Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-13, 13:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
T I really miss starches and fruit and that's usually where I backslide.

If you were to consider this statement, do you think it might be possible that your dislike of low carb foods might be that you don't actually dislike them, but that you really miss those other foods?

I mean... do you think you'll dislike that pumpkin cheesecake caramel pie? It is low carb.

I really, really like salty crunchy things, like chips or crackers. Now I never allowed myself to eat them much before low carb days, but they sure call me now. However, I've been making that low carb microwave cracker recipe from this forum and I am so very happy. Oh yes, and pork rinds.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-13, 19:35

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

At some point you just have to decide what your goal is. Some doctors are quite happy if their diabetic patients get to 7. Mine was aiming for 7.3 and was rather shocked when I took it down to 4.9. Her goal and mine were not the same. I wanted a 'normal' A1c without meds.

To do that, I live with less than 25gm of carbs per day and only from non-starchy vegies. The trade off is worth it for me.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-13, 05:46

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi,

It has been awhile since I have been active in this forum.

However, your expectations are OK.

If you keep doing what you are doing with low carbs around 25 and occasionally up to 60 or even a 100, you can expect to see your A1C drop into the 6's for sure and should make the 5's.

I have been all over the map with respect to success/lapses in my efforts to control my weight, diabetes and A1C. However, I have always been able to keep my A1C in the 5's. I did use Novolog 80-90 units a day at my worst situations, but I kept my blood sugars in control.

Now I am post op 4 weeks bariatric gastric bypass. I have a new lease on life and a new tool to help me control my weight, my appetite, my Blood sugars, my blood pressure and so on and so forth.

I no longer need insulin. My diet is proteins first then fruit/veggies. If I had to venture a guess, I am consuming no more than 60 grams of carbs a day. In fact, I am journaling, so I should go back and look and let you know. More importantly, my blood sugars without any diabetic meds were averaging 115. Now, I have reintroduced Metformin ER 1000mg in the evening to see what its impact is. I am seeing my average drop to 107. As my weight continues to drop I believe my A1C will continue to drop as well and I will probably eliminate all diabetic drugs within the next few months.

Since end of September 2013 to present day, my weight has come down from 288 back to 249 and it continues to drop right now at a 5-7 pounds per week rate in these early months post op.

As others have said A1C is roughly a 90 day average reflecting how you ate over the prior 90 days. So, for you it is still a work in progress and it will continue to come down as you continue to limit your carbs the way you have described.

Best wishes,

Ralph