Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-15, 10:56

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was successful on WW in 2001. I lost 35lbs and was 5lbs away from goal when they stopped offering it at work. I stayed about the same weight for about 5 years. Then started really gaining at the end of my 30's...like 20+ a year for several years.

As part of a wellness intiative at work, they brought WW back. This time the new points plus and some no counting thing. Couldn't lose more than 5lbs on it. It was super frustrating, because it worked before. I didn't realize how much they changed things.

I have also done LA weight loss and we had to eat 2 of those protein bars a day. Holy crap! Whatever they put in them made me binge eat those darn bars. I still lost 25lbs but quickly gained it back.

So yeah, I was feeling like a failure. If you're not losing on any if those programs, somehow it's your own fault. Took me awhile to realize that the diet had failed me not the other way around.

I have to wonder if when these diet companies get so big that if they really care about people actually losing weight or if they are just interested in selling product. Just about every one I've looked into wants to sell me some product or requires I eat their processed crap.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-15, 14:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Weight Watchers never ever worked for me. I ran out of points around 2pm and suffered or bailed. And I don't think I ever lost a pound.

Still, it's always been a bizarre microcosm of "the latest" weight loss thinking. And possibly it could work for someone who a) doesn't have a Paleolithic Pancreas and b) was getting some actual scale-dropping feedback.

I went on a research binge once, trying to figure out how anyone could stick with a Nutri-system program. And it turned out, some people, like the lady in the lead article, have to be told how to eat.

And then they quite happily do so.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-15, 14:23

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia
There's a link to the 70s version of WW on that same site with the guidelines, more flashbacks! I remember now the skim milk powder made into "shakes," the liver once a week (that I faithfully cooked, took a bite of then threw away), and the weird vegetable list.

http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/old1972ww.html
Man, talk about a spartan eating plan - no more than 4 ounces of cheese *per week*, only 4 eggs per week and they must be cooked without fat, 1 tbsp of fat (which must not be butter since I see butter is on the illegal list) per day, instant non-fat skim milk. I remember WW from those days - weird recipes for example a "muffin" made from crumbling up a slice of bread and mixing it with an egg and baked in a muffin pan.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-15, 14:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I remember WW from those days - weird recipes for example a "muffin" made from crumbling up a slice of bread and mixing it with an egg and baked in a muffin pan.

That's basically french toast.

I think we have weirder recipes. French toast from pork rinds?!? Cheese danish from eggs and cream cheese?
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 12:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Yes, but I think the LC recipes may be better, they've sort of been "user-tested" with lots of tweaks.

Looking over the WW stuff, I think they purposely prescribed the food lists and recipes to give people weird little things to think about to help with the deprivation they might experience while "dieting."

I don't remember it being so low-fat and low in protein, that list is stark, but as mentioned my mom was pro-butter so she must have added it to things!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 12:48

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
That's basically french toast.

I think we have weirder recipes. French toast from pork rinds?!? Cheese danish from eggs and cream cheese?

Yes, but once we're done making them, we don't have to pretend to like them.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 16:24
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I'm all for novel recipes.

Pork rind french toast was horrific to me.

Mocks are a 'concept recipe' I'm using right now with protein powder, egg and creamcheese and a few other things that is working great (solid result I slice thinly) to hold 'stuff' on top (could be used for anything. peanut butter, pizza toppings, garlic cheese spread, egg or chicken salad, etc.).

I think every diet has a hard time with the things people aren't allowed to eat anymore. I adore cauli 'rice' with GF soy sauce but despise cauli in every other form and it doesn't taste remotely like twice-baked cheesy potatoes to me. But I guess to some people it does. Having such things seems to help people stay on plan.

PJ
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-15, 14:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I think taste buds differ so much. I ADORE pork rind french toast, for instance. Could never get into the flax muffins.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 11:00

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/158.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:Follows Behind Me!
Progress: 81%

I will NEVER forget the baked calf's liver from the 1980's WW...OMg...the most disgusting thing in the world. Part of the program then was that you had to eat liver once a week. When it was baked, it still jiggled!!!! Gross and then some. I threw it away and quit WW.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-15, 17:40

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I thought WW was weird. At 185 pounds, I was at the minimum amount of points allowable for anyone doing WW. Anyone. I was eating as little as a 105 pound person would eat on the plan. Really?

I was starving and failed at it again and again.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 10:31

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Via Google, I found the following list of the Original WW plan:

Quote:
Menu
Breakfast: 1 egg or 1 ounce hard cheese or 2 ounces fish or 1/4 cup cottage or pot cheese
1 slice bread, No rolls, bagels, biscuits muffins, crackers, cereals, or special breads were allowed.

Lunch: 4 oz. fish or lean meat or poultry, or 2/3 c cottage cheese or 2 oz hard cheese or 2 eggs.
All you want of unlimited vegetables (any not listed on the restricted list below)
1 slice bread

Dinner: 6 ounces lean meat or fish or poultry
1 portion restricted vegetables (see list below)
All you want of unlimited vegetables

Required Snacks: A total of three fruits, one of them an orange or grapefruit
2 cups skim milk

Still Hungry? Eat unlimited amounts of bullion broth, vegetables not on list, calorie-free bevereges.

Permitted Fruits
1 apple
1/2 cantaloupe
1/2 grapefruit
2" wedge of honeydew
1 orange
1/4 medium-sized pineapple
(One kind reader provided additional information regarding fruits, the following is a list of fruits you may also use. Thanks, Carol!)
1 cup of strawberries
1/2 cup raspberries or blueberries
1 peach or nectarine
2 apricots
1 plum

Forbidden Fruits
Bananas
Cherries
Watermelon
Grapes
Dried Fruits

Restricted Vegetables
Artichokes
Bamboo shoots
Beets
Brussels sprouts
Carrots
Eggplant
Green beans
Okra
Onions
Parsnips
Peas
Pumpkin
Scallions
Squash (yellow)
Tomato
Tomato juice
Turnips

Fish was to be eaten at least five times per week, liver at least once a week, and beef, lamb, and dark meat turkey no more than three times per week.

In a Nutshell, the Diet consisted of:

Protein 4 (70 calories each)
Milk 2(90 cal. each)
Bread 4(80 cal each)
Fat 2(40 cal each)
Veggies 3 (unlimited if non starchy)
Fruit 2 (60 cal each)

You also had the option of choosing 7 floaters (weekly) from any of the food groups as well as 750 optional calories.

It almost sounds doable. Almost! Hard to imagine one egg and a piece of white bread as a breakfast that would take you all the way to lunch. Oh--but you can fill up with bouillon.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 11:41

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well, that's amazingly close to how I eat when I'm being very vigilant and clean - except take out the bread and the skimmed milk, add intermittent fasting and BACON.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 13:20

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Well, that's amazingly close to how I eat when I'm being very vigilant and clean - except take out the bread and the skimmed milk, add intermittent fasting and BACON.
Ah, but that's all the difference in the world!

I don't eat much fruit, or even bacon. However, I'm all about heavy cream, butter, mayo, and salad dressing. Liver and tuna? Call the cat.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 13:23

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

You can see weight watchers recipe cards from 1974 here. They never called themselves "low carb" and threw toast around sometimes, but it's obviously pretty low-carb. And hysterically revolting.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 14:36

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/158.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:Follows Behind Me!
Progress: 81%
Unhappy

Another gross WW recipe called for a small can of tuna, a slice of bread crumbled, a little chopped onion, add some milk, stir it all up and bake it.