Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: Mostly LCHF
Stats: 150/144/145 Male 5' 10" / 177cm
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default Science has lost its way, at a big cost to humanity

Los Angeles Times http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...,1228881.column

Science has lost its way, at a big cost to humanity

Researchers are rewarded for splashy findings, not for double-checking accuracy. So many scientists looking for cures to diseases have been building on ideas that aren't even true.

Michael Hiltzik
October 27, 2013
Quote:
In today's world, brimful as it is with opinion and falsehoods masquerading as facts, you'd think the one place you can depend on for verifiable facts is science.

You'd be wrong. Many billions of dollars' worth of wrong.

A few years ago, scientists at the Thousand Oaks biotech firm Amgen set out to double-check the results of 53 landmark papers in their fields of cancer research and blood biology.

The idea was to make sure that research on which Amgen was spending millions of development dollars still held up. They figured that a few of the studies would fail the test — that the original results couldn't be reproduced because the findings were especially novel or described fresh therapeutic approaches.

But what they found was startling: Of the 53 landmark papers, only six could be proved valid.

"Even knowing the limitations of preclinical research," observed C. Glenn Begley, then Amgen's head of global cancer research, "this was a shocking result."

Unfortunately, it wasn't unique. A group at Bayer HealthCare in Germany similarly found that only 25% of published papers on which it was basing R&D projects could be validated, suggesting that projects in which the firm had sunk huge resources should be abandoned. Whole fields of research, including some in which patients were already participating in clinical trials, are based on science that hasn't been, and possibly can't be, validated.

"The thing that should scare people is that so many of these important published studies turn out to be wrong when they're investigated further," says Michael Eisen, a biologist at UC Berkeley and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. The Economist recently estimated spending on biomedical R&D in industrialized countries at $59 billion a year. That's how much could be at risk from faulty fundamental research.

Eisen says the more important flaw in the publication model is that the drive to land a paper in a top journal — Nature and Science lead the list — encourages researchers to hype their results, especially in the life sciences. Peer review, in which a paper is checked out by eminent scientists before publication, isn't a safeguard. Eisen says the unpaid reviewers seldom have the time or inclination to examine a study enough to unearth errors or flaws.

"The journals want the papers that make the sexiest claims," he says. "And scientists believe that the way you succeed is having splashy papers in Science or Nature — it's not bad for them if a paper turns out to be wrong, if it's gotten a lot of attention."

Eisen is a pioneer in open-access scientific publishing, which aims to overturn the traditional model in which leading journals pay nothing for papers often based on publicly funded research, then charge enormous subscription fees to universities and researchers to read them.

But concern about what is emerging as a crisis in science extends beyond the open-access movement. It's reached the National Institutes of Health, which last week launched a project to remake its researchers' approach to publication. Its new PubMed Commons system allows qualified scientists to post ongoing comments about published papers. The goal is to wean scientists from the idea that a cursory, one-time peer review is enough to validate a research study, and substitute a process of continuing scrutiny, so that poor research can be identified quickly and good research can be picked out of the crowd and find a wider audience.

PubMed Commons is an effort to counteract the "perverse incentives" in scientific research and publishing, says David J. Lipman, director of NIH's National Center for Biotechnology Information, which is sponsoring the venture.

The Commons is currently in its pilot phase, during which only registered users among the cadre of researchers whose work appears in PubMed — NCBI's clearinghouse for citations from biomedical journals and online sources — can post comments and read them. Once the full system is launched, possibly within weeks, commenters still will have to be members of that select group, but the comments will be public.

Science and Nature both acknowledge that peer review is imperfect. Science's executive editor, Monica Bradford, told me by email that her journal, which is published by the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science, understands that for papers based on large volumes of statistical data — where cherry-picking or flawed interpretation can contribute to erroneous conclusions — "increased vigilance is required." Nature says that it now commissions expert statisticians to examine data in some papers.

But they both defend pre-publication peer review as an essential element in the scientific process — a "reasonable and fair" process, Bradford says.

Yet there's been some push-back by the prestige journals against the idea that they're encouraging flawed work — and that their business model amounts to profiteering. Earlier this month, Science published a piece by journalist John Bohannon about what happened when he sent a spoof paper with flaws that could have been noticed by a high school chemistry student to 304 open-access chemistry journals (those that charge researchers to publish their papers, but make them available for free). It was accepted by more than half of them.

One that didn't bite was PloS One, an online open-access journal sponsored by the Public Library of Science, which Eisen co-founded. In fact, PloS One was among the few journals that identified the fake paper's methodological and ethical flaws.

What was curious, however, was that although Bohannon asserted that his sting showed how the open-access movement was part of "an emerging Wild West in academic publishing," it was the traditionalist Science that published the most dubious recent academic paper of all.

This was a 2010 paper by then-NASA biochemist Felisa Wolfe-Simon and colleagues claiming that they had found bacteria growing in Mono Lake that were uniquely able to subsist on arsenic and even used arsenic to build the backbone of their DNA.

