Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-15, 14:41

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but it seems like there's resentment about gluten free eating being expressed in this thread. I don't see why. Gluten free and sugar free is something many of us are all about. I personally don't eat gluten alternative breads and desserts, unless I make them myself from the LC things I use.

My sincere apologies for sounding like that. I think we should be able to discuss all aspects of eating on this thread I am really sorry.

My experience is that gluten free foods are all the rage now and it is difficult to find sugar free in stores or restaurants. For instance in my grocery store they have a huge section of gluten free, and so called health foods, but I cannot find sugar free mayo, catsup, peanut butter, salad dressing etc etc.
Like you I make my own.

I am not diabetic but I have a severe reaction to High fructose corn syrup, so I totally understand and support being able to find out what is in any food in a restaurant without being considered difficult. I also spend a lot of time in the store reading labels and sometimes the print is very small.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-15, 15:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Like I said, I'm probably reading intent into it. :-)

Back in the early 2000's there were a TON of Low carb products... trust me when I say the industry wasn't doing us any favors. They were as monstrous, awful tasting, and unhealthy as the gluten free products are now.

Sad to say, you're probably better off either making your own or ordering them from specialty places online, like netrition.com.

I use so little ketchup that when I do use it, I just use the regular stuff. My mayo brand has no sugar. Nor does my peanut butter or salad dressing (usually make my own). I guess there just isn't much I use on a regular basis that has sugar.

Can you look for some different brands?

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Feb-06-15 at 15:47.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-15, 16:29

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

In my experience "gluten-free" foods, unless naturally gluten-free like vegetables or nuts, etc... are just another form of junk food.

When I read wheat belly that was one of his big cautions... don't fall for the gluten-free junk. Keep it natural.

It's just that when you can't be 100% perfect and make your own meals from scratch everyday, it would be nice to be able to walk into a grocery store and buy a ready-to-eat item that is not full of junk. You can't trust a ready made salad because you don't know what's in the dressing - it could be full of sugar and gluten...you can't trust chicken that has a mysterious sauce, or buffalo wings because they might be breaded, or sausage because it might have filler. Even soy sauce has gluten in it. hello. who would have guessed?

Options for safe food are limited. There's only so many celery stalks, cheese sticks and hard boiled eggs a girl can eat.

SO that makes me an orthorexic?? So be it.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-15, 17:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
If you're gluten-free you're just a fussy, trend following hipster. Ditto if you're paleo.
If you're low carb you're just a lazy fatty who wants to eat bacon and butter while deluding yourself into thinking you're healthy.
If you're a vegetarian, though, that's admirable because either you have a lot of compassion for animals or you're a health food nut who, unlike the meat loving paleo and low carb people, actually has the discipline to choke down quinoa and tofu salads everyday to live longer and have a hot bod...good for you!

Oh, gosh, too too too true!

I have a pet peeve (pun intentional) with the Animal Rights movement having made "vegan the default." I've been an activist since I was twelve, have never broken my fur pledge, and ran my own amateur cat rescue for over fifteen years. Yet people in the movement are always shocked when they find out I'm not a vegan.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-15, 20:55

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Oh, gosh, too too too true!

I have a pet peeve (pun intentional) with the Animal Rights movement having made "vegan the default." I've been an activist since I was twelve, have never broken my fur pledge, and ran my own amateur cat rescue for over fifteen years. Yet people in the movement are always shocked when they find out I'm not a vegan.

Don't let them get you down!
Some of the biggest carnivores I've known love animals (and eating them! ) . My steak loving co-worker has 2 rescue pitbulls. I also had a friend who fostered stray cats and regularly trapped ferals to spay/neuter and release and did so on her own dime because, despite her best efforts, she couldn't get community funding from the city council...something I found totally disgraceful. She wasn't a vegan or vegetarian, though.
Almost all paleo people hate factory farming just as much as any vegan.
Plus, some vegans have some ideas that I actually feel are cruel in their own way. For one thing, having cats and dogs eat vegan. With cats, even many of the people who first pushed the idea have backed off on it because it really is just too damaging for them. Dogs are technically meat inclined omnivores, so apparently it can work for them, in that it's not as dangerous as it is for cats, but I feel like it's the difference between surviving and thriving. Particularly with the evidence coming out that grains and a high carb diet are harmful to humans, I can't imagine any canine species doing better with them.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 02:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

"They made me an orthorexic!"

