Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
A'72 Lifer Hard Core
Yeeeehaaaa I did it -- I've Lost 120 lbs in 35 weeks for a total of 135 lbs!
Just Jo
Posted by Just Jo
Posted Mon, Mar-10-14
Female 5'4"
Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%
Smile Yeeeehaaaa I did it -- I've Lost 120 lbs in 35 weeks for a total of 135 lbs!

Updates are below:

10 March 2014:
This morning's weigh in was a blessing. I made my personal goal weight of 130 lbs. Now the hard scary part begins -- maintaining it! But I have a plan:

I will increase the carbs by no more than 5 grams daily for 2 weeks. Carefully monitor the results then add another 5 grams daily until I hit my “sweet spot” (aka CCL). Like I said this is the scariest part of this entire WOE.

In the past, I'd lose the weight and say YEAH now I can go back to eating like "normal carb-eating" people -- stupid stupid. Okay I figured out I CAN'T.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update: Actually I started at this at the end of May 2013. I weighed 265 lbs and once again I played that yo yo game, eat clean 4-5 days and reward myself with crap for a job well done and lost 15 lbs btwn end May 2013 and 5 July 2013.

By 5 July I had had enough of the yo-yoing and being morbidly obese and I finally had a heart to heart with myself about being huge as a house. For some reason, "it" clicked. So from end of May 2013 to today (May 24) I have lost a total of 142 pounds . I would like to get down to 120 -- but I am not going to complain about weighing 123 lbs.

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!

23 August 2015 Update:

I lost a total of 151 lbs by 16 November 2014 and weighed 114 lbs. Maintained that loss until I fractured my tibia 4 April 2015. I was wheel chair bound from 4 April until 6 July 2015 and gained 4 lbs! My orthopedic surgeon was thrilled. He said most people that are sedentary for that long usually gain 20-30 lbs since patients tend to eat more than usual! Of course I was thrilled too after he told me that! Because I stayed OP 100% everyday doing the little bit of exercising he allowed me to do!

I have lost 1 of those 4 pesky pounds! So I am down to 117 lbs. I'm not worried overmuch about it! My size one pants still fit the same as do my s/m shirts! So it doesn't really bother me one iota!

Tomorrow (24 August 2015) will be my 18 month anniversary of being in maintenance! To say I am proud of myself is an understatement! I have NEVER done maintenance before! SO I wasted almost 35 years of my life playing that yo-yo off again on again, rinse repeat recycle diet game with myself!

NEVER again! I am emotional drained! I don't think I have another fight in me to battle “Fat Jo” the self-destructive carb-addicted selfish Fat bitch who destroys my good mental/emotional/physical health, self-love and self-esteem. I know I don't have the emotional fortitude to do so. It is so much easier to stay in maintenance!

I am not by any means saying maintenance is easy, losing weight is hard work, staying in maintenance is also hard work...I just have to choose which HARD work I am willing to invest in and it sure isn't going to be the hard work of losing weight again!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

10 March 2016 Update: Two Years of Maintenance Done ~ Starting Year 3!

Wow today is officially my 2nd Anniversary in Maintenance! On this date 2 years ago, I made my goal weight of 130 lbs; as of today, I weigh 116 lbs.

I fluctuate anywhere around 115-117 lbs on any given day. But it is what it is and I ain’t complaining! Sure beats weighing 265 lbs or more any day, huh?

Nothing much has changed in my incredible LC WOL. I’m still IFing everyday and doing ultra-low carbs (no more than 5-6 a day). I eat very simply and eat only "real foods". I feel that the food I eat is simply to nourish my body, that being said, that doesn't mean I don't totally enjoy what I eat but here's one of my favorite quotes that explains it better than I can:

Quote:
A Buddhist “Before Eating” prayer that includes these words:

"By seeing this food as medicine, I will consume it without attachment or hatred, not to increase my arrogance, strength or good looks, but solely to sustain my life."

Posted by Jean (cotonpal) in thud123’s Journal on 9 Jan 2016
That's pretty much how I feel about the foods I eat.

I’m still exercising every day. And I haven’t changed ANY of the routines that I established when I re-started my life and soul changing journey on 5 July 2013 ~ my Independence Day from “Fat Jo” and all those horribly addictive, insidiously toxic, poisonous killer carb-age foods.

These three parts on "Maintenance" from the Diet Revolution 1972 edition have completed changed my life and my way of thinking about being in maintenance:

Dr. Atkins on "MAINTENANCE ~ Staying at Your Best"
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 261
Quote:
THE MAIN CHANGE THAT HAS TO BE MADE IS IN YOUR HEAD.

Success in maintaining your trim figure and your zest for living is guaranteed if you can achieve this radical change in your thinking.

If you have a chronic weight problem it is essential to totally accept, fully understand that your fat is one symptom of a lifetime disease. Your metabolizing processes are and always will be abnormal. Yes, even if you get slim and stay slim!

Many medical studies have shown that the biochemical responses of a formerly overweight person, such as the excessive insulin release when carbohydrates are eaten, are still quite different from a never-over weight person. In other words, you cannot eat what normal people eat and expect to stay thin.

So say to yourself over and over until you've got it through your rebellious head:

"My tendency to be overweight is one sign of a chronic metabolic disorder. My physiology doesn't handle certain kinds of foods as slim physiologies do. I mustn't try to compare my eating habits to those of a person who has never had a weight problem. Not now. Not ever."

"I have an illness, a lifelong illness. I can't cure it, but I can CONTROL it!"

