Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-14, 12:05

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/208/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 81%

Lovinita, you're right.
Sometimes it isn't worth the fight. I love her and want her to be healthy, but in the end it is her choice. I can only do so much, bringing healthy choices to her holiday parties, etc.
Thank you again and good luck with your Dad.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-14, 19:28

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
funny how this thread digressed to personal opinions and detraction from the original post. Perhaps this is the reason there are not more people visiting and staying on these pages to share their experiences so that we can all benefit from successes and failures.

I think it's more that many of us don't have the missionary zeal or the thick skin that is required for missionary work. A few years ago someone was telling me about low carb, but she was so insistent that I must do it that I backed off. She reminded me of one of my favorite poems:

The Sunbeam Poem

She was a sunbeam all sparkling
and bright,
Shedding her rays from left and
from right.
She was a sunbeam with zeal
unabated,
She was a sunbeam and boy
was she hated.

Valentina Wisiniewski

Which is why I go by the AA-OA philosophy of attraction, not promotion. If I am asked how I've managed to lose the weight or why I eat "weird" food, I tell the truth. But I don't go around collaring all the diabetics I know and preach to them.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-14, 19:51
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

I would agree with you Bonnie, when I am asked, I tell people. If I know someone is diabetic and they don't ask. I don't say anything except when I have good news like A1C going down or weight going down I mention that. But never get into specifics about low carbing...

Like my hubby's friend was over this weekend, he is Type1. he said i looked good and that was the end of the conversation. I didn't bring it up, go into nothing. He knows through hubby I been loosing weight, getting my daibetes under control through eating differently. But he didn't ask. So I don't say anything.

Now my parents asked, and I actually cooked them breakfast and a dinner when I was out visiting to show them what I eat.

Upto them if they choose to do it..
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-14, 10:37

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

If friends are newly Dx'd I often offer them a copy of Blood Sugars 101.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-14, 10:42

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Which is why I go by the AA-OA philosophy of attraction, not promotion. If I am asked how I've managed to lose the weight or why I eat "weird" food, I tell the truth. But I don't go around collaring all the diabetics I know and preach to them.

#21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-14, 04:40

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Just enjoyed reading through this thread. So encouraging to be imded that you are all there -- sometimes it is a bit lonely. Love the discussion and ALL its directions!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-14, 04:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Wow, lots of people are here. I stopped visiting about 1 to 1 1/2 years ago.

I read Dr. Bernstein and no matter what I worked at controlling my T2 diabetes and keeping it in the 5's even if I had to use Novolog fast insulin to do so.

The problem was I kept straying away from low carbing. I was up to 90 units of insulin a day. That gets expensive.

So, I made the decision to go for gastric bypass; a decision that I will never regret. I am down 80 pounds now. I have controlled my diabetes by being relatively low carbs; generally 100 to 150 grams a day, but often under 100 grams a day. I am off meds completely both diabetic meds as well as blood pressure meds.

I expect to see my cardiac vascular disease to reverse. I have slowed it down tremendously.

So, lots of good things. Can I destroy this effort? Certainly, many have done so. I am 70 a new grandpa and looking forward to making 80. Had I not done the surgery, I probably wouldn't make it through my 70s. Now I believe I have a chance.

5 months ago I was 290 now I am 210 and still dropping. I have gained new energies, feeling fit for the first time in a long time and under control. I simply need to surround myself with success. This forum as well as the American Bariatrics forum as well as my Weight Watcher friends will help me to do so.

Today I manage a high protein diet that doesn't exceed 1200 to 1500 calories a day with net calories often under 1200 or even under 1000 a day. I am doing a light workout now at least 3 times a week. I am getting out in the yard and doing things myself that I had a gardener do for so many years and so on and so forth.

Thanks for being here.

Ralph
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-14, 15:19

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Where's the delete button? lol.....
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 04:22

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Where's the delete button? lol.....

Well Cajunboy at least you drew a lot of attention, albeit not the original request.

Quite frankly, it is hard to solicit since so many T2 diabetics out there are in denial and don't want to learn anything.

I have tried a few times to get people who I knew were diabetic to come to the forum and also to learn more about the disease. Most aren't interested.

So yes, that is why once you have diabetes most doctors give up on you since you always have a reason to run around with high BS numbers.

Anyway, I am post op bariatric surgery now about 6 months, 210 pounds (down 80), off all my meds except bystolic for the heart and Lipitor to keep cholesterol down. While not perfect I do control carbs.

I generally keep them within the 100 to 150 gram area. When focused I get them under 100. I anticipate my next A1C will still be in the 5's.

I am feeling great.

Ralph
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-14, 07:29

Stats: 248/232/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I'm new here and I'm one of those T2 diabetics who has been in denial. I was at the point when I could tell when my test would be high. Lately I've had a couple of 219s and that scared me more than the 163s...of course, that is, when I bother to test.

My feet had a few rough patches that I discovered this weekend. I googled diabetic feet and saw some photos I don't care to see ever again. One non-photographic google result led me to a message about Dr. Bernstein's book, I ordered it Sunday, and started following some of the message's low carb eating suggestions yesterday.

I'm tired of burying my head in the sand about this and tired of worrying that by the time I retire in 4 years, will I be able to do the traveling and many miles of walking that I normally do when traveling? Not without a foot.

Bread has made me what I am today. Not going into this planning to cheat.

I take drugs for diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.

I'm glad to be here.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-14, 08:40

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Good for you bbdiabetic for seeing the light. Bernstein is a great program. It won't always be easy, but it is the way back to your health. All the best to you.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-14, 10:11

Stats: 248/232/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Thanks Liz53. I cannot understand why I was told it was okay to eat fruit by the nutritionist I saw 3-4 months after my diagnosis. My sister who has worked in the medical field was always telling me to watch the fruit, but I thought it was okay as long as I stayed away from fruit juice and didn't pig out on fruit. Always have eaten whole grains and fruit.

This morning, against everything I thought was good for me, I had two fried eggs with a slab of cheese melted on top. An hour later my test was 136. Go know. Head to the store for avocados - half a day with greens at lunch sounds wonderful along with a chunk of protein.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-14, 12:00

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Res fruit: you need to use your meter and test what they do to you. Controlled T2s normally have 'mere bites' of oranges, bananas, apples. We can enjoy a little more of the berries, most of which are fairly low in sugars. But confirm by testing.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-14, 16:02

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdiabetic
I'm tired of burying my head in the sand about this and tired of worrying that by the time I retire in 4 years, will I be able to do the traveling and many miles of walking that I normally do when traveling? Not without a foot.

I was the same way. It was getting to know a diabetic with no legs that really scared me. After I met him, I counted up the other diabetics I know - 2 others in wheel chairs tho they haven't lost any limbs - yet - and several others who are not doing at all well.

I have pain in both feet & drop foot in one. If I were to lose the use of my feet I wouldn't be able to take care of my "babies" - donkeys, chickens, rabbits & cats.

Since starting LCHF with Dr. B's advice, the pain hasn't gotten any worse. Hopefully it will get better.

Not only will you start mistrusting nutritionists (but there are a few good ones!), you will also not trust the ADA. I think they want us all sick or dead.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-14, 04:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Now you can add the CDC to a list of authorities you should not trust. Check out the YMCA program, based on the CDC program, based on My Plate, I posted in this thread. 4-6 oz of grains, fruit and dairy at every meal. Yeah, that will help.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=461028