Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-15, 08:28

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Salt Intake Directly Linked to Obesity - CASH Study

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Scienc...XBL5w5bREko&p2=

And so it goes. What information does the study really give? They say in the article the mechanism of action is unknown, and the study comes from a survey that doesn't appear to have great controls. I'm guessing there are a number of confounding factors. Isn't processed, carby crap often loaded with salt?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-15, 09:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Healthy user bias.

Careers have been made around demonizing this or that. I guess when you're that far in, you simply can't say "oops, I was wrong" and back out of the hole you dug, you just have to keep digging.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-15, 10:16

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I used to get the main part of my salt on popcorn and potato chips. Considering the carbs, how could I blame the salt for my weight gain? Now I just take salt by itself - I'm like my animals - I like a salt lick.

It was reading Nancy's Salt Thread as well as several articles about salt that changed the way I think about it. I've had no problems with blood pressure - it's actually on the low side. Salt that isn't needed by the body is excreted, so I don't know how it can be a problem.

I don't measure the salt, I just consume whatever feels right - just like my animals do!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-15, 11:02

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Another observational/correlation type study--argggh! Just because A and B are often found together, does NOT necessarily mean that A causes B, or conversely that B causes A. Anybody with half a brain can surmise that obese teenagers are going to eat more heavily salted foods than teenagers of normal weight. And just more salt in general.

A study that properly tested this hypotheses would take teenagers of normal weight, put half on a diet with lower salt, and half on the identical diet with added salt. Then keep them on these strict diets for a good period of time--no deviations. So that's not going to happen!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-15, 11:30

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

They'd have to find teenagers who have no vitamin or mineral deficiencies to begin with in order to get true results. From my experiences, many teenagers have zink, iron and b-12 deficiencies from the SAD.
Unless they locked them up and fed them a controlled diet for some time before beginning the study, I don't know how any real accurate results could be found.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-15, 12:17

BF:

I have low blood pressure. So I add extra salt. I'm a fan of the pink Himalayan stuff.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-15, 17:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I find it plausible that salt, and msg, and sugar, beyond any direct effect, can cause trouble just by making Doritos etc. more appealing.

The use of "direct link" to describe even a strongly statistically significant correlation is a bit much.

An extra gram of salt daily causing 26 or 28 percent more obesity should be seen as an extraordinary claim, not something to go to town with.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-15, 20:47

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I'm trying to find words but I can't. Anything I think of just isn't enough to describe the amount of BS I read in this small article. "OK, we found a link between salt and obesity, we don't know how they can be linked causally or metabolically, but we think they could be linked through other factors, we gonna describe this link as direct to make a splash in the media to get some attention cuz we believe salt is bad and we just gotta tell people how bad it is cuz we're good people and doing stuff like we're doing is OK cuz we're trying to do good".

You know, good people don't just try to do good, they also try to do it well. I don't see that here.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-15, 22:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

If you aren't eating carbs, you could eat a handful of salt, and all you'd do is run for the biggest glass of water you could find, and an hour later, the salt would be peed out.

It's INSULIN that stores salt in the fat cells. Low insulin levels, low storage of salt. Yeah, those kids probably wouldn't have eaten the chips without salt on them. But they sure as heck wouldn't have eaten the salt if it weren't on the chips, would they?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-15, 08:18

BF:

Martin, I understand. It's hard not to be outraged at the amount of bullshit printed in the media about health and nutrition studies that sends people into a panic and/or completely misinforms the public about what is healthy and what isn't. It's malpractice (journalistic and healthcare) in my opinion.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-15, 10:31

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I find it plausible that salt, and msg, and sugar, beyond any direct effect, can cause trouble just by making Doritos etc. more appealing.

I can't stop eating salted nuts, no matter which type. But unsalted nuts? a small handful does me, even if I just shake a little salt on them, myself.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-15, 14:32

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:

Wish I had your problem. I binge on nuts and seeds, with or without salt. Lots of people seem to be safe with nuts if they're unsalted, though.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-15, 16:06

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I had to start using more salt when I switched from low-fat to low-carb. I was getting lots of cramps otherwise.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-15, 16:05

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Carby trans-fat laden french fries have lots of salt on them. So if you're getting fat from eating mounds of french fries, obviously the cause is the salt!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-15, 09:11

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehill
I can't stop eating salted nuts, no matter which type. But unsalted nuts? a small handful does me, even if I just shake a little salt on them, myself.

Bingo. Thanks for the tip. This hadn't occurred to me, yet I'm always searching and searching for the "salted" wondering why these unsalted ones even exist.