Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 12:50

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default What does cancer eat? Sugar, mostly

Not sure that this has ever been posted here, so I'll share.
I often get confusing contradictory research. I was diagnosed last year with colon cancer, and one study suggested that a diet high in red meat might very well increase out chances of colon cancer. Then I read this...
Does any one really know what causes cancer...?

http://www.sott.net/article/273245-...or-of-pathology
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 13:36
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I suspect everything 'can' and nothing 'does.'

There is substantial evidence that ascorbic acid (vitamin C) -- by vein or liposomal form, although pills would be slightly of benefit they are barely absorbed and mostly just give one stool flush -- is extremely healthy for the innards including all the tubes of the gut. You might consider looking into liposomal C.

PJ
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 13:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sadly, the answer is no. No one “knows” for sure. Scientists who support the “Metabolic Theory of Cancer” are still a relatively few, but as she writes, a growing number. A new foundation backing the “Single Cause, Single Cure” research has more information on their website: http://www.singlecausesinglecure.org

Dr. Peter Attia just wrote a short description of the cancer metabolic process for laymen, with good references at the end: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/...ic-quirk-cancer This doctor also writes about the use of a Ketogenic Diet for Cancer: http://www.cavemandoctor.com/category/cancer/ And this is another good resource about a ketogenic diet for cancer: http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com The second edition of her book was just released earlier this week. (I have it if you want to know more, PM me) A Ketogenic Diet can be used as an adjunct to most standard treatment protocols, nor does it have to include red meat as fish and poultry are protein sources too.

I was diagnosed in 2006 and for almost four years followed the Cancer Project Diet, which is vegetarian. I gained much weight with all those grains and legumes, and only switched to low carb after reading a lot about the sugar/insulin/obesity/cancer connections. If you read the scary reports about red meat, you will find many of them included processed meats. There are also some indications that cooking at high heat (grilling to charred) can be harmful, so I now eat red meat but little processed and cook by gentler heat. My personal perspective is that I believe low carb is protective against a recurrence, and my oncologist supports my primal way of eating. Jody, I hope you are doing well, and all best wishes,
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 14:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I strongly believe that a high sugar diet causes and proliferates cancer growth! I've read a fair bit and it does seem that there is a huge correlation of sugar in our diets and cancer rates. There is definitely something more to it! I actually question the cancer research organisations who make so much money, its hard to know what they'd do if a cure was ever found??? My mother, who died from bowel cancer ten years ago, made me promise not to give them a penny!!!!

Jo xxx
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 16:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sugar is finally being properly linked to cancer. Most cancers feed off sugar (glucose) and are unable to metabolize ketones. Ready the singlecause site. I think they've got the right approach.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 16:29

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I too have read that cancer loves sugar, and had hoped that low carb eating could help protect me from getting cancer, but apparently cancer cells can find other ways to survive. I still think this is a healthy way to eat, and may protect against some cancers, but it's not a sure thing.

Quote:
Cancer cells need food to survive and grow. They're very good at getting it, too, even when nutrients are scarce. Many scientists have tried killing cancer cells by taking away their favorite food, a sugar called glucose. Unfortunately, this treatment approach not only fails to work, it backfires -- glucose-starved tumors actually get more aggressive. In a study published January 31 in the journal Cell, researchers discovered that a protein called PKCζ is responsible for this paradox. The research suggests that glucose depletion therapies might work against tumors as long as the cancer cells are producing PKCζ.

According to this study, when PKCζ is missing from cancer cells, tumors are able to use alternative nutrients. What's more, the lower the PKCζ levels, the more aggressive the tumor.

Link to full article
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 16:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

There's considerable research supporting the metabolic hypothesis, (that sugar feeds many cancers) going all the way back to the Warburg hypothesis in 1924.

And this is an excellent article: Cancer, not as hard as we think which brings up the work of Stanislaw Tanchou from 1843, who connected cancer with grains.

High blood sugar, in other words.

Quote:
I'm going to start with a bold claim: cancer has the same cause, and should be treated with the same measures, as obesity. I didn't say breast cancer, or skin cancer. Different cancers have different properties that make it useful to study them separately, but all cancers have certain important things in common that make it possible to study cancer as a whole.

