Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 05:21

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
you do not have to be "consumed" by options to reverse your diabetes either. It is not about weight loss, but avoiding the damage done by high blood sugars. 172 after 2 hours is no control at all, but the combination of low carb and fasting would help you and is easy once you set your own rules for your health.
Dr Fung has a number of video lectures on Diabetes. This is his most recent one posted, watch it instead of Dr Furman http://intensivedietarymanagement.c...-video-lecture/

Barb,

I agree with Janet 100%. Diabetes doesn't have to be all consuming once you figure out how to eat and how to live with the way you are eating. I've been eating low carb for over a decade with only occasional lapses into slightly higher carb amounts but never back to the Standard American Diet. I now know what I am going to eat and when I am going to eat it. I keep my kitchen well stocked with my necessary foods and simplify everything. It's become close to a no brainer for me, taking little time or thought. It wasn't always this way but once I had it figured out, all of it, what to eat, how to prepare it, what to buy, it became very easy and still is. I too have added fasting in but 12-16 hour fasts daily from dinner one night to breakfast the next day. This too is easy and helpful. You get to decided what level of blood sugar control you are satisfied with, whether or not you want to attempt fasting, and what you want to eat. As with all decisions there are trade-offs and consequences. Deciding which ones you want to live with and which ones you don't is also up to you. My decision has been to keep my blood glucose level under 100 at all times. That guides my choices.

Yesterday on the summit Marc David talked about using difficult circumstances as opportunities. I certainly didn't choose to weight 245 pounds and have diabetes, but given that circumstance I have been able to turn it into my advantage, eating a much healthier diet, losing weight and controlling blood sugars, so instead of feeling deprived I can feel grateful for the gift of diabetes. It got me on a better path

Jean

Last edited by cotonpal : Sat, Mar-28-15 at 05:47.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 09:07
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Jason Fung
Stats: 173.4/144.2/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Okay, Janet. I'm in. Dr. Fung's interview at the diabetes summit is what led me to thIs forum in the first place, so won't let myself get distracted by ways to do this that might at first glance seem easier. I stopped eating between meals, so overnight I get a 14-15 hr fast. My bg hasn't improved much at this point, but I have only fasted one day (from breakfast to dinner. Lol!). One of my biggest concerns with doing this, is that I don't have the medical supervision . I will pretty much be on my own doing this, and depending on how I "feel" to be my guide. Oh well, I'll deal with it. I looked back over my fitness pal, and was surprised by my carbohydrate averages. I know when I mention spaghetti, everyone's eyebrows shoot up with a sharp intake of oxygen, but honestly, I eat spaghetti squash when I make spaghetti for myself. But I had been doing "whole grains", quinoa especially. Thank God I can give up that horrible tasting stuff! Anyway, I will view more from Dr Fung, but in the meantime, can I ask for clarification on your recommendation to get my carbs to under 50 a day BEFORE I begin an IF. And also...haven't heard anything thus far about life AFTER reversing diabetes. Do you intend to continue with a fast day say ,1x week, or is this a lifetime commitment I'm making, to at least fast every other day? I appreciate your input. I've read your posting and responses on the diabetes thread. It seems as though you have done a lot of research, not only for the benefit of yourself, but for others. Thank you in advance from me!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 09:23
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Jason Fung
Stats: 173.4/144.2/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Jean, I listened to Marc David, yesterday also. It did hit home in so many ways. I'm a people pleaser, and it is time to quit doing that, ...sounds so easy! I'm VERY impressed with you being able to keep your bg under 100! I truly believe that I am doing well if my bg is in the 120-130 range. Well, that's going to change! I am new to "forums" too, so I'm not sure how to get into the diabetes thread you and Janet are on, so if you see me wandering around the hallways, as it were, would you please pull me in? Lol. Thanks.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 11:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You are very welcome, I have always enjoyed researching so the invention of the internet has made me into a crazy woman.

Most people who use low carbohydrate diets to control their diabetes have had to do it on their own, like Steve Cooksey, though LC WAS the traditional medical advice until it was easier for doctors to just hand out medications instead. See the 1917 Diabetic Cookery book in this excellent, short article from another favorite doctor: http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes

Where are you located? I have a few directories of doctors in the US that support LC, some arrange an intital in-person meeting and consult/support by phone later. Same with the LC dieticians, there are an increasing number of paleo/LC RDs like Franziska, throughout the world, who can consult on diet by Skype.
Dr. Westman is now president of the ASBP and has been training other doctors in the use of LC for years. As mentioned in the talk, Dr. Fung has a Long-distance program, which is only about US$160 for a year. So getting medical supervision is not that hard, however being only on metformin now, there is not too much to supervise a PCP couldn't do.
In addition to spaghetti squash, which can get pricy off-season, add Zoodles [http://nomnompaleo.com/post/5695132...dles-meatballs] and steamed or sauteed thin slice cabbage.

When a person stays very low carb one of the primary benefits is a lack of hunger, which means a lower calorie intake. Both a good thing, that is what we want! Often they start skipping meals..they are just not hungry, because they are "burning their own fat" for fuel rather than carbs, and driven to eat every three hours by blood sugar swings. Many in our local LC support group don't eat breakfast and eat within a six hour window. Dr. Westman doesn't use a fixed fasting protocol but instructions have always been starting with Dr. Atkins, only "Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full". That is so much easier to do when you have the stable and low blood sugars of a fat-burner.

Dr Fung addresses what people do "after" in his "Patient Story" posts, it varies. I find it easy to eat in a six-hour window everyday so that is my plan, but will add occasional 24-48 fasts for the other health benefits like cancer protection.

After you have 25 posts, or now if you join this website for a small donation , you can PM me so I can send his instructions. Joining also removes all those irritating ads for diets that don't work!

How to Find Us!: I always enter the forum from this page..book mark this link:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php? See all the different forums on different topics? you want the one under Health, about Diabetes: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
In that forum there are two active "threads" now where you can "post" on the Summit and Dr. Fung. But read back through all the threads for the past year and you will find many good discussions and links to information, you can always ask a question on any thread, it will pop up back to the top and we will see it.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Mar-28-15 at 11:19.