The publication in Science was accompanied by a breathless press release and press conference sponsored by NASA, which had an institutional interest in promoting the idea of alternative life forms. But almost immediately it was debunked by other scientists for spectacularly poor methodology and an invalid conclusion. Wolfe-Simon, who didn't respond to a request for comment last week, has defended her interpretation of her results as "viable." She hasn't withdrawn the paper, nor has Science, which has published numerous critiques of the work. Wolfe-Simon is now associated with the prestigious Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

To Eisen, the Wolfe-Simon affair represents the "perfect storm of scientists obsessed with making a big splash and issuing press releases" — the natural outcome of a system in which there's no career gain in trying to replicate and validate previous work, as important as that process is for the advancement of science.

"A paper that actually shows a previous paper is true would never get published in an important journal," he says, "and it would be almost impossible to get that work funded."

However, the real threat to research and development doesn't come from one-time events like the arsenic study, but from the dissemination of findings that look plausible on the surface but don't stand up to scrutiny, as Begley and his Amgen colleagues found.

The demand for sexy results, combined with indifferent follow-up, means that billions of dollars in worldwide resources devoted to finding and developing remedies for the diseases that afflict us all is being thrown down a rathole. NIH and the rest of the scientific community are just now waking up to the realization that science has lost its way, and it may take years to get back on the right path.

Michael Hiltzik's column appears Sundays and Wednesdays.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 13:59

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

So the myth of per reviewed scientific journals being better than the 6 o clock news is mostly optimism.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 15:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

This is why I don't give the benefit of the doubt to doctors publishing diet books, even low-carb/paleo books. Proponents of every food plan are far too certain of the quality of science supporting their POVs. Even Dr. Jonathon Perlmutter makes frequent appeals to authority (studies from the best universities in the land). I sincerely hope that NuSi will design studies as good as possible, with an eye towards falsifying a hypothesis rather confirming a bias, so that results can either pave the way for larger trials or disprove the hypothesis.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 15:27
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Eisen is a pioneer in open-access scientific publishing, which aims to overturn the traditional model in which leading journals pay nothing for papers often based on publicly funded research, then charge enormous subscription fees to universities and researchers to read them.

I consider that part hugely important.

We pay taxes, the government funds research, but we're never going to see any of it because nobody can afford to subscribe to 20 expensive journals (or even 1), even though anything government funded IMO should be public.

Better, I'd like to be able to go see a research paper and discover for myself what its issues are. For example, one I posted in my journal a month ago or so, was a study on a natural substance, a drug, and a control. Controls all died. Drug all died. Natural substance, most lived. Natural plus drug, about half and half, died and lived. This was then used for the conclusion that the drug plus the natural substance was good for health. Ignoring that THE DRUG KILLED ALL OF THEM. It was only the natural substance that saved 'some' of them when it was present, obviously! This is the kind of stuff you don't know if you can't see anything more than the abstract.

Of course, we still have researchers that don't say jack about what they're actually feeding animals in a feeding study (or say something generic that could mean any number of things), and other ridiculous "my 4th grade teacher forgot to tell me to be complete when defining a word" problems, but at least then such problems would be more public than they are now.

Maybe public lambasting from blogs of bad research papers would be a sort of indirect social peer pressure to encourage alleged scientists to be allegedly scientific.

I don't believe anything anymore. I find it all interesting but I've come to be pretty cynical about 'science.'

PJ
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 16:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

It would be nice to have people who are objective to learn stuff from. Personally, I'm not sure I know any. We have to deal with humanity, flaws and all.

Maybe that's just how it works. Billions of people, all pig-headed... some of them are bound to be right. I'm just glad I'm on the winning team, nutritionally speaking.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 16:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

"A paper that actually shows a previous paper is true would never get published in an important journal," he says, "and it would be almost impossible to get that work funded."

Bingo. Proving someone else's research true or false never advanced anyone's own research let alone their career. In fact, if one did repeat someone else's work and did find an error, they'd probably keep it a secret. First because it wouldn't be worth the trouble to dispute some else's work and second because it would mislead other people and that's an advantage over them. Oddly enough I have some first hand experience dealing with the Amgen people from thousand oaks. They are no better than anyone else. The only difference was they have boku bucks to "waste" on studies of studies. I'm guessing they published their study of studies to discourage competitors from getting into that field or maybe it was to prove a point to a dumb regulator. Who knows.

Are some/most "wrong". I'm sure. The most famous "wrong" research in the biological area was Mendel who probably exaggerated his experiments on bean plants. Most times it's not malicious. It's just human nature to believe wrong results when they agree with our preconceived notions.

"nobody can afford to subscribe to 20 expensive journals (or even 1)"
Actually it's quite easy but you do have to be in a large company or academia. There is some librarians pool (I forget the name) you can join and get just about anything you want. Last year I got a photocopy of a internally published paper from a university in Wales. It had been sitting up on a shelf for decades and some person climbed up, got it, scanned it and faxed it to my librarian through this service. When I was doing research on my DVT I got all kinds of medical papers even though I work in an area that has nothing to do with that.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 19:17

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

There's nothing wrong with science. What's wrong is people screwing it up!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-13, 08:21
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I don't believe anything anymore. I find it all interesting but I've come to be pretty cynical about 'science.'PJ
I've come to pretty much the same conclusion after doing all my amateur research into nutrition science since I started low carbing more than a dozen years ago.

