Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-14, 08:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No, no... Costello, don't let a stupid doctor make you feel like that. Just keep in mind they've got a very narrow mindset. Concentrate on how you feel and how far you've come. You've lost something like 28% of your old body weight. Woo hoo!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-14, 10:53

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
No, no... Costello, don't let a stupid doctor make you feel like that. Just keep in mind they've got a very narrow mindset. Concentrate on how you feel and how far you've come. You've lost something like 28% of your old body weight. Woo hoo!

Thanks, Nancy. At least the people here understand that that's amazing.

They took my blood pressure three times. Each time was higher than the last. The final one was like 190/98 or something. I kept saying it wasn't normally that high. It's usually in the 130/80 range. It was dealing with them that was making it go high.

This morning at home it was 121/77.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-14, 11:29
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
... They took my blood pressure three times. Each time was higher than the last. The final one was like 190/98 or something. I kept saying it wasn't normally that high. It's usually in the 130/80 range. It was dealing with them that was making it go high.

This morning at home it was 121/77.

Same here. When I go to the doctor's office or the dentist, my BP is higher than normal and if they take it again, it is usually higher still. My current doctor understands this phenomenon and said she has seen it in a number of patients. She has me do my own BP 2 times a day for a week and send the results in to her prior to my appointment. She says BP is about what it is most of the time -- not about what it is when you are sitting tall on a doctor's office table.

I love this doctor. She is 10x better than any other that I have had in the past 30 years. I would not say that she is "Pro LC" -- but she is seeing the results and likes what she is seeing. She opted to let me manage my Diabetes with diet rather than put me on meds. She seems to 'get it'. Who knows, I might turn her into a LCHF advocate yet. I just have to finish the job and maintain it.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-14, 13:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Same here. When I go to the doctor's office or the dentist, my BP is higher than normal and if they take it again, it is usually higher still. My current doctor understands this phenomenon and said she has seen it in a number of patients. She has me do my own BP 2 times a day for a week and send the results in to her prior to my appointment. She says BP is about what it is most of the time -- not about what it is when you are sitting tall on a doctor's office table.

To this doctor's credit, she did say that she didn't want to treat the high blood pressure based on one visit. She gave me a card and asked me to record my readings for a while.

Quote:
I love this doctor. She is 10x better than any other that I have had in the past 30 years. I would not say that she is "Pro LC" -- but she is seeing the results and likes what she is seeing. She opted to let me manage my Diabetes with diet rather than put me on meds. She seems to 'get it'. Who knows, I might turn her into a LCHF advocate yet. I just have to finish the job and maintain it.

Hmmm... Maybe I can win a convert if I stay with this one. There were some good things about her. No waiting before the appointment. She spent a lot of time with me, and I didn't feel rushed.

I didn't like that she really pushed the mammogram and the colonoscopy. I've never had either and never intend to. I told her that one reason I didn't like the mammogram is that I believe it catches cancers that might go away on their own. She said that cancer never goes away on its own. That made me not trust her. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3320224/

Then she said there was a kind of breast cancer you would never be able to feel in a breast exam. Ductal?

She just pushed the mammography thing too much for my taste.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-14, 13:23
Say NO to Diabetes!

They all seem to have the same playbook as far as preventative healthcare is concerned. I wouldn't fault her for that. I've had a colonoscopy recommended (but not pushed) since the day I turned 50. I will probably have it done eventually -- but I didn't want it done while I was a 400 pounder. I can't 'observe' it myself (obviously), but I would not be surprised if this WOE turns out to be great for colon health. It just might turn out that I was smart to wait.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-14, 14:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A good overview and short 'how to' covering ketogenic diet composition on this LC tour: http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...jUpuwO7TLslIGpJ Dr. Noakes talk also good.

Maybe I haven't hit the right video, but so far I haven't learned anything new here. I'd like to hear about how long it will take to adjust to running while in ketosis. Maybe I'll adjust more easily, because I've been there before?

I'd also like to know what to do about insomnia while in heavy ketosis, but that's another issue.

ETA: Never mind. Now he's getting into it.

