Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-15, 19:08
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

its on my wish list
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-15, 11:27
Everyday Sane Psycho

I got the Briefton slicer and it makes nice zucchini noodles. how long do you cook these for to cook them or do you serve them raw?
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-15, 10:24
Registered Member

Plan: thm
Stats: 168.8/152.2/120 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have one just like Judy posted but it doesn't work well with yellow squash unless i didn't do it right. Yellow squash is one of my favorite vegetables so i was disappointed and haven't used it since. So can someone tell me if i was using it wrong or should i have not used yellow squash.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-15, 10:39

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Mine is the Veggetti and although I haven't tried the yellow I think it might work fine on the larger part of the squash but not the little neck portion.
I love yellow squash too and it has about the same carbs as Zucchini which is very low at only 2.5 for 1/2 a cup.
Great vitamins and minerals too, in both!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-15, 10:59

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

my husband put a cabbage thru our paderno last night. wow! i didnt think it would be able to hold a cabbage but it was a smaller one and it worked perfectly to make shredded cabbage. we're also very impressed with the zoodles. they have a better texture than i was expecting!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-15, 03:53

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Nice to see this thread bumped!

I just bought one (the Paderno in the first post) and LOVE it - even made room for it in my tiny Parisian kitchen, putting something else in the cellar, and that's saying a lot!

Mostly I make the zucchini noodles with it, but the carrots are super cute (they come out in real curly things and my kids have tripled their consumption of veggies with this gadget). I've also done beets and sweet potatoes and butternut squash and onions - those are great, it slices super-easily, and you end with this giant pile of thin-sliced onion in no time at all.

I love the super-easy clean up (just rinse under water).

I've been pan-frying the zoodles, can't imagine boiling them, even pan-frying in a large pan they give a ton of moisture. I've seen a number of recipes recommending to just use them raw and let the hot sauce you put on top be the only "cooking" they get - I'd love to try that, but I'm actually doing AIP so no tomato sauces for me, and I probably won''t try an AIP no-mato bolognese sauce for another 2 weeks...

I have cabbage on my "want to try" list soon - my fridge right now is too full for another veggie, but later this week I'll tackle that!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-15, 14:39
Everyday Sane Psycho

I found out you can just boil zucchini noodles for a minute but before you cook them salt and let them drain for 30 minutes. I found after you boil them quckly cool them and then sprinkling with a little parmasian cheese to allow any sauces to stick to the noodles.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-15, 15:38
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I cook Zoodles 2 different ways. Either steam in the microwave for 5 minutes or sauté in oil and fresh chopped garlic also for 5 minutes.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 19:02

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Just used my Veggetti for the first time for Zucchini noodles--zoodles I guess! I sautéed them briefly in a little bit of coconut oil and tossed them in a Peanut Sauce (recipe in the Veggetti booklet). Next time I'll drain the zoodles better and make the sauce thicker, too. But the flavor was wonderful, and I know I'm going to make zoodles a lot. So easy.

New DH and I combined kitchens, and between us we have several cast iron skillets that we generally use on our older model ceramic cooktop. Wish I had my gas burners because there's no fine heat control. So I went to Walmart and bought a cheap electric skillet. Bingo! My prayers are answered. It's light weight--easy for me to handle and easy-peasy to clean. It heats right up to a good stir-fry temperature, or whatever I want, and cools right down, too.

So in the past week I've acquired an immersion blender, a Veggetti, and an electric skillet. Up to speed in my own kitchen at last.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 20:18

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I use a Veggetti, mostly for zucchini and yellow squash (no problems with either). I usually microwave the noodles and add butter and cheese. But sometimes I'll do a Bolognese sauce from scratch. It was one of the few dishes I could cook, and cook well, back in the old high carb/load up with pasta days. I did feel deprived without spaghetti Bolognese in my life but the Veggetti solved that.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 23:30

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I haven't used my spiralizer for zucchini yet - got it after zucchini season was over - but I read somewhere that spreading the freshly cut zoodles on a towel, and covering with another, and pressing a bit to mop up moisture, is a good way to make them pan ready. If parsnips or rutabagas cross your path they make great noodles - they are quite dry from the start, and fairly bland in flavor - kind of like real pasta!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 14:39

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I did daikon radish recently & it's great! Crisp for days in Tupperware...
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 05:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Amazon Gold Box deal on Paderno tri-blade this morning. $22.99 vs $40 in Williams Sonoma and $30 usually on Amazon. Gold box deals often don't last for long, sometimes only hours, but if you see this post, even cheap me who mostly buys at thrift stores finally sprung for one
And speaking of thrift stores, yesterday I found a Never Used Crockpot, in a smaller size for the two of us programmable too. now I just need to find room in cabinets for two more large gadgets.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 08:56

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Great find, Janet! I gave up on the Veggetti long ago in favor of the "desktop" model. But I didn't get such a great deal. My grandson--three y/o--loved helping me spiral the zucchini. He cranked while I held everything in place.

I'm also getting the hang of the mandolin, although the the technique is a bit more complicated to start. Not to mention the many-blade mechanics of the thing.

Verbena, you are right. Letting the veggies drain for a while is a good idea. Some, like eggplant, you can put in a colander with a sprinkle of salt, and let drain for a while before you proceed with cooking.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 09:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

That's the kind I have, Janet. Love it! It is still on sale today.