Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 09:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It's a very encouraging sign. We gotta start somewhere!

Theres gonna be a backlash from the sugar industry soon - surely????? Altho I wonder if this has anything to do with reports a while ago that the EU was going to start using HFCS this year????? (I read something like that a while ago??)

Jo xxx
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 09:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Umm. Uck.

Blackened prime rib with hollandaise sauce. Now that will make you forget about sugar!
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 09:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
Theres gonna be a backlash from the sugar industry soon - surely????? Altho I wonder if this has anything to do with reports a while ago that the EU was going to start using HFCS this year????? (I read something like that a while ago??)

Jo xxx

Yes, there will be. But the EU is currently better than us regarding GMOs, so perhaps not.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 09:50

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Thanks Demi

Bob
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 09:57

BF:

The real "trap" is: look at those menus.

They eliminate sugar, and they've already told us not to eat meat and fat. What's left? Grains and beans and seaweed.

I'd be miserable the first day, fatter by the second week, and catching every bug around by the second month. My foray into vegetarianism was a disaster because I can't get enough protein from vegetable sources.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, Jan-12-14 at 10:09.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 10:21

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

A really good accounting of the struggle to give up sugar - the facts and the rationalizations. When I began reading it I wasn't so sure she'd make it, but she sticks with it. She sounds French in that she can eat cheese and bread but not sweets, and lose 5 lbs in a month.

It will be interesting if her final words work for her:
Quote:
If you can fool yourself that you don’t need to eat a certain food group and “train” yourself to avoid it, you save a lot of time and procrastination. I’m not sure I will be able to think for life that “I don’t eat sugar”. But I can manage to think – and live – the idea that I don’t eat sugar most of the time.

Will she be able to *control* her sugar intake or will she find it is NOT mind over matter? Will she gain back the 5 lbs if she takes this approach? She's in the place I was when I first began low carbing, thinking maybe I could turn it on and off at will. I think it is place you have to come out of through trial and error.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 10:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
She's in the place I was when I first began low carbing, thinking maybe I could turn it on and off at will.

Yeah, it's all fun and games until the pants don't fit.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 11:32

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Another 'I Quit Sugar' article from today's Mail on Sunday:

Quote:
Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar

Three years ago I decided to quit sugar. I’d played with the idea many times before, but had never quite gone the full distance. Then I decided to get serious

What started out as just a New-Year experiment became something more. Giving up sugar was easier than I thought, and I felt better than ever, so I just kept going and going.

I interviewed dozens of experts around the world and did my own research as a qualified health coach. I experimented, using myself as a guinea pig, and eventually assembled a stack of scientifically tested techniques that really worked. Then I got serious and committed. I chose.

THESE THINGS ARE ALWAYS A MATTER OF CHOOSING. AND COMMITTING
We have a deep-rooted resistance to quitting sugar. We grow up with an emotional and physical attachment to it. Just the idea of not being able to turn to it when we’re feeling happy or want to celebrate, or when we’re feeling low or tired,
terrifies us. If not a sweet treat, then what? Well, I’ll tell you what:

A MIND AND BODY THAT’S CLEAN AND CLEAR
But I soon learned that when you quit sugar, you can feel very much on your own. Our modern food system is set up around sugar, and seductively so.

JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING WE EAT IS LACED WITH SUGAR
I found breakfast became a minefield and trying to grab a healthy, sugar-free snack on the run was virtually impossible. I had to get clever and creative. So I spent the next 12 months inventing new fructose-free snacks and meals, both sweet and sweet-diverting, and devising a step-by-step programme full of tips, tricks and techniques to help you eliminate the white stuff for good.

MY STORY: WHY I HAD TO QUIT
I was a sugar addict. I didn’t look like one. I didn’t drink Coke or put sugar in my coffee. I’ve never eaten a Krispy Kreme doughnut, and ice cream bores me.

