re-tested for my A1C in Oct. I can't wait to see the results.
When are the Dr.s , ADA, and so-called nutritionists, going to stop labeling low carb as a "fad" diet and pushing high carb diets, and expensive meds on the uninformed Type II diabetics?

Regardless of ADA, clinically I think it's changing. The local university hospital was advertising their newly diagnosed Type II diabetics support group and on the flyer they noted "low carbs snacks and diet soft drinks will be provided". I was kind of stunned!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 19:09

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Janet, thanks for posting. My husband is T2 and has had normal HbA1c ever since we started a LC woe. I pay zero attention to the ADA b/c I know what works! Unfortunately, I also have a 7 year old nephew who was diagnosed with T1 at age 4. His parents love him dearly and don't want to "experiment with his health." They've totally bought the "kids need carbs for energy and brain growth" crap put out by the ADA so, even tho they have seen how Hubby's BG stablized on LC and have seen how I've lost weight and am healthier, they're still putting 150 to 200 g of carbs per day into their 50 lb 7 year old and dealing with wildly fluctuating BG readings and HbA1C readings around 8.5....which their doctor tells them is FINE given my nephews size!

Grrrrr! It breaks my heart to know that my brother and sister-in-law are doing their best for their beloved little boy and are being so badly misled due to the ADA.

I just messaged my brother about the current storm on the ADA FB page and suggested him might want to take a look. I HOPE that he reads some of it and it opens his eyes. I also found mention of a community FB page called Type1Grit where T1s following LC diets (including parents of children) post and sent him that as well.

I just pray that the ADA doesn't respond to the negativity that they're getting by just taking down their FB page so that no one can see it.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 20:44

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
I just pray that the ADA doesn't respond to the negativity that they're getting by just taking down their FB page so that no one can see it.

That's the danger in this situation, as this firestorm may be too much for the ADA to handle. Ironically, the FB postings are lending a transparency to this that is very valuable among the readers and posters. Let's hope the info sharing continues and grows.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 07:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I was surprised by how many parents of Type1 children responded, as T1 is a small % of the diabetes community, but they appear to be the ones who are in desperate search for answers to control BG. One Mom said she hadnt had a full night's sleep for years, and there is concern about their children's growth, IQ, energy levels, etc. Hope that your brother reads it..it is a slog to read all the replies to replies but just about every favorite LC doctor, diet and video has been posted.

The ADA FB has had negative comments before...the Hope Warshaw article started a similar thread but they are like the Teflon man.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 10:30

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default ADA Facebook Backlash

I can't seem to link from it, probably because I'm on my phone. But the American Diabetes Association asked people on Facebook to post their BG numbers. And it was a spectacular media/PR fail. As this is the "Media Watch" section, I figured people would get a kick out of it.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 11:17

Plan: IF, LCHF
Stats: 175/110/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 130%

Isn't it amazing? We are suddenly pouring out of the woodwork.

The FB entry is discussed the Diabetes subforum too (I can't make the link work - sorry).
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 11:55

The links and discussion are here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=469887

The link to the original question posted morning of the 16th:
https://www.facebook.com/AmericanDi...8374033?fref=nf
But you have to slog through the replies to replies to replies, over 750 now, to see the LC results and member suggestions to ignore ADA and try Dr Bernstein, Dr Westman, Dr Gerber, Dr Hallberg, Dr Eenfeldt, etc...there are some excellent LCer posts within this long FB thread.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Sep-20-15 at 12:01.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 14:09

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I can barely find anybody replying NOT LC now, it's rather overwhelming. In an awesome way.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 17:26

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Just had to report...apparently repeatedly hearing about how LC was working to keep Hubby's T2 in check, combined with watching me lose weight has some impact on my brother and sister-in-law. My brother called me last night to tell me that he wasn't surprised by the backlash that the ADA is getting and they they decided a couple of months ago to modify my T1 nephew's diet to go lower carb!!! They're nowhere near as LC as Hubby and I are BUT my brother admitted that just lowering his carbs by about half (along with the reduction in insulin necessary with lower carbs) has had a huge stabilizing effect on my nephew's BG!

They're not yet where I wish they were (they're still thinking that occasional cookies, candies, and french fries are important enough for a kid that it's okay to do them and "cover" the bad effects with extra insulin) but, at least they're moving in the right direction. And they've joined at least one online FB community of parents with T1 kids so I suspect that question will be discussed by other parents whose input on the absolute LACK OF NECESSITY of feeding "poison" to a T1 kid will have a much greater impact than anything I could possibly say.

I'm doing a happy dance!

And, as a side benefit, my brother - who is seriously obese, probably close to 400 lbs - says that he has dropped about 30 pounds!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 21:07

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

bevangel, that is amazing news! Good luck to your family with this new way of thinking.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 21:21

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Just had to report...apparently repeatedly hearing about how LC was working to keep Hubby's T2 in check, combined with watching me lose weight has some impact on my brother and sister-in-law. My brother called me last night to tell me that he wasn't surprised by the backlash that the ADA is getting and they they decided a couple of months ago to modify my T1 nephew's diet to go lower carb!!! They're nowhere near as LC as Hubby and I are BUT my brother admitted that just lowering his carbs by about half (along with the reduction in insulin necessary with lower carbs) has had a huge stabilizing effect on my nephew's BG!

That is great to hear! Please keep us updated on his progress--somehow?
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-15, 01:55

#29   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-15, 08:27

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Janet. I clicked over to Diet Doctor to check out the newsfeed. Got sidetracked immediately into Success Stories. Love those!

Then I started to watch the 5 Tips video. Unfortunately, it's a tease. You only get two tips before you have to subscribe. But those are two great tips! I like Dr. Eenfeldt a lot, and read the blog regularly.

As the tide turns in favor of LCHF, and Dr. Atkins laughs from his suite in Low-Carb Heaven, I'm happy to be already on this bandwagon.

Thanks for all your help along the way.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-15, 08:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

That is wonderful news, Bev. The posts from the T1 parents were the most heartbreaking, because several of them were from parents who are still following the ADA guidelines.

That, and the adults who, as children, were diagnosed after the guidelines shifted, and spent their entire lives eating poison. Who knows what the sequelae will be for them, even though their BG is now stable, after years and years of spikes and troughs?