Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 19:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 264/257/160 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Is it EVER!!!
Progress: 7%

“An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

For me, acting as if I didn't hear those stupid comments and conducting myself with dignity would be best. Why should I acknowledge stupidity, or even dignify it with a response or a reaction? Those kind of people will never change because of what you may say or do. All it would do would be to give them something else to snicker over. Ignoring the ignorant, refusing to give them power over you, shows great maturity.

That is not to say it is wrong to go to a helpless person's aid, but then, you aren't helpless are you? You are a brave, strong woman of power. You have grace and beauty inside. In your heart and in your mind you have the power to rise above pettiness. Become calm, be proud, you can do this.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 21:56

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

The parents of the child who lost an adult tooth and will probably need dental work can sue the parents. Sometimes you have to hit them in the wallet. Even if he's financially successful, I bet he will NOT be happy. It's been done in our county. They could probably sue for emotional damage too.

AND the child whose hair he cut. I know when I was that age, it would have been very traumatic. However, at that age, I would have hurt him. I wouldn't start it, but I wouldn't lay down for it either.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 09:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanna14
Ignoring the ignorant, refusing to give them power over you, shows great maturity.

While this is utterly true, and can often be the best, or only available, response, I see other factors.

Idiocy must have consequences.

If calling these people out embarrasses them, GOOD. It might not enlighten them. But if it stops them from being rude in public, we are doing them a favor.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-14, 12:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 264/257/160 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Is it EVER!!!
Progress: 7%

Nothing stops people from being stupidly cruel, unless it happens to them. Bullying is unacceptable, true. But who will be more embarrassed if you make a scene, you or them? They have already proven their stupidity and arrogance. Anything you say would simply prove them right in their own mind. However, if that woman had slapped her, she would be perfectly justified to punch her lights out!

“It takes someone strong to leave with their head held high. It takes someone stronger to stay with their head held higher.”
― Isabella Poretsis

“How would your life be different if…You stopped allowing other people to dilute or poison your day with their words or opinions? Let today be the day…You stand strong in the truth of your beauty and journey through your day without attachment to the validation of others”
― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free

“One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.”
― Michael J. Fox

“...here's what I've learned - people will hurt you, but you don't have to respond - not every mean comment or cruel act deserves to be noticed ...”
― John Geddes, A Familiar Rain
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-14, 13:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Civilization is dead.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-14, 13:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamama
Sorry I frustrated you, certainly wasn't my intention.

Well I'm back. You didn't frustrate me. Managers who refuse to do a good job and hide behind their protocols frustrate me.

"Now, as of yesterday, when his son cut a little girls pigtail right off with a pair of scissors and claiming "her blonde hair is ugly", his son is expelled."
The kid should have been expelled long before this happened. At some point the administrators have to take responsibility for tolerating this far too long and handling it in ineffective ways. Upon coming back, if this kid so much as makes cross eyes, he should be expelled again. So far he's just learned how to play the system, intimidate his classmates and learned the line he can walk to get away with it.