Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 250/236/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 13%

Kara,
I added you to buddy list too ! How has your day been for you so far? Mine is ok, TOM and well having a hard time eating, that should past by tomorrow. Well better get back to work, will check back in later!
Monique
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 13:42
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%
Default INSULIN LEVEL

hi danyele,
you might want to reconsider testing your insulin. my sugars are always great. i stick my finger everyday, just to make sure ,and they are wonderful, but my obgyn, told me that is possible, to have good sugars, and a high insulin. maybe you arent having all the side effects that i have had, to warrent insulin testing. i am just glad that i know now. now, i can start to fix it. i had the wt gain, the acne, and extra hairs, with my PCOS. years ago, the doctors, just treated me like i was a fat pig,that ate too much, and i was a vain person.. now, i know something wasnt right, but they didnt listen. my doctor now is great. i will let you know, how i make out. i am for any meds (not really) that will assist my weight loss!! ttyl.
paige17257
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 15:00
Registered Member

BF:

Paige,
Where in Pa are you from? I am originally from Pa, only in Nc because military brings me here.
Monique
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 17:55
Registered Member

Default hi monique

hi,
i live in southcentral, kinda near the maryland border. where were you from?
paige17257
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 20:12
Registered Member

BF:

Paige,
I am from Hershey Pa. I probably travel through your area everytime I get home, hitting I 95.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 08:07
Registered Member

Default cool!!

hi monique!

hey thats cool!! i lovvvvvvvve hershey park. yummm.
did you ever hear of chambersburg? thats where i grew up!
ttyl,
paige17257
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 10:25

Plan: trying low carb, hi fat /
Stats: 220/180/165 Female 5'11" / 71 inches / 178cm
BF:not tracking
Progress: 73%
Talking I was good at the Canada Day Festival!!...

...but I forgot sunscreen again (my face is pinky red) !

Monique, thx for the reply, and I wondered if you (or others) knew why some people stay at 100mg, and dont go up to 1500mg? My doc only has mee at 1000.... Is it b/c of the gradual-loss theory maybe?

Also, I discovered that I have started to need breakfast now, my stomach is relentless about 10 mins after I wake up. B4-Metformin I could skip BFST np, now I am starving for at least something.

Q: What are some of the the best low carb breaky's you guys eat that are quik?
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 15:53
Registered Member

kara,
you should eat breakfast anyways!! they say, that it messes up your insulin, by skipping meals. so, you might do more harm than good. sometimes, i am just too busy for breakfast. i would like to know some good quickies or bars to eat too.

they just started me on my metformin today. i hope it agrees with me. i hate taking new stuff.
ttyl,
paige
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 16:16

Red face on 100mg, i notice the diff when i DONT eat breaky (*yuck*)

ie: where's the immodium...if i eat 3suare, i'm better.
read all the advice on line about metformin, espc that it helps to eat a bit, take the pill, finish the meal, ok?

Kara
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 16:39
Registered Member

BF:

I am a sucker on breakfast, it takes all I have to eat but I am on Atkins and well I can't skip it, not good to do so. I usually eat eggs.... I am so sick of them but I eat them to get them out of the way. I love the Atkins, I feel so much better since started it. I try to consume about 120-150oz of water a day. I am on the glucophage xr 500mg a day. Works fine for me. My weight has been yo yoing the past week. I started out at 212lbs.... a few days later I was down to 210lbs.... days later up to 214lbs...now I am back down to 210lbs! I am not letting this get my down because I can feel in my clothing a change. Just contributing this to TOM.
Monique

P.S... Paige,
Yes I know Chambersburg well! I miss Pa, but having a hubby as a Marine being sent here and there you have to go with the flow. I am just hopeing we can stay here in NC for awhile. It is alot closer to home then Okinawa! LOL........
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 10:14

Default what is the final dose of met youre working up to taking?

is 500mg all youre meant to take total, or are you working up to a higher dose gradually, i forget.

I am at 1000 now, and know of people on 2500mg!
I wonder why some of us are on 500 and some on 5x that?