Last edited by costello22 : Thu, Oct-30-14 at 15:02.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-14, 11:32

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
I didn't like that she really pushed the mammogram and the colonoscopy. I've never had either and never intend to. I told her that one reason I didn't like the mammogram is that I believe it catches cancers that might go away on their own. She said that cancer never goes away on its own. That made me not trust her. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3320224/

Then she said there was a kind of breast cancer you would never be able to feel in a breast exam. Ductal?

She just pushed the mammography thing too much for my taste.

I know this is off topic from walking-v-running, but it's so important I'm jumping in anyway. I've had decades of mammograms because I thought I felt a lump when I was 34. Turned out to be fibrocystic breasts but they convinced me I needed yearly follow-ups to see if anything changed. A few years ago they stopped referring to fibrocystic breasts and started saying I had calcium deposits. Honestly, I don't know if that is the same thing or not. But this year I've finally decided NO MORE MAMMOGRAMS. I've heard enough to convince me that they can do more harm than good:

(A) Radiation causes cancer - duh! Each time you get a mammogram you increase your chance of getting cancer by 2%.
(B) Squashing a breast, that does indeed have cancerous cells, in a vice will spread the cancer!
(C) Mammograms do not detect cancer until a lump has formed, whereas thermography detects whether extra blood is being fed to a particular part of the breast, and that would indicate the presence of cancerous cells at the earliest stage because they need extra blood to grow and form into a lump.

I do believe in preventative care but in my case, an ultrasound exam is probably more helpful, as I do already have something in my breast that needs watching for changes - without being flattened in a vice. But I dread the back and forth of convincing insurance to pay for it.

I've had a couple of colonoscopies. They are a breeze compared to mammograms. The worst part is the night before when you have to empty your colon with a diarrhea-inducing drink. The drink tastes fine, but the constant running to the bathroom is a drag. Next day they put you out for the procedure, you don't feel a thing, and wake up in a recovery room. The whole thing doesn't take long and you can go home right away if you are not woozy, especially if you have someone to pick you up.

Last edited by Whofan : Fri, Oct-31-14 at 18:44.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-14, 13:00

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I've always been faithful to the "game plan" of preventive medicine: annual mammograms, colonoscopies (three since I was about 50), pelvics and Pap smears. Now...I'm done. Last time I had a "routine" Pap test, they found something "suspicious" which led to diagnostic surgery, which led to nothing. I think the doc had a boat payment to make. And even if that's not the case, docs these days will always, it seems, opt for the expensive investigation just to cover their a$$es. And who can blame them?

Now Medicare notifies me when I can get these tests "free." All you taxpayers can thank me for saving the government some money. More money than it should be, thanks to the soaring costs of medical care in the good ol' USA. End of rant.

Oh, I have to disagree on the comparative discomfort of a mam and a colonoscopy. That cleansing procedure is icky, and I'm not happy undergoing sedation, even if it's just the twilight kind. (You're unconscious, but not paralyzed.)

I believe sugar starvation stands in the way of cancer formation and growth. However, I'm amazed that cancer in its endless variety is still such a mystery. In the past month, I've seen cancer afflict three people I know, all of them young and two of them quickly dead. Somehow healthy habits are not always the answer. But avoiding unhealthy habits seems like the right thing to do.

As for the tests? Meh. I'm taking my chances without them.

Oh, and Costello, you're clearly taking charge of you. Don't let some doc who makes diagnoses by statistics and populations contradict your experience or make you doubt yourself.

Last edited by bkloots : Fri, Oct-31-14 at 13:09.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-14, 17:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Oh, and Costello, you're clearly taking charge of you. Don't let some doc who makes diagnoses by statistics and populations contradict your experience or make you doubt yourself.

Thanks, Barbara.

Just thinking about that doctor some more. She asked me if I kept a food diary. I said that I do sometimes. She said that would make me more accountable.

I don't know. That just rubbed me the wrong way. I've lost an amazing amount of weight (she pointed out that I was still obese), and she's telling me what I need to do to be accountable?

