Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: New Atkins
Stats: 225.4/218.0/120.0 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Anyone having constant diarrhea in induction or beyond?

I know this isn't a pleasant topic, but I'm curious about it. I'm on my 9th day of induction and I'm had constant diarrhea the whole time.

The only explanation I can find is "your body is adjusting to the new way of eating". Anybody know the specifics of why someone would have this problem, and is anyone else experiencing it this frequently?

I stay at 20 carbs a day, get probably 50/50 meats and vegetables along with a little heavy cream and cheese. I haven't really been eating any convenience products, mostly just stuff I make myself.

I was hoping it was my body being overwhelmed with the amount of fat I'm burning and trying to get rid of it, but I know it doesn't work that way.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 13:54

Plan: LC HF MP IF
Stats: 565/386/282.5 Male 73
BF:no/thank/you
Progress: 63%

When it comes to my body, fat provides for a faster trip the restroom than fiber ever has. And like your quote, when I first get started and my body is in transition I do tend to have some similar issues. But quickly, usually 4-5 days, I am back to regular and far less concerning waste disposal routine. Maybe post a couple days with a menu's for review.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 14:14
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks. I ate pretty bad carb-wise before I started, so it's probably a huge transition for my body. Maybe that factors in too. I just have a lot of curiosity when it comes to why the body does the things it does when you change habits.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 14:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Could you have a lactose intolerance issue that is showing up now because you're eating more dairy?

Are you eating any low carb products like wraps or things with sugar alcohols? Coconut oil?

It could just be your body getting used to eating fat.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 14:38

Plan: You tell me...
Stats: 224/209/140 Female 5,4
BF:yes. it is.
Progress: 18%

Try psyllium husk, it also works for constipation too. It's a natural fibre doesn't count in your carb count and should have you comfortable again very quickly.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 15:53
Inconceivable!

Plan: DANDR '72
Stats: 205/169/155 Male 69.5"
BF:

Did you, by chance, change any medications or supplements lately?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 11:39
Registered Member

BF:

No lactose intolerance or supplement/medication change. Maybe a few sugar alcohols. I do eat those sugar-free mints sometimes.

I think maybe it's the drastic change from a very bad diet (lots of processed foods and sugars) to low-carb and more fresh foods. We'll see how long it lasts.

I'm very excited with the results I'm getting on this diet so far. Way better results than with counting calories!

Last edited by rocker : Thu, Feb-05-15 at 15:42.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-15, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/173/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 31%

Could be due to dehydration as you lose water and minerals on LC. Take in more liquids, and have some broth.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-15, 09:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Try to increase your salt intake to make for all you're losing by the diet and the diarrhea. Read the salt thread for more info. I suppose it could be low sodium, but haven't heard of that as a symptom before.

Oh yeah, you didn't answer if you are using coconut oil. MCT oil will do it too. If you are using either of them, either stop or cut way down and gradually work up to a bigger dose.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Feb-17-15 at 09:49.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-15, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/173/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 31%

The other explanation could be due to a higher intake of protein. It can lead to digestive disturbances. (http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fa...ml#.VONv3PnF-So)

Remember, it's a high fat, not a high protein diet.

Also, you might want read Peter Attia's blog (he emphasizes the importance of enough sodium and fat intake): http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/what-i-actually-eat
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-15, 11:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Maybe a few sugar alcohols. I do eat those sugar-free mints sometimes.

If you only used sugar and have not had sugar alcohols before...even if only a little SF mint...stop them right now. Good summary from Doreen: http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 14:13

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 332/282/250 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 61%

Also, if you are on Metformin, the increased amounts of fat you are taking in could cause a reaction like this.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 14:29

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

HI Rocker!

I get that sometimes (I've been on this WOL since last June) when I eat a particularly high fat menu; butter AND bacon AND cheese AND more butter and fatty meat AND whip cream and a little more butter/olive oil...

It's not a bad thing (unless you can't GET to the bathroom! ) and I find it does help with the numbers on the scale going down.

Best to you,
Jammie
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-15, 11:59
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I get diarrhea when I switch to lowcarb it usually last 3 weeks and psyllium husks help a bit.

Induction is the process of inducing your body to make enzymes for metabolizing food. Some people are more sensitive to the process.

I try to avoid induction issues by lowering my carbs instead of jumping to induction. For example starting at 50 and lowering each day by 5 that I tolerate it well.

Best wishes for you!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-15, 17:19

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

I have had that issue for years although I have just been in LCHF for 6 months. I am fructose intolerant so after I gave up all fruit during induction, it mostly went away. But for some reason it has come back with a vengeance the last few weeks. I think I have narrowed it down to maltodextrin in some bullion that I bought. But cauliflower also seems to be a problem too. What happens is that if it gets started then all kinds of things will aggravate it. Take some Immodium and then do an elimination diet eliminating anything that might be cuasing it. Try eliminating anything with artificial sweetner in it. Too much fat can also be a problem. When things get back to normal add things back in one at a time.

It could also be stress. Good luck. It is not fun.

Some other things to try eliminating
cabbage
broccoli
cauliflower
squash

anything that could possibly have high fructose corn syrup (some mayo, most ketchup, coolwhip, some peanut butter etc)