BUT HERE’S THE THING: I WAS A COVERT ADDICT
I hid behind the so-called ‘healthy sugars’ such as honey, dark chocolate and fruit. Which made things harder in some ways because first I had to face my denial. From my teens on I’d been riding a horrible rollercoaster of sugar highs and lows. I would binge. Then, feeling guilty, I would starve myself the rest of the day.

I got sick off the back of this reactionary eating – very sick. I developed mood disorders and sleep problems, and finally I developed adrenal issues and my first autoimmune disease – Graves, or overactive thyroid. Ever since, I’ve had stomach problems linked to poor gut balance and have developed further autoimmune issues, most recently Hashimoto’s.

Over time I swapped my processed sugary carbs for ‘healthy’ sugary treats. And, yeah, I ate less sugar overall. But all the symptoms still continued. I didn’t put it down to sugar completely. But I knew it was a major player.
For the past ten years I’ve eaten very well. But up until three years ago I was still eating too much sugar every day. After every meal. I was still addicted.

SO HOW ADDICTED WAS I? HERE’S A SNAPSHOT:
I was eating three pieces of fruit a day, a handful of dried fruit, a teaspoon or two of honey in my tea, a small (35g) bar of dark chocolate after lunch and, after dinner, honey drizzled on yoghurt, or dessert (if I was out).

A conservative day would see me consume about 25-plus teaspoons of sugar, just in that rundown of snacks above. That’s not counting the hidden sugar in things like tomato sauce and commercial breads. I told myself I ate ‘good’ sugar and convinced myself I didn’t have a problem.

BUT SUGAR IS SUGAR...
Sure, the other ingredients mixed in with the sugar in, say, a muesli bar or a piece of fruit were good for me. But the chemical composition of sugar – whether it’s in a mango or a chocolate bar – remains the same. And it is highly addictive.

Quote:
IT WAS TIME TO FACE THE FACTS

FACT 1
I was eating way more sugar than we’re designed to eat.
Even though I was eating much less sugar than the average Brit or Australian, it was still too much. From my research, I learned that we are designed to metabolise only a small amount of sugar a day, 5-9 teaspoons, equivalent to two small pieces of fruit, which is what we used to eat before the ‘invention’ of sugar in the 1800s.

FACT 2 I was addicted.
And in a most undignified way. If someone put a cheesecake in front of me or a family-sized block of chocolate, and I was having a weak moment, I’d damn well eat the lot. Once I got a taste, I couldn’t control myself.

FACT 3 I wasn’t well.
I suspect my autoimmune disease is, to an extent, linked to my lifelong sugar habit. And it is certainly made worse by sugar. Anyone with a compromised system simply cannot afford to have their stress hormones (adrenaline and cortisol), their neurotransmitter levels (dopamine) or their insulin levels tipped off balance by sugar. It’s a hard, cold but oddly motivating fact!

FACT 4 I wanted to lose weight.
I’d put on weight (nearly two stone) from my thyroid disease a few years back and hadn’t been able to shift it. It wasn’t a core issue for me but it played on my mind. I was keen to see if cutting sugar would help.

FACT 5 I’d had enough.
I was done with riding the rollercoaster of sugar highs and lows and my obsession with my next fix. And I figured it was time to at least try eliminating sugar. Just to see what happened. To begin with, I committed to ‘just trying it out’. But after two weeks I felt so much clearer and cleaner, I kept going. I wasn’t draconian about it. I just remained curious…

FAST FORWARD
Nowadays I try to keep my sugar intake as low as possible: 5–9 teaspoons of sugar a day is my recommended limit. For me, eating sugar-free has become incredibly easy, efficient, economical, sustainable and…right.

For the first time in decades, I am eating exactly what I want. That’s what going sugar-free does – it recalibrates your appetite. I don’t think about restricting my intake. Ever. And eating has become even more joyous and deeply, wholly satiating.

I’m no white-coated expert. But I did succeed in ridding my life of sugar and I did experience first hand what worked and what didn’t. Now I want to share what I found and help as many people as I can make the leap to healthy, sugar-free living.

I wish you luck and a whole lot of wellness.