I've gotten so cynical about these rotating cast of villains who blame fat and meat instead of wheat and sugar that I don't care about the new villain, "processed" meats.

Because you know what 99.9% of the population eat them with? Sandwich bread and a soda.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 17:45
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

FatFreeMe, So sorry to hear that. I hope you find answers to your questions and beat this thing. Do you know if you are actually in ketosis? In the pilot study done by Dr. Feinman, cancer growth was halted or even began to shrink in those with the highest ketone and lowest insulin levels compared to their baseline. Some low carbers are finding that they have to restrict protein as well as carbs in order to achieve ketosis.

I just happened to read a post today by a woman who developed colon cancer after 10 years of McDougalling. She seems to be a little bitter about how animal protein is fingered by vegans as the cause of cancer.

With all the resistant starch and fiber feeding her colon butyrate, I'm sure she thinks she's on the best diet to combat it. But what happens in between meals? Without elevated free fatty acids and ketones to induce physiologic insulin resistance, those cells will be taking up glucose.

I think she'd be better off on a ketogenic diet as well. Restrict carbs, moderate protein and force those cells to either use fat and ketones continually or commit apoptosis.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 18:12

BF:

FatFreeMe, let me second the recommendation for Liposomal C, it has lots of healing properties. Low carbing has a lot of science behind its anti-cancer properties, too. My best to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
I just happened to read a post today by a woman who developed colon cancer after 10 years of McDougalling. She seems to be a little bitter about how animal protein is fingered by vegans as the cause of cancer.

That is a really upsetting post. I would be one of those bedridden people who used to be featured on Oprah if I McDougalled-- starch is my bęte noire.

Have you ever read Mark Sisson's post on it? He is not impressed by the McDougall advocates' appearance:

Quote:
I watched at every meal as overweight, unhealthy people piled their plates with at least two pounds of bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, beans, desert cake, and a glass of fruit juice. Sometimes they went back for more. By my calculations these people were consuming 200 to 300 or more grams of (mostly simple) carbohydrates at each of three meals. There was no way these folks were going to lose fat on this trip. It was, in my view, a type 2 diabetes epidemic in-the-making.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vega.../#ixzz2sUoGVlPX
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 19:14
Lipivore

BF:

Yes, I've seen that. It makes sense as keto diets spare branched-chain amino acids compared to high carb diets matched for calories and protein. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6761185

BCAA supplementation has actually been found to extend life in animals. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20889128

I listened to an interview just today with Dr. D'Agostino. He discussed the fact that even though BCAA simulate mTOR, they do not increase cancer growth. This is interesting to me as I'd read that stimulating mTOR was a bad thing... unless the context of the diet makes a difference. I wish it were more in-depth. http://youtu.be/fB-4Oi8JpUE
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 06:18

Happened to read a new blog post that includes a summary section on meat, with links to two meta-analysis of the meat/cancer connection studies, which found no evidence of a connection for women (and negligible for men)
Footnote 19, 20.
http://authoritynutrition.com/top-5...save-your-life/
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 07:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Happened to read a new blog post that includes a summary section on meat, with links to two meta-analysis of the meat/cancer connection studies, which found no evidence of a connection for women (and negligible for men)
Footnote 19, 20.
http://authoritynutrition.com/top-5...save-your-life/

Dang, I enjoyed that! Made me want to make a dark chocolate & cheddar omelete, fried in coconut oil, with a steak on the side!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 10:54

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

Thanks for the replies. I feel better re.that meat doesn't play so much a role in my getting cancer as I first thought. I was feeling ripped off, like someone posted about how their friend felt guilty over how they had eaten.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 18:04
Lipivore

BF:

fatFreeMe (Jody)?,

*HUGS*! You will do well, my friend. I know you will! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Last edited by RawNut : Fri, Feb-07-14 at 18:25.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 13:51

New Study Released today in the on-line edition of Cacner Research. I do not have access, but media is picking up the story. From NBC:

Quote:
Here's How Sugar Might Fuel the Growth of Cancer
by MAGGIE FOX

Researchers may be able to explain how sugar might fuel the growth of cancer. They say it boils down to one type of sugar in particular: fructose.

Tests in mice show a possible mechanism for how it happens. The findings, published in the journal Cancer Research, support studies that suggest people who consume more sugar have a higher risk of cancer — especially breast cancer.