I sometimes get nostalgic for the days when I was adventurous and always up for trying new restaurants or interesting things to eat. I just don't enjoy eating in restaurants anymore because there are so many things that get "messed with": the meats have MSG or other additives, even if simply cooked; salad dressings have soy oil; veggies can be topped with stuff full of corn syrup (even sour cream can have wheat flour added).

I do appreciate that restaurants are proud to be "gluten-free," they want to try to please their customers; it's just that gluten-free isn't a sound or meaningful concept for what you might get in return.

And since restaurants buy in bulk, they're probably at the mercy of whatever is put into the ingredients they use, which are usually laced with all kinds of additives, chemicals, or other toxic stuff. It's just become "normal" now to assume that poisons will be added and you have to deal with it.

Seriously, a small cooked steak or chop and plain steamed broccoli -- what's the point unless it's to participate in a social occasion. Otherwise I could make something of much better quality at home. It's tricky to shop at supermarkets also but at least you can read the ingredients first and know if you want to avoid something.

The consequences of allergic reactions or feeling ill aren't "in our heads." We've detoxed somewhat (though it's a continuing process I think) and know what's not right for us. So now this is twisted into being some kind of neurotic (along with being judged as a PITA by people who think we're just being "too sensitive")?

I've been seeing this crop up for a while, it seems to be a new way to try to reverse blame for a broken food system on those who are trying to say "NO" to having all that nice food that so many people, animals, and the earth worked hard to create being RUINED.

It's just insulting on so many levels.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 11:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/143/155 Female 5'10''
BF:38%/21.4%/24.9%
Progress: 117%

Quote:
NancyLC:
When I was in college there was a young woman who only ate white food: Cauliflower, yogurt, etc. Now that is disordered, but I'd call that more of an OCD thing.

This is quite common for people with autism.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 15:39

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
That is SUCH a good way of summing it up.
It's exactly where the attitudes about vegetarian/vegans compared to gluten-free/low carbers come from. I know for a fact that a lot of people who work in food service judge customers who buy gluten-free products, even if they have them on the menu. There's also been a lot of articles about "why you should re-think going gluten-free"
It's all about what society at large thinks of your dietary restrictions.

If you're gluten-free you're just a fussy, trend following hipster. Ditto if you're paleo.
If you're low carb you're just a lazy fatty who wants to eat bacon and butter while deluding yourself into thinking you're healthy.
If you're a vegetarian, though, that's admirable because either you have a lot of compassion for animals or you're a health food nut who, unlike the meat loving paleo and low carb people, actually has the discipline to choke down quinoa and tofu salads everyday to live longer and have a hot bod...good for you!

YES, thank you! I used to be a McDougaller, and was a member of his forum. I spent a lot of my time defending lowcarbers from just this type of attack. McDougall himself likes to say "everyone likes to hear good things about their bad habits". I can't tell you how often this is repeated on the forum regarding lowcarbers, and how absolutely insane it makes me. Needless to say I was summarily banned for being a troll.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-15, 13:24

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Eliminating all grains from my diet was interpreted by some family members and friends as me desiring to go gluten-free. By definition, I am, but being free of gluten was not the main reason I eliminated grains. I was wondering why I started getting gluten-free foodstuffs as gifts during holidays and birthdays until my wife told me that people thought I'd jumped on the fad bandwagon and gone gluten free.

Wow! That was a surprise. Some of the gluten-free products I received as gifts were so loaded with carbs and sugar that I can't imagine anyone with a gluten intolerance eating this stuff!

As for being picky about restaurants, if I'm invited to a pizza joint where my choices are carbs, higher carbs, and more carbs, I politely suggest a different option or decline. If that means that I'm orthorexic, then I'll carry that flag proudly!!!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-15, 13:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh yeah, GF food is worse, carb-wise, than gluten food. They have to add all kinds of starches to make it rise (tapioca, potato, etc).

I've had people give me GF cookbooks too. They get donated to charity. There are low carb, sugar free, gluten free cookbooks and some are actually pretty good.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 16:57

Plan: Low Carb & Real Food
Stats: 260/160/170 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 111%

Orthorexia is not a real disease classification yet. If it does make it, it will be about people who have OCD or Anorexia Nervosa.

