Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-14, 19:35

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 172/161/135 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 30%

And now a technical or practical question for posting. Since my first post was in the "Introduce Yourself" section, how can I continue posting in a more appropriate section? I'm still trying to navigate this site and am getting lost. Or, should I create a new post in one of the sections that I would fit into now instead of continuing in the "Intro..." section?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-14, 03:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I start from (and return to) this Index page, where you see new activity: http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php?

Easy to see the main sub-forum headings there. You could start new posts where appropriate. If it is specifically Bernstein diet related, or your BG readings, the Diabetes forum under Health. How to LC in general can end up under Newbie Questions, Atkins, or General LC. Then there is the Tips and Stalls advice I linked. Definitely not perfect, but this forum welcomes all versions of LC, it is not just for one diet. Look around all of them and maybe read back through a page of posts in forums of interest. Great information buried in all those sub-forums. If searching for a topic, use Advanced Search..regular box is useless.
And the Recipes are all indexed, find one in the sticky at top, and it is linked to the post. That is organized well!
And in your account settings, be sure you get daily alerts to any posts in any thread. If you subscribe to a thread like the one on dairy, there can be weeks without activity, then an update, so you don't lose track if interested in various forums.

Glad you are working with PT. We think we are doing something healthy for ourselves, elliptical for you, yoga for me, when we are just aggravating the situation.

Long answer to where you get calcium without dairy:
http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

My suggestion for dairy follows any Paleo elimination diet...remove all dairy entirely one month and then challenge it back very carefully. Whole30 linked above, or Chris Kresser's Your Personal Paleo Code, etc have the details how to do it correctly.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Mar-18-14 at 03:41.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-14, 11:59

BF:

Thanks for your advice, Jey. I do need some time to wander around this site. There are so many places!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-14, 08:23

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoPaws
Thanks to all of you for your replies! I went back to my Diabetes Solution and found that he says plain full-fat yogurt is ok and he gave an example of an 8 ounce container of Erivan (never heard of this) containing 11 grams of carbs (p. 155). I think my own blood sugar reaction to the artificially sweetened yogurt I've been eating for breakfast is the problem. Even though it has just 8 g. carb, it's been spiking my blood sugar up about 30 points. So, could it be the dairy as some of you say? I don't know but I stopped eating it this week.

I wish I could even find full-fat yogurt. Gave up looking, they all seem so proud to be "fat free!" Bah.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-14, 09:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I saw a video on the ketogenic diet for epilepsy yesterday. It showed a stay at home Dad making "yogurt" for his kid--heavy cream whipped until thick but still a little wet, and then blended with a bit of sour cream for a yogurt-like tang.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-14, 10:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ha KDH, know you not fond of Trader Joe's , but ours has a few whole milk versions. Not many to be sure. And like Teaser's idea, Dr. Eenfeldt adds heavy cream to his http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-breakfast-in-the-summer Which is yummy, the cream sweetens a lot right there.

And speaking of Low Fat..Horrors! Yesterday Target had Reduced Fat KerryGold Butter! What is the world coming too?!? They were sold out of regular ($2.59 best price in the area) but had stacks of Reduced Fat Butter.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-14, 10:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

Ew. Reduced fat butter, it shouldn't be allowed to be called butter anymore.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-14, 11:23

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Ha KDH, know you not fond of Trader Joe's , but ours has a few whole milk versions. Not many to be sure. And like Teaser's idea, Dr. Eenfeldt adds heavy cream to his http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-breakfast-in-the-summer Which is yummy, the cream sweetens a lot right there.

And speaking of Low Fat..Horrors! Yesterday Target had Reduced Fat KerryGold Butter! What is the world coming too?!? They were sold out of regular ($2.59 best price in the area) but had stacks of Reduced Fat Butter.

I keep meaning to check at Central Market and forget. Or a quick scan shows so many "low-fat" and "fat free" labels that I write the section off altogether.

Low fat KERRYGOLD!? Blasphemers.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-14, 05:29

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

"My doctor (who is new to us in the past year) referred me to a RD last month and she gave me handouts from the ADA - 45 gr. carbs per meal. I told her I've been doing low-carb but she said that was not healthy. Well, I did follow a meal suggestion three times and recorded blood sugar over 200 each time, so I'm taking these results to her this week. Not sure if I'm going to smack her or not but there's no way I'm going back to her."
Same experience. I do try to get some carbs through beans and lentils, my BG reacts very well to those, but if I eat the carbs the dieticians recommend I will be on insulin. They don't care, I do. You'll have to learn who you can fully share with, especially if you risk losing clearances of any kind.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-14, 07:10

BF:

Exactly, Mama Sebo. One of the handouts she gave me was from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics which also suggest "3 to 5 servings of carbohydrate foods at each meal and 1 or 2 carbohydrate servings for each snack..." That can be 45 or more gr. carbs at a meal. As a diabetic, that's suicide in my opinion.

All vegetables have carbs: bell peppers, cucumbers, mushrooms, zucchini squash - and I eat these. I will also eat some lentils and beans (a spoonful, for example) with other food.

The RD implied my way wasn't healthy. I have my notes to show her but I'm nervous to face her in person because I don't trust myself to be calm and collected. My meters don't lie (I'm using two as I'm using one strips for one that's not covered by our insurance anymore.) and as I'd told her when I first saw here, "The bottom line is what my blood sugar is."
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-14, 07:10

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
I wish I could even find full-fat yogurt. Gave up looking, they all seem so proud to be "fat free!" Bah.

It might be worth looking on your country's Fage website to see if they list a stockist near you or a chain of stores that carry it so you can ask your closest one to get it in.
http://usa.fage.eu/storelocator
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-14, 08:21

Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoPaws
One of the handouts she gave me was from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics which also suggest "3 to 5 servings of carbohydrate foods at each meal and 1 or 2 carbohydrate servings for each snack..." That can be 45 or more gr. carbs at a meal. As a diabetic, that's suicide in my opinion.

Or worse than suicide. If it were a clean, quick death I wouldn't mind so much - it's the real possibility of dying by inches and ending up without limbs that really bothers me.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-14, 08:44

BF:

Good morning, Bonnie. Yes! And I know from personal experience because my type 2 mom died after having a leg amputated at the knee because of gangrene from an untreated foot wound that never healed. She ignored the discolored foot and had such neuropathy that she hadn't felt the pain. She was 72. It was a heart attack that ultimately killed her, however. In those days, there were no meters, only urine test strips, but she didn't eat correctly. Well, this was in 1982 and the only thing doctors probably told their patients was not to eat cake or cookies. And today we have the Internet. For me it's been my saving grace!