Sarah
My No 1 IQS mantra: ‘Be gentle and kind’. As you do the I Quit Sugar programme, please go gently and don’t punish yourself. We don’t respond well to ‘restrictive thinking’. You’re doing this not because you have to, but because it might make you feel better. Be alive to this as often as you can through the process. Repeat: gentle and kind…

Time to quit? You decide!

♥ Do you get an energy slump in the afternoon?
♥ Do you need something sweet after meals?
♥ Does your stomach get bloated after eating?
♥ Are you unable to eat just one piece of cake and walk away?
♥ Are you ‘podgy’ around the middle, perhaps even slim everywhere else?
♥ Do you often feel unclear? That you’re not always sharp and on-form?

I ticked ‘yes’ to most of the list, left, and had a sneaking suspicion that sugar might be the thing making me feel baseline-crappy. If you do too, then have a go and see if quitting works. It has for tens of thousands of people who have completed my I Quit Sugar programme already. Take a ‘let’s just see’ approach and it will make the process less onerous.

Get an IQS buddy to do it with you. It does make it easier. Even just to have someone to cook new foods with. Read and learn as much information on the science of sugar absorption and sugar politics as you can (the sugar industry is a powerful lobby around the world). It will help remind you why you’re doing it, and keep you motivated.

Change doesn’t happen with an about-face. It happens by building up habits in our minds. Slowly, we form new neural pathways in our brains until we’re doing things differently, effortlessly. So every day that we flex our ‘I’m not eating sugar’ muscle, the stronger we get. I found it helped to view this process as a strengthening exercise.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you...Quit-Sugar.html
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 11:45

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Wow, that's another powerful article. So glad that the UK is *getting it* - I wish I could say that North America would be next, but I'm just not that optimistic.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 12:16

BF:

This is my favorite article on this subject so far.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 12:20

BF:

Yes, a good one!! I'm just wondering why its all happening now?????

Jo xxx
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-14, 13:27

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Great articles! Thank you!
I did this when I was twelve, in the 1960s. All my friends were giving things up for Lent, and I wanted to be part of the group. I was in boarding school in Ireland (an extended family re-location from California), and the food was horrible. I decided to give up adding sugar to what I ate, which was huge deal! Irish boarding school porridge (yum! Not) ... without several spoonfuls of sugar. Tea (the only drink available at breakfast and ... duh ... teatime) ... tasting strongly of the aluminum pot it was brewed in ... without added sugar. I don't remember if I stopped eating chocolate, or dessert, but I know I was very strict about pouring on the white crystals. By the time Easter rolled around I was desperate for the stuff. Back at school after the holiday I loaded up my tea, and drowned the porridge ... and almost threw up on the dining room floor! In the 50 years since I have never taken sugar in my tea, or on breakfast cereal of any sort. Sweet desserts are something I tend to avoid. Sugary drinks are, IMO, quite awful. I have eaten a predominantly whole foods diet for decades, though that included grains and such, until this last year. But "sweet" is not a sensation I have any problem avoiding. I keep telling my DH this - just give it up for a month - but he a) doesn't believe it, b) doesn't see the need, and c) is totally addicted to sweets.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-14, 04:58

BF:

Yet another 'I quit sugar' articles, this time from (British) Vogue magazine:

Quote:
Sweet Nothing

9 January 2014
Nicole Mowbray

Have you resolved to give up sugar this year? As more and more people sign up to the "No Sugar" club, Nicole Mowbray looks at the hard-boiled facts about giving up the sweet stuff and explains what it's like to ditch it - for good.

I love sugar: the dark, oozing richness of a hot chocolate pudding; the cloud-like frosting on a perfect carrot cake; the delectable sweetness of a spoonful of muscovado at the bottom of a mojito… Yet, last year, I became concerned about what my sweet tooth was doing to my 33- year-old skin (not to mention my waistline). According to a clutch of studies, sugar is not only contributing to our rising levels of obesity, it ages us, too. With a stressful job, an expensive skincare dependency and an ever-growing collection of fine lines accumulating daily, I decided to give it up.