I think eventually I would like to have it 1500, but have a doc appt in a week, so will ask the q.

gotta run!
PS "fought" (calmy cried & talked) with hubby last night. he cheated on me a while ago, I took him back, and he sez we need to see (i agree) a counsellor. Since my diagnosis, I havent had time to deal with the cheating, and pretend it didnt happen (ha ha), and he still wonders if we shouldve seperated, but he stayed b/c he cant bear the thought of losing me. The cheating was a bj from an aquaintance, not a lover, and one who he saw only the 1x, and that I have nvr met.
Our 4 yr anniv is in august, we've been co-hab since '92. I love him to bits.
What do you think?
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 10:20

Default PS about my "Loss"

i also told him i feel like I have "lost" a child, b/c of my pcos diagnosis, and learning & realizing for the 1st time that I may not be able to have kids. I took this for granted b4, and now I am a TAD freaked about it. I have always wanted kids, and the "plan" was to look into ttc from 31-33yr old for me (now 31), and tcc no later than 33. Now he sez he's not ready & wants to try when he's 35. He just turned 30. This is all news to me. I told him my chances were better the earlier I try, and that I understand this will freak him out. We promised to talk more about it w/ a counsellor.

What do you think?
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 11:01
Registered Member

BF:

Kara,
I am so sorry to hear what you are going through.
First of all let me get into the Glucophage thing. I am only takinging 500mg cuz it is the Extended release. Norm you only take 500mg a day some work up to 1000 a day but for now I am at 500 which seems to be working well for me.

I am not sure what to say about the cheating thing. You might be asking the wrong person. The last relationship I was in prior to hubby was a bad one. An abusive one and cheating.
I was with him for 8 yrs and he cheated on me. The first time he said he was sorry and and appologized to my family etc... swearing he would never again... I forgave him and he did it again. As a matter of fact within those 8 yrs he cheated on me and I forgave him 10xs more after then. But circumstances are different. He mentally and physically abused me. Leaving me to believe that I could not make a go of it without him.
I took enough of it the last time he was abusive to me. Long story short we had friends over. I was at the store with my friend and when I came home he looked at me and he did not like what I was wearing and thought I had to much makeup on. he called me upstairs very nicely in front of everyone. Took me into the bathroom and stood behind me with his arms wrapped around me kissing my neck asking me what I see wrong in the mirror? I said nothing. He then took his hand and smeared my lipstick all over my face and grabbed me by my hair and slammed my face into the mirror, accusing me of looking like a hoar! Knocked me down to the ground and pulled a gun out and held it to my head. By that time everyone ran upstairs, seen him standing over me with this gun at my head telling him to leave me go and put it away. At that time I don't know what came over me but I stopped crying and told him if he was going to do it pull the trigger but I was not going to leave this world crying and begging for his mercy at his feet, looking him straight in the eyes. He got up kicked me and left. I grabbed my things and never seen him since.

It is hard to know what to do. You have to know in your heart what is best for you and your situation. He suggested going to counseling so my first step I would do is to go through with that if you love him.

Please know I am here if you need a shoulder to cry on or advice. I am just a keyboard and telephone away sweetie, Hang in there.
If there is anything I can do just let me know.
Monique
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 14:17
Registered Member

the doctor put me on 500mg, twice a day, yesterday of metformin, she told me this was the lowest dose.. i guess it isnt. i am thinking that she is starting me at this dose to get my insulin where she wants it, and then she will possibly lower it, when it stabalizes. does anyone get puffy eyes from this stuff? or is this a side effect of low carbing (like in the early weeks, during body adjustment?)

kara,
the only advice i would give on your relationship, is... your partner needs to understand your biological clock. when you have PCOS, you cant wait forever, because sometimes it takes time to get preggers. i get the feeling he may never be "ready",and then you will be the one that looses out in the end. maybe in counseling, they can explain to him, about this condition, and how you may need to start trying now, but maybe it wont happen right away, so it will give him time to adjust. some men are good partners but arent good dads. a child deserves both, so maybe counseling is a good idea to work it all out. PRAY about this, you will get answers and support.

good luck!!
paige17257
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 14:38
Registered Member

BF:

Paige,
Are you on Glucophage xr???? There is a difference in meds. I do not have puffy eyes so it's hard to answer your question as to whether or not the Lcing is causing that or the meds. Good question though, if you find out the answer let me know.
Monique