That means people with very serious underlying issues could end up expressing this issues into eating behaviors. It doesn't mean low carb or healthy people concerned about food are all diseased.

Crazy stuff though.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 17:00

Plan: Low Carb & Real Food
Stats: 260/160/170 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoryBlain
This is quite common for people with autism.

Yeah - I know a few little kids with autism and they have OCD and ADHD tendencies too. It's tough on them. I feel for what they're going through.

But you're right - the orthorexia is attached to people with OCD. So unless the majority of people are now OCD - they can't be orthorexic.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-15, 22:43
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I have found in myself, and observed in others, that when you are first attempting to RADICALLY change something that is a very fundamental part of your lifestyle, like your eating, it does actually require a certain "overdose of focus" on the subject at hand.

People don't kick alcoholism by occasionally reflecting upon it. It takes a very serious focus, one day-hour even minute at a time. I believe the same goes for radically shifting your eating habits, especially if this affects your schedule and timing.

If you are someone who lived on fast food drive thru's and worked the rest of the time, and didn't cook at all, then shifting to something where

a) 98% of everything you called food is now banned because it's not actually food but you didn't know until now;

b) every source of instant food you have is now banned because they are all carb-fructose-gluten-soy-msg-stuffed frankengestibles and if you want actual food you need to cook

c) you now have to:

* PLAN ahead for meals and their components
* SHOP ahead for those
* PREP ahead for those (defrost, marinade, chop, etc.)
* EAT at home for real not while driving
* CLEAN the substantial mess cooking makes esp. if you're new to it

d) You suddenly have to radically revise any social plans because everyone you eat with, even if they are actively dying of diabetes and other disease, is living on frankengestibles that addict you or tempt you or just don't offer options for you. Now you have social drama to add to everything else, or issues with having to get home early and prepare and eat something before you go...

The TIME this takes, the EFFORT this takes, can literally be -- initially -- almost all consuming, when added to a full time job let alone commutes or church or family or other time-consuming elements in a person's life.

And, sometimes, "sticking with it" requires a certain mindset where you NEED to focus on it fully, to keep you with it. How many times do people not go offplan because they spent the evening reading lowcarb chocolate dessert recipes -- or success stories, or planning a workout routine -- instead of eating badly? Probably many.

So I would submit that "a moderate but temporary" degree of "orthorexia" -- that being the "unbalanced overdose of focus" on obsession with the nature of your food -- is in fact both normal and necessary in early days and sometimes cyclically in a person's new-eating-and-life-plan.

Maybe it's not balanced but it is balance-ING something that is equally unbalanced in the OTHER direction, initially, so it actually has to swing farther-out to compensate.

The "negative" side of the over-focus -- beating oneself up, or others, about it -- that is bad no matter what. That is not a part of any healthy psychology. It's difficult to avoid as a side effect of course, but usually it stays within healthy limits, at least, if the people around you are also relatively psyche-stable.

PJ
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-15, 09:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I have found in myself, and observed in others, that when you are first attempting to RADICALLY change something that is a very fundamental part of your lifestyle, like your eating, it does actually require a certain "overdose of focus" on the subject at hand.

So true! I said to a friend when I started Atkins: "I've turned my way of eating inside-out and upside-down!"

And now, going gluten-free can be a nightmare. I'm fortunate that I live in an area with lots of locally owned restaurants and a real chef in the back. I can tell them I can't have gluten, and they respond like champs.

So yes, to the average person, I'm freakishly restricted and overly fussy.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-15, 10:13

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
People don't kick alcoholism by occasionally reflecting upon it. It takes a very serious focus, one day-hour even minute at a time. I believe the same goes for radically shifting your eating habits, especially if this affects your schedule and timing.
Yes, this seems to be an apt comparison.

I think of my "LC orthorexia" more as one would think of a hobby. For example, no one else may understand the passion to poke around flea markets looking for figurines of dairymaids, of which you already own a thousand. But it isn't considered a disorder. Um, that isn't my particular passion, but you get the idea. Or perhaps a religion? Never perfect, but always on the road you consider righteous.

I'm pretty happy with my LC support group right here. Thanks, all!