The decision was spurred by other changes in my life. I'd recently come out of a six-month relationship with a 6ft 5in bon viveur who thought nothing of ordering several puddings each time we dined out, and had encouraged me to share a bottle of wine - or two - over lengthy Sunday lunches. He, a rugby- and cricket-playing sportsman who didn't look a day over 32 (he was 38), seemed to be able to pull off this decidedly unbalanced diet. I, however, couldn't. I'd started having trouble with my sleep, lying awake for hours before dozing off fitfully. I felt increasingly anxious and craved a treat every afternoon. My skin - particularly around the jawline - had become red, angry and blotchy. I'd noticed my thin under-eye area beginning to wrinkle, giving rise to dark circles. My skin was less taut. To top it all off, I felt decidedly unskinny in my skinny jeans.

And so, one sunny Tuesday morning in June, as I cycled to work, salivating over the thought of the honey-baked granola I'd enjoy on arrival, I started to ponder my total sugar intake. Thanks to spending my working week in an office full of women whose desks become extravagant tuck shops at four o'clock - macarons, bags of dried fruit, slabs of Hotel Chocolat, homemade chocolate brownies - it dawned on me the majority of my diet comprised sugar. I wouldn't contemplate having a greasy, fat-laden burger for lunch, but I'd chomp a Kit-Kat at teatime. And it wasn't just food. Although I've never been a big drinker, I'd taken to indulging in a stiff G&T or a large glass of pinot noir to mark the end of my working day. During an evening out, I could easily put away several sweet cocktails.

That day, I went online and ordered sugar-free bibles Clean & Lean Diet and Clean & Lean Diet Cookbook, and that was the beginning of the end. Sugar and I split up.

I went home and purged my cupboards. I threw away cereals, bread, biscuits and cakes. I banished sauces, honey and liqueurs. Less obvious foods, such as sushi, also faced expulsion (sushi rice is marinated in sugary wine). Thai meals, too, became verboten, along with processed food and anything that contained artificial sweetener. Dinners had to be planned and snacks were reduced to a few oatcakes with avocado or a handful of almonds or seeds. I even outlawed fruit, except for some dark berries each morning.

Despite my good intentions, the first sugar-free month was utterly joyless. Two days in, crippled by headaches and a complete lack of energy, I took to my bed, convinced I'd faint if I remained upright. Had I not performed the pre-emptive minesweep to eliminate temptation, I would have cracked. Instead, I felt too weak to crawl 50 metres to the shop.

My colleagues were incredulous of my new regime. Friends were doubtful, especially as I've always pronounced restrictive eaters boring, unsexy and neurotic. Some were aghast. Many lamented the new me. I was "no fun" any more. They rolled their eyes as I opened my packed lunch at work or skipped the dessert course, again. I was hardly likely to be the life and soul of a party. Not that I attended any. I was lucky if I stayed awake beyond 10, and would more often collapse into a fitful night's rest soon after work.

My regime discomfited others. I felt I made them self-conscious of their own choices. (I took three boxes of oatcakes on holiday last summer, and dutifully snacked on them while my friend ate poolside ice creams.) Others lambasted me that "life's too short" to be so restrictive. Four weeks in, they had to eat their words. I had lost a stone (14lbs), dropping from a (UK) size 14 to a 12, and the broken sleep I'd been suffering for the past few months began to abate. People started commenting on how the whites of my eyes were brighter.

But the biggest difference was to my skin. My cheeks took on a rosy tone. People commented that I looked "healthy" or "glowing". I decided to maximise my new energy by enlisting the services of personal trainer and nutritionist Holly Pannett to help me target excess weight around my waist. "There's a direct relationship between sugar and levels of the stress hormone cortisol," she said. "Cortisol has been shown to increase central fat distribution, so by limiting your sugar intake, you'll quickly target this area."

She was right. Within two months, my life had changed. Not only had I lost nearly 10kg, but the emotional rollercoaster of sugar highs and lows I'd become so used to disappeared, as did my cravings. I felt fuller more quickly, and for longer. For the first time, I felt in control of my diet rather than it being in control of me.

