Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-14, 06:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I thought it was particle size, not particle number that mattered. If the number is high but the particle size is big and fluffy, that is a good thing. But if the particles are small and dense, they are the ones that cause the plaque build up which leads to heart disease. The was pointed out in the Cereal Killers Movie. Dolan's doctors were concerned about his rise in cholesterol until the found that he had no small LDL particles and no inflammation in his body.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-14, 10:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrsy
I thought it was particle size, not particle number that mattered. If the number is high but the particle size is big and fluffy, that is a good thing. But if the particles are small and dense, they are the ones that cause the plaque build up which leads to heart disease. The was pointed out in the Cereal Killers Movie. Dolan's doctors were concerned about his rise in cholesterol until the found that he had no small LDL particles and no inflammation in his body.

That is my understanding as well.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-14, 10:54

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
That is my understanding as well.

Dr Dayspring is one of the leading lipids doctors and he feels that particle count matters even if LDL is light and fluffy. He talked about this in an interview with Jimmy Moore on Ask the Low Carb experts in the past year or two.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-14, 13:08

Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...021915006002590

I like the particle size concept myself. But I believe I heard Peter Atilla also say the particle number is the main problem.

This analysis of MESA data includes some statistical jargon which I don't understand, but their conclusion is that the small particle data somehow hides the relevance of large particle effects, and that they are both important.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-14, 17:17

Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

You should watch this. For me, it is much more important to keep sugars out of my diet, all sugars-carbs. I am betting on a very low, ketonic way of eating making me much more healthy than I was....

This is Dr. Peter Attia explaining this in human terms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAWdHYSrh7M
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-14, 18:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

27:40 in the Peter Attia talk (graph titled "The greater the metabolic derangement, the greater the discordance between LDL-C and LDL-P") goes well with the assertion around the 56 minute mark I think it was, in the Cholesterol Conundrum video that particle count and triglycerides associate with heart disease much more strongly when insulin is high than when insulin is low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuj6nxCDBZ0

There's four slides here breaking down some of the findings from the Quebec Cardiovascular Study that both these presenters used in their videos;

http://www.lipidsonline.org/slides/...lar+study&dpg=3
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 04:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
particle count and triglycerides associate with heart disease much more strongly when insulin is high than when insulin is low.

Reminds me of all those studies showing a detrimental effect from saturated fat... which was somewhat true when carbs are high, but not when carbs are low.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 07:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I wouldn't call the Perfect Health Diet VLC or LC, since it is 3/4 vegetables by weight, or 600 calories (150 g carbs)/day, which would be "moderate" level carbs compared to the SAD.

These moderate (or higher) levels of carbs may be what is pushing up insulin levels and causing reductions in thyroid levels. My insulin levels went down and my thyroid levels went up into the normal ranges when I went truly VLC/VHF (<10%carbs, >65%fat).

The people I alluded to were refugees from a LC/VLC WOE. It was switching to the PHD that improved their health.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 07:47

Am I detecting a trend here? Seems like everything gets worse when insulin is high.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 08:19

Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Am I detecting a trend here? Seems like everything gets worse when insulin is high.

Right now, it seems research is headed this way, but who knows? Anyway, Petter Attia thinks intake of sucrose and fructose causes inflammation-insulin caused? Maybe..... But it seems no particles, fluffy or not, stick if there is not inflammation in the vessels.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 08:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
Right now, it seems research is headed this way, but who knows? Anyway, Petter Attia thinks intake of sucrose and fructose causes inflammation-insulin caused? Maybe..... But it seems no particles, fluffy or not, stick if there is not inflammation in the vessels.

Right. And what causes that inflammation? Is it insulin? Is it cortisol? Is it something else entirely?
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 08:50
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

ApoB/apoA1 ratio is a better predictor than either alone yet Dr. Dayspring doesn't seem to address it. The best way to increase Apo A1 is to eat fat. Chylomicrons contain apo A1 and are actually better than HDL at reverse cholesterol transport.

