Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-15, 22:30

Plan: paleo
Stats: 215/196/170 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress:

Everyone's body is different - it may work for some people.

I tried it once and it certainly didn't work for me.

I would really question the idea that vegetarians lose the most weight.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-15, 08:58

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstone
Everyone's body is different - it may work for some people.<...>

You are certainly right there. If one diet book worked for all of us, there would only need to be one diet book.

I tried a number of different approaches before I tried low-carb/low-glycemic. I tried it during the time when 'complex carbohydrates' were being promoted as the end-all nutrition solution.

My DW cut the sugar and high-glycemic foods out for a female problem, she certainly didn't need to lose weight. But she lost 5 pounds and knowing I was trying so many different things suggested it to me (it took 5 pounds off me, you might want to consider it).

So I did some research and decided to give it a try. At the time I was doing the starvation thing with only small portions of meat and fat, which got me down to the moderately low 200s, and I was hungry all the time. That was back in 2000.

So adding more meat and cheese to my diet was enjoyable, and I started losing weight without being hungry all the time. Good deal.

I took off 50 pounds, and kept it off. It may not work for everyone, but it's working for me.

And I still believe we were meant to be omnivores, not herbivores (vegans) or carnivores.

Bob
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-15, 20:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

The thing that is interesting to me is the clear superiority over time of a high meat and fat diet over any other.

With the typical calorie restricted "balanced" diet, only 1% of obese dieters--ONE PERCENT!--will lose even 40 lbs. And people tend to be hungry all the time, because they are literally starving themselves.

Even accounting for those who drop out of studies of high meat and fat diets, the number who lose at least 40 lbs is 48%.

Huh. I wonder what the actual numbers and length of each study was? It's not responsible to try to compare studies of such disparate lengths. You'd have to extrapolate from the shorter ones to acquire the data to compare--and extrapolating that kind of information is not valid.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 06:06

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
With the typical calorie restricted "balanced" diet, only 1% of obese dieters--ONE PERCENT!--will lose even 40 lbs. And people tend to be hungry all the time, because they are literally starving themselves.
I lost over 100 pounds on a low fat, calorie-restricted diet back in the 1980s, before I knew better, . But it didn't stay off because I was *miserable*. I actually stuck to the plan religiously for a whole year, and during that entire year I was miserable, grumpy, starving and unhappy. I hated my eating plan and I hated my life. For the first time in years I was actually down into "normal" sizes and not "plus"sizes, and it didn't even make me very happy. So when crying myself to sleep another night, I snapped and decided I would rather weigh 300 pounds than live like this one more day! And lo, it came to pass with a vengeance. But with LC I never feel that way.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 07:00
Registered Member

Plan: Primal starting 2014
Stats: 269.7/233.1/175 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 39%

Wow, they averaged 2 kg of weight loss.

I would not notice that and why would anyone eat only food that drastically raise a persons blood sugar? That is what made 'ya fat in the 1st place.