Ever since the prime minister, William Gladstone, abolished the sugar tax in 1874, making the sweet stuff affordable for the masses, the health of Britain has declined exponentially. But its more insidious effects have only recently become apparent. Dr Robert Lustig has spent the past 16 years studying the effects of sugar on the central nervous system, metabolism and disease. In his new book, Fat Chance: the Bitter Truth about Sugar, Lustig writes that it works on the brain's reward centre to encourage subsequent intake. "You get hooked on sugar at an early age, and it's harder to kick the habit after years of prolonged usage," he writes. "The stuff is abused… And when the sugar is stopped, symptoms of irritability - withdrawal - become apparent."

Sugar is also emotionally addictive. Most of us grew up with sweet foods used as a reward by our parents, grandparents and even doctors and dentists. "There are deep emotional associations with sweet foods," says James Duigan, founder of Bodyism and the Clean & Lean low-sugar regime. "Birthdays are marked by huge cakes drenched in sugar, sweets are given to soothe scraped knees. Is it any wonder that by the time we've reached our teens we've learnt to associate sugary food with happy times and making ourselves feel better?"

As for its effect on our faces: "There are several reasons too much sugar is harmful for your skin," says aesthetic doctor Mica Engel of London's Waterhouse Young Clinic. "In cases of glycation, excess glucose binds to the skin's youth proteins and turns them brittle and stiff. The surfaces of cells are effectively caramelised; the by-products of glycation accumulate in the body and skin constantly appears dull and aged."

Cell inflammation not only ages the skin; it depletes the stores of vitamins and minerals in your body, compromising your immune system. "It's not only the skin that suffers," continues Dr Engel. "There are other, more serious, issues presented by people with too much sugar in their bodies - circulatory problems, inflammation of the cartilages and joints [arthritis], eye problems [cataracts] and liver and kidney problems, to name a few…"

Buying good-quality ingredients has become my treat. But now I'm a small (UK) size 12 (10 on a good day) and full of energy, I deem it worth the sacrifice.

One year after making my sugar-free pact, I haven't looked back. Of course, eliminating sugary treats - and the associations bound up with them - leaves a hole in one's life: asking for a vodka and soda to accompany dinner doesn't feel as "social" as sharing a bottle of wine and socialising itself can be awkward - there's nothing like advising a host of your food fads to send their blood pressure soaring. I get around dinner parties by eating what I'm given and not worrying about it. I do, however, find I cook at home more often and spend a lot more on food. Buying good-quality ingredients - organic fish, meat and dairy products, say - has become my treat. But now I'm a small size 12 (10 on a good day) and full of energy, I deem it worth the sacrifice.

Shortly after starting my sugar-free life, I met someone new. Ironically, he has the sweetest tooth of anyone I've ever met and will sit beside me wolfing down chocolate brownies and praline ice cream. Happily though, neither of us is bothered by the other's eating peccadilloes, and for that I feel very thankful.

And I'm not a robot. There are times when I buckle and have the odd glass of red wine or scoop of gelato, but I don't beat myself up about it. I weigh two stone less than I used to, and my body shape is transformed. My hair and nails have never looked better. I sleep soundly and my skin is free from blotches. But, best of all, the lines that were beginning to cause me consternation are much less pronounced. And that's the sweetest treat of all.
http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/2014/...ugar-free-diets
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-14, 05:04

BF:

So true! Lets hope this momentum continues - Having been a sugar addict and still a nicotine addict. The two addictions are without doubt the same. I've conquered one, I need to try and eliminate the other one.

Jo xxx
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-14, 05:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
So true! Lets hope this momentum continues - Having been a sugar addict and still a nicotine addict. The two addictions are without doubt the same. I've conquered one, I need to try and eliminate the other one.

Jo xxx
Good luck with giving up smoking! I finally gave up 11 years ago after a 40+ a day habit! Conquering the nicotine addition made me realise that I could do the same with sugar and wheat, and I haven't looked back!