Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 10:12

Plan: low carb/low sugar
Stats: 142/139/140 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Pre Diabetes, Low Carb, BS rises before meals

Hello,
My hubby is 70 and has pre diabetes and keeps his blood sugar after meals under control by eating low carb. His fasting blood sugar has been stubborn (usually around 110), even though he exercises just before bedtime. However, the part neither of us understand is that his blood sugar before a meal will sometimes be higher than after a meal. None of his readings is horrible. Everything is staying under the 140 number, thanks to his diligence in eating low carb. I would appreciate your input in understanding what his body is doing. (Also he had a knee replacement in November 2013. He has recovered well, works as a logger, and the inflammation from the new joint has just about gone away.) He takes no medicines.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 10:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

The fasting blood sugar is an indicator of what is happening while he is sleeping. Many people who have diabetes (there is no such thing as pre-diabetes docs use that word thinking it will get people to work harder at losing weight), find that even though they eat low carb and their numbers are good throughout the day have higher morning numbers. I do. It's called the dawn effect and I'm not positive why it happens except that it could be a result of the liver giving too much glucose to cover a relative low that happens during the night.

A persons liver will "dump" glucose every 5 hours they go without eating.

An important number that indicates how well the diabetes is going is the HbA1c. The ADA wants it under 7 and the good number is around 5.

The liver dump can explain a higher blood sugar number before meal too if it's been 5 hours or if he's reactive hypoglycemic (if he gets a low blood sugar level and dumps too much glucose).

I'm sure many more people will pop in to tell you more.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 10:44

BF:
Progress:

Oh, thank you, LorelaiS. His HbA1c is 6. So would giving him a low carb snack every three hours or so help keep the liver from "dumping" glucose? His weight is fine (6 feet tall, 175 lbs.) and he has an active lifestyle.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 13:14

BF:

What are his readings before meals and approximately 2 hours after? If he doesn't get true lows there's no reason to do the snack thing. I would make sure that there is enough fat in the diet. That's the food that gives us the real staying power.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 16:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

70, with a new knee, and still a logger! I'd say he is fit and has an active lifestyle! Amazing.
What Lorelai said about dawn phenomenon. Also have read blood sugar levels rise somewhat over 60, though don't have any numbers to indicate what is still normal. Maybe you can find more info on a website many here use, BloodSugar 101. http://www.bloodsugar101.com
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 17:34

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbfarmer
Hello,
However, the part neither of us understand is that his blood sugar before a meal will sometimes be higher than after a meal.

I'm glad you asked this. It happens to me, too, and I've wondered about it. Checking at random times I've noticed that my BG will be OK - but certainly not too low - about 3 or 4 hours after a meal, but an hour later will have gone up.

It doesn't always happen, but I've not been able to notice a pattern with foods eaten.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 22:17

BF:
Progress:

Thank you all. What a caring community!
Hubby's readings after a meal (one or two hours or thereabouts) are usually 115. Sometimes 105. Before a meal sometimes 120 or 125. It varies. But rarely below 100. He hit 95 the other day after logging all afternoon when he measured pre-dinner. Exercise is a good helper for him to bring down blood glucose readings.
Thank you for the links; I will explore.
I did check his glucose meter and his 30 day average is 113.
Again, thank you for the help. It's great to find you all!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 09:25

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Generally a non-diabetic with non-impaired glucose metabolism will have FastingBloodGlucose in the lower 80s, and an A1C below 5. Diabetes is often diagnosed if FBGs are over 125 and/or A1Cs are over 6.5.

The territory in between has gone by a variety of names, borderline diabetic, pre-diabetes, impaired glucose metabolism etc. If BGs are generally under 140 with control of diet alone many of us would say that is sufficient. I recommend Jenny's Blood Sugars 101, both the blog and the book.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-14, 09:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

You might look into using glucomannan pudding for helping hubby's BG. Google that term for more info. Be sure not to give him glucomannan as a pill because it can swell up and choke him.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-14, 11:06

BF:
Progress:

Thanks again, team! I appreciate you.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-14, 04:44

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Lots of good information coming your way. I have managed to keep my A1C in the 5's. Blood sugars around 110 now for me most often. For a diabetic this is pretty good. I am on no medicines at all too.

I did have bariatric surgery last November 2014. This has helped me drop 80 pounds in the past 5 months as well as bring diabetes and blood pressure under control without medicines.

I am somewhat surprised that your hubby has diabetes. There must be a reason he developed diabetes, perhaps too many sodas, lots of sugar in the past or whatever. In any event, he has it under control.

If he took a med such as Metformin ER he might knock it down a bit more given his great discipline with low carbing as well as the fact that he is plenty active at the age of 70! Wow.

Best wishes,

Ralph
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-14, 06:22

BF:

Dancinbr. Don't get into the incorrect mindset that diabetes is all the fault of the patient. The SAD doesn't help the situation but there is a genetic component. Some people can eat lousy their whole lives and never get it. There are many causes of diabetes.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-14, 08:21

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorelaiS
Some people can eat lousy their whole lives and never get it. There are many causes of diabetes.

Anecdotal evidence here - a couple friends are both morbidly obese, eat horribly, yet neither have diabetes. And Tom Hanks, by no means overweight, has T2 diabetes.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-14, 09:17

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

More anecdotal info: my former next door neighbor was type 2 and skinny as a rail - except her abdomen where she typically shot her insulin.

It makes sense to me that diabetes and overweight come from the same root - an inability to easily process carbs - but overweight is not the cause of diabetes.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 06:04

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorelaiS
Dancinbr. Don't get into the incorrect mindset that diabetes is all the fault of the patient. The SAD doesn't help the situation but there is a genetic component. Some people can eat lousy their whole lives and never get it. There are many causes of diabetes.

Of course, I understand and you are right.

For some it is simply an unfortunate situation due to genetics.

However, today more and more diabetics are simply happening as a result of all the fast foods, etc., etc., that this world is bombarded with to an excessive amount.