Basic to controlling it is to understand that it is a permanent condition...about which you can do a great deal. Controlling it isn't all that difficult.
Dr. Atkins on "Amount of Carbs for Maintenance"
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 263
Quote:
The best decision is probably to stay pretty much on the very low carbohydrate diet on which you lost; only now you can feel free to deviate in small ways.
Dr. Atkins on "Maintenance"
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 286
Quote:
Q. Once I get the weight off and am a normal person again, why can't I maintain this normal weight by merely eating normally?

A. Because you only look normal; inside your body is the same metabolic abnormality that made you overweight in the first place. This, by the way, is one of the key points of the whole book.
Now I completely understand that I have a chronic carb processing metabolic disorder and the only way to manage that disorder to stay 100% OP every single day!

Here's my weight loss & maintenance record as of 5 March 2016:

Wishing everyone continued success on your LC WOE journeys to better HEALTH!

My life and soul changing journey continues to Infinity & Beyond because I am a Warrior member of TEAM 5%...

8 April 2018 Update:

Still going WARRIOR Strong on maintenance with more than 4 years under my much smaller belt. My current weight is 114 lbs. Yeah, it's not constant, it will fluctuate between 112-115 on any given day... Ain't no rhyme or reason for that except that's the way it is! Sure beats weighing pre-re-start weight!

Maintenance really hasn't been that difficult esp since I only eat OMAD and have since I re-started my journey back in 2013. Sure does take care of all my insane food related issues! It truly is a rare thing indeed if I eat more than once a day!

I truly suffer from a chronic illness called “I’m only hungry when I start putting FOOD in my mouth” syndrome!

On 10 March 2014 I said I would do this ---> "I will increase the carbs by no more than 5 grams daily for 2 weeks. Carefully monitor the results then add another 5 grams daily until I hit my “sweet spot” (aka CCL). Like I said this is the scariest part of this entire WOE."

Imma LIAR LIAR pants on fire! I never did increase my carb intake.

I still do A '72 Induction level carbs each day and that WORKS for me. I don't crave anything. The temptation to face plant into a carb-laden dish has not been on my radar in forever. I am grateful for that!

I really live by the advice Dr. A gave on pg 263; which has been quoted above about stickin' pretty close to the WOE on which I lost the original weight.

My life and soul changin' journey continues as I live the DREAM...💚

5 July 2018 Update:

Five years ago today, marks the day that changed my life forever ~ My INDEPENDENCE Day from "Fat Jo"!

I finally decided that I had had enough of “Fat Jo” and that it was time to kick her "Fat ass" to the curb for once and for all!

I was sick and tired of all the decades of destructive yo-yo dieting and I knew that I was better than that!

Eating properly was one of the things I could control WHEN and IF I decided to get my act together.

Since starting this journey 5 years ago, I've learned so much about myself and my relationship with food. I've learned to take back the POWER from foods that makes me miserably sick in mind, body and soul.

I finally had to acknowledge that I have a carb metabolic processing disorder and if I was gonna lose weight and keep it off, I had to say bye-bye to those toxic carbs forever. You know the ones...

Eating those horribly addictive, insidiously toxic, poisonous killer carb-age foods just isn't worth it. And yet I didn't want to give up those carbs for decades.

Better late than never, huh? It also explains why my weight averaged around 250-265 lbs during those decades and 293 lbs at my heaviest, right before I got divorced... [insert Heavy Sigh here!]

I've realized since I started this journey that I must remain ever vigilant about what I eat if I am to remain successful. Yes, that means weighing/measuring and monitoring every morsel I put in my mouth. No excuses ever. It's a CHOICE with every meal I eat.

Some people think it is beyond tedious to track and monitor what they eat day in and day out. That's their decision.

I, however, don't have a problem with that because that is what keeps me in the game and the best, healthiest "me" possible. Doesn't hurt either that I have OCD tendencies and that I am control freak.

Yeah, I've finally learned to control the ONE thing I have complete control over; what I EAT! It took long enough...

I just have to think about the alternative (gain all the weight back and be unhealthy) if I don't eat properly...which isn't an OPTION for me!

I refuse to REGAIN and I don't ever wanna be "Fat Jo" [the self-destructive carb-addicted selfish FAT bitch who destroys my good emotional & physical health, self-love and self-esteem] EVER again...

Yes, totally my CHOICE...

It took a lot of work and time to get where I am today. But I will continue to fight the good fight and stay WARRIOR Strong b/c I am TOTALLY worth it!

I wanna be in the best possible health (mentally and physically) as I get older...

Eating properly & exercising are non-issues! Totally 💚 love that!

10 March 2019 Update:

1826 days (= 5 years ) in Maintenance and LOVIN' every single minute of it!

Weekly wt average: 114-115 lbs

Hard to believe it's been 5 years since I made my initial goal of 130 lbs. Where has the time gone???

I'm still eating 100% OP w OMAD and exercising daily b/c it really is great for my over-all GOOD health!

Totally 💚 my WOL!

Being morbidly overweight was Hard,
Losing Weight was Hard,
Keeping the Weight OFF is Hard... naw, NOT really b/c I know what I'd lose if I regained all the weight back... that ain't gonna happen since I am 100% in control of what I PUT in my mouth...

My life and soul changin' journey continues as I live the DREAM...
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After

by Mama Sebo on Mon, Mar-10-14, 05:11

Wow! Way to go! And yes, the journey begins here!

187 comments [read all comments]

Article tools