I wonder if she just has a script for various situations. Fat person gets the "eat less, move more, be accountable" talk. The "be accountable" part is tacked on, because most people who follow the "eat less, move more" part of the lecture don't lose any weight. Normally you give the "eat less, move more" part at the first appointment. Then at the second appointment you give the "be accountable" part of the lecture, so you can imply they're not, and they can hang their head and look sheepish and confess to eating mindless - or even while they're asleep.

To me, when you have a new patient in front of you who's lost a lot of weight, you should say, "Holy cow! How did you do that?" Then shut your mouth and listen. Because I'm willing to bet she doesn't have a lot of patients losing weight successfully.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-14, 16:14

BF:

Quote:
To me, when you have a new patient in front of you who's lost a lot of weight, you should say, "Holy cow! How did you do that?" Then shut your mouth and listen.
I absolutely agree! I've been dreaming about my next dental appt. when the hygienist will say: "My goodness, you have been a very conscientious flosser, haven't you! I can tell!"

I was hoping to show an impressive weight loss by my next doctor appt. later this month, but I don't think it's going to happen in spite of my best efforts. I will have a moderate weight loss--which is still better than the 2-3 lbs. I might have piled on since April had I not recovered my LC self.

To you, I say, "Holy cow! You are doing GREAT!!"
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 12:34
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Ok, so I just started walking. I decided to walk instead of jog because at my weight I could foresee injury if I jog.

I started walking a mile a day 3-4 times a week 2 weeks ago. So basically I'm just a beginner. My walking path has a good amount of uphill to it. It takes me about 20 minutes to walk the mile.

My shins usually start to stiffen and burn at the 1/2 mile point. I figure that's probably normal and will pass once my body gets used to moving that much without rest in between.

I plan to add some exercises to my routine once I get used to walking (meaning no pain while walking).

Does anybody have advise or tips?
  #27   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 13:13

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOL
... plan to add some exercises to my routine once I get used to walking (meaning no pain while walking).

Does anybody have advise or tips?

walking IS exercise. My advice is to keep walking. if you want to affect your weight tho, start LCarbing. In my opinion doing both is beneficial for a broken metabolism.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 14:59
Say NO to Diabetes!

I started walking at 375 pounds. I had back issues, diabetic nerve pain in my feet, and I was certainly out of shape. The diet resulted in weight loss. The walking rejuvenated me. I could only do a 1/2 mile to start. I walked 3 or 4 times a week. My back pain actually got worse before it got better. The walking was limbering things up and my sciatic nerve would get pinched. I'd end the walk when my leg got numb.

Within a few weeks it started getting better. I could walk farther. I could walk faster. I could walk more days per week. Within a few months I could walk 3 miles easily and with less pain. I've been walking regularly ever since. It took several months for my back issues to clear up completely, but eventually that sciatic nerve pain was a thing of the past. Walking is good stuff.

I use a phone app to track my walking start and stop time. With the GPS it gives me my average speed, too. But I don't always have my phone on me and I wanted my step count each day. I bought a Garmin Vivofit for that. I never take it off. It also has a cool feature to track your sleep movement. Anyway - I try to get 10,000 steps in each day and I try to get a walk or two in daily. My TV time suffers - but I sure don't. I love my walks.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 16:41

BF:

SKOL, just keep walking. You'll notice improvements in your speed and distance as you put in the time.
Quote:
I decided to walk instead of jog because at my weight I could foresee injury if I jog.
Good thought. I think jogging is unnecessary pounding. As your fitness improves, bump up your walking speed to just past "comfortable" but not into heavy breathing. I like to walk with a beat in my ears--fitness music re-recorded from my favorites. You haven't lived until you've heard "Clair de Lune" played at speed.

Best wishes.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 03:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

SKol, agree with the others, just keep walking. Outside. Appreciate the nature around you, relieves stress. Get the morning sun in your eyes if possible...it's suppose to help re-set circadian rythms for better sleep.
Another idea to add to Barbara's to make the time walking useful, is listen to Health and Nutrition podcasts. Here's a list, Ask the LC experts archives is good because each show was on a basic topic. Current show episode's are interviewing Gary Taubes about his new book.Livin La Vida is the mother of all podcasts. Has over 1200 shows to choose from. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...89&page=1&pp=15