Quote:
This study indicates that chylomicrons in PP plasma are the most potent ultimate acceptors of cholesterol released from cell membranes and that a low HDL level is not a factor that limits the ability of PP plasma to promote cholesterol efflux from cell membranes. Our data obtained from an in-vitro system suggest that PP chylomicrons may play a major role in promoting reverse cholesterol transport in vivo, since the transfer of cholesterol from cell membranes to chylomicrons will lead to the rapid removal of this cholesterol by the liver. HDL in vivo may promote reverse cholesterol transport by enhancing the rapid removal of chylomicrons from the circulation, since the rate of clearance of chylomicrons is positively correlated with the HDL level in plasma.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9714128

Quote:
We examined whether postprandial (PP) chylomicrons (CMs) can serve as vehicles for transporting cholesterol from endogenous cholesterol-rich lipoprotein (LDL+HDL) fractions and cell membranes to the liver via lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase (LCAT) and cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP) activities. During incubation of fresh fasting and PP plasma containing [(3)H]cholesteryl ester (CE)-labeled LDL+HDL, both CMs and VLDL served as acceptors of [(3)H]CE or cholesterol from LDL+HDL. The presence of CMs in PP plasma suppressed the ability of VLDL to accept [(3)H]CE from LDL+HDL. In reconstituted plasma containing an equivalent amount of triglycerides from isolated VLDL or CMs, a CM particle was about 40 times more potent than a VLDL particle in accepting [(3)H]CE or cholesterol from LDL+HDLs. When incubated with red blood cells (RBCs) as a source for cell membrane cholesterol, the cholesterol content of CMs, VLDL, LDL, and HDL in PP plasma increased by 485%, 74%, 13%, and 30%, respectively, via LCAT and CETP activities. The presence of CMs in plasma suppressed the ability of endogenous lipoproteins to accept cholesterol from RBCs. Our data suggest that PP CMs may play an important role in promoting reverse cholesterol transport in vivo by serving as the preferred ultimate vehicle for transporting cholesterol released from cell membranes to the liver via LCAT and CETP.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15102891

Last edited by RawNut : Wed, Jul-09-14 at 09:09.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 11:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
ApoB/apoA1 ratio is a better predictor than either alone yet Dr. Dayspring doesn't seem to address it.

How well-established is this? Has the research been applied to different study groups, in different countries, during different time periods, for different genders, over different age ranges, for those with heart disease and those without, controlling for the "healthy subject" effect, etc.?
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 18:23
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
The non-fasting ApoB/ApoA-I ratio was superior to any of the other non-fasting cholesterol ratios for estimation of the risk of acute myocardial infarction in all ethnic groups, in both sexes, and at all ages. ApoB and ApoA-I should be introduced worldwide into clinical practice for the assessment of the risk of vascular disease.

http://www.r3i.org/pg/1/LS_21.asp
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-14, 06:52

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Let’s get rid of the nonsense seen all over the internet that atherosclerosis is an inflammatory disease, not a cholesterol disease. That is baloney with the reality being it is both. Once cannot have atherosclerosis without sterols, predominantly cholesterol being in the artery wall: No cholesterol in arteries – no atherosclerosis

Sorry, no. That's a popular logical fallacy. Found at the scene, therefore guilty. Also, haven't found anything else, don't understand what else we found, can't fix most of it, therefore the thing we found, the thing we understand, the thing we can shoot, must be guilty. It's an even worse fallacy when we think we found something, when in fact we found something else: Cholesterol vs lipoprotein, see bold quote above. The topic of particle size applies to lipoprotein particle size, not cholesterol particle size. Cholesterol is cholesterol is cholesterol. The same cholesterol found in atherosclerotic plaques is also found in bile and a bunch of other essential stuff. It's cholesterol. There's only one kind. There's only one size. A genuine cholesterol expert would know that.

Look at the description of cholesterol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesterol
Quote:
Cholesterol, from the Ancient Greek chole- (bile) and stereos (solid) followed by the chemical suffix -ol for an alcohol, is a hydrocarbon organic molecule. It is a sterol (or modified steroid),[3] a lipid molecule and is biosynthesized by all animal cells because it is an essential structural component of animal cell membranes that is required to maintain both membrane structural integrity and fluidity.

Now compare that to the description of lipoprotein: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoprotein
Quote:
A lipoprotein is a biochemical assembly that contains both proteins and lipids, bound to the proteins, which allow fats to move through the water inside and outside cells. The proteins serve to emulsify the lipid molecules. Many enzymes, transporters, structural proteins, antigens, adhesins, and toxins are lipoproteins. Examples include the plasma lipoprotein particles classified under high-density (HDL) and low-density (LDL) lipoproteins, which enable fats to be carried in the blood stream, the transmembrane proteins of the mitochondrion and the chloroplast, and bacterial lipoproteins.