"A lot of patients are told it doesn't matter what you eat after you are diagnosed with cancer. This preliminary animal research suggests that it does matter," said Lorenzo Cohen of the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, who worked on the study.

The findings add one more piece of evidence to a growing body of science that shows a Western-style diet is a major risk factor for many types of cancer. Other research has shown that at least two-thirds of all cases of cancer come down to lifestyle choices — tobacco use, an unhealthy diet and a lack of exercise.

Research has also pointed to refined sugar as one of the culprits. But this factor is harder to pin down, since "sugar" is a very broadly used term. Some sugars are vital nutrients, and the body uses a form of sugar called glucose to generate energy.

Cohen's team found that fructose, in particular, affects a metabolic process (or pathway) called 12-LOX. It helps cells metastasize, or spread.

"The majority of cancer patients don't die of their primary tumor. They die of metastatic disease," Cohen told NBC News.

These findings help explain what other researchers have seen looking at cancer patients in general: Those who eat more sugary foods are more likely to have advanced cancer.

Cohen's team used mice for their study but say they took many steps to make sure the process was as close as possible to what happens in people. They fed sugar to the mice in doses very similar to what Americans eat every day, and they used mice that are genetically predisposed to breast cancer in much the same way that many people are.

They fed mice four different diets that were either heavy in starch or heavy in different types of sugar.

"A human study reported that dietary sucrose/fructose/glucose but not starch is associated with increased risk of breast cancer," they wrote in their report.

When the mice were six months old, 30 percent of those fed a starch-dominant diet had breast cancer. But half the mice that had been fed extra sucrose had breast tumors. And the more sugar they were fed, the bigger the tumors grew.

Sucrose or table sugar is actually composed of two sugars: glucose and fructose. Cohen's team wanted to see if one or the other made a difference, because the body processes them differently.

"Fructose is processed more by the liver, glucose by the pancreas and other organs," Cohen said.

They studied where the sugar went in the bodies of the mice. When the mice got more fructose, they grew larger tumors and faster.

This supports other findings that have shown pancreatic tumors also thrive on fructose.

"It seems that fructose is driving this inflammatory process more than glucose," Cohen said. "It seems from these series of experiments that it really fructose that within the sucrose that is the driver of the tumorigenic process."

Any sugar helped make the tumors grow faster, but fructose did it significantly more.

It's still not quite clear just how this happens and it's not clear how the LOX-12 pathway affects cancer, Cohen and colleague Peiying Yang said. But it appears fructose makes LOX-12 more active.

The implications for people are clear. Cohen notes that fructose consumption in the U.S. surged from about half a pound a person a year in 1970 to more than 62 pounds a year in 1997. That's mainly due to the broad use of high fructose corn syrup.

Other experts and several trade groups representing the food and beverage industry argue that fructose and sugar in general are safe ingredients and say there's really no evidence that fructose is any worse than any other sugars. They point out that fructose is found in natural fruit, for example.

Cohen says that like oxygen, a little is vital for life but too much is toxic.

"We need glucose. We need sugar. It is an energy source and we need it to live," he said. "We refine sugar that extracted from its source and consume in extremely high quantities."

Fruit does provide fructose, but it's mixed with fiber and other nutrients. This study didn't look at whether that affects the growth of tumors, but other experts point out that sweetened soft drinks — the largest single source of sugar in the western diet — provide only sugar and no other nutrients.

The World Health Organization says people should try to get no more than five percent of calories from sugar.

Health officials routinely advise Americans to eat less processed sugar.

"USDA, much to the anger of the sugar industry, said the maximum amount of sugar one should consumer in one's diet is 10 percent of calories from sugar," Cohen said. That's around 6 teaspoons a day for women and 9 teaspoons a day for men."

That was the lowest dose of sugar that Cohen's team fed their mice - and even that amount fed tumor growth, he said.

An average 12-ounce can of soda has 10 teaspoons of sugar.

There are other reasons to minimize sugar. Other studies show sugar-heavy diets can fuel heart disease, diabetes and Alzheimer's disease. But cutting sugar can lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels after only a few days.

A study published in June estimated that eating too much sugar killed 184,000 people a year.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/cance...-cancer-n488456

http://www.sciencecodex.com/sugar_i...s tasis-172627