After reading the famous Ioannidis articles:

Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science

Why Most Published Research Findings Are False

it's hard to believe in anything published, regardless of peer review, so I don't.

Most nutrition and health policies are based on the so-called science of nutritional epidemiology, that comes from the population prevention strategy of Geoffrey Rose and pushed by Walter Willett among others.

I don't believe in Risk Factors at all anymore since it doesn't make any sense to me how you can turn incidence of diseases in population into my individual risk of getting some disease. I don't think you really can.

I love this description of how risk factors and markers are created from Adele Hite's blog post, The NaCl Debacle Part 2: We don’t need no stinkin’ science!,
Quote:
First, a little lesson in how the USDA/HHS folks create dietary guidance meant to improve the health and well-being of the American people:

1. Take a clinical marker, whose health implications are unclear, but whose levels we can measure cheaply and easily (like blood pressure, cholesterol, weight).
2. Suggest that this marker—like Karnac the Magnificent—can somehow predict risk of a chronic disease whose origins are multiple and murky (like obesity, heart disease, cancer).
3. Use this suggestion to establish some arbitrary clinical cut offs for when this marker is “good” and “bad.” (Note to public health advocacy organizations: Be sure to frequently move those goalposts in whichever direction requires more pharmaceuticals to be purchased from the companies that sponsor you.)
4. Find some dietary factor that can easily and profitably be removed from our food supply, but whose intake is difficult to track (like saturated fat, sodium, calories).
5. Implicate the chosen food factor in the regulation of the arbitrary marker, the details of which we don’t quite understand. (How? Use observational data—see methodological flaws above—but hunches and wild guesses will also work.)
6. Create policy that insists that the entire population—including people who, by the way, are not (at least at this point) fat, sick or dead—attempt to prevent this chronic disease by avoiding this particular dietary factor. (Note to public health advocacy organizations: Be sure to offer food manufacturers the opportunity to have the food products from which they have removed the offensive component labeled with a special logo from your organization—for a “small administrative fee,” of course.)
7. Commence collecting weak, inconclusive, and inconsistent data to prove that yes indeedy this dietary factor we can’t accurately measure does in fact have some relationship to this arbitrary clinical marker, whose regulation and health implications we don’t fully understand.
8. Finally—here’s the kicker—measure the success of your intervention by whether or not people are willing to eat expensive, tasteless, chemical-filled food devoid of the chosen food factor in order to attempt to regulate the arbitrary clinical marker.
9. Whatever you do, DO NOT EVER measure the success of your intervention by looking at whether or not attempts to follow your intervention has made people fat, sick, or dead in the process.
10. Ooops. I think I just described the entire history of nutrition epidemiology of chronic disease.
We each need to figure out what works best for us. No one-size-fits-all plan, pyramid, or plate will do that.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-13, 08:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I dont care what medical/nutritional science bangs out, I have no respect for it and use my own personal anecdotal evidence to decide what I eat. And I've never been fitter, healthier or happier in my life since giving up wheat and sugar and going HFLC. Anything else really needs a bit of common sense, afterall, why does the human body, thats managed for a good few centuries need sugar, wheat, statins now?? "Longevity" the so called experts say - well longevity these days is down to better sanitation, safer child birth, safer environments, modern medicine and more knowledge, not statins.

Jo xxx
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-13, 13:22
Every moment is NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
"nobody can afford to subscribe to 20 expensive journals (or even 1)"
Actually it's quite easy but you do have to be in a large company or academia. [...] Last year I got a photocopy of a internally published paper from a university in Wales.

OK so nobody but them. Nearly everyone I know doesn't fall into those groups. I'm closer than they are but my corp doesn't facilitate that.

Not to mention getting a few or a rare paper one knows about to ask about is not the same as simply getting a whole journal or magazine in the mail or website to make it easy to read through all that, they are book-sized sometimes and browsing is an important need.

Bottom line is, if you have to work in a university or uber-corp to get 'a paper' you want to read specifically, then it's just not practical for the average person to be able to read through a journal.

If average people pay taxes that fund the research IMO they should have public access to the journals. Everything is done digitally nowdays, there is no reason why it can't just be on the internet.

Except profit and exclusivity. But since the taxpayers are funding it, I don't see why such interests should be controlling things.

Ironically I consider plenty of nearly- and completely- laymen to be better at reviewing papers than many peer reviewers obviously are. Maybe the much easier critique if such things were to be easily and promptly accessible to the mass public is part of the resistance.

PJ

Last edited by rightnow : Tue, Oct-29-13 at 13:28.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-13, 13:42
Every moment is NOW.

Quote:
Adele Hite's blog post, The NaCl Debacle Part 2: We don’t need no stinkin’ science!,

That's awesome!

That reminds me of my favorite article of ALL TIME, "Zen and the Art of Debunkery," by Dan Drasin. The original version main section is here (at Brian Josephson's site):
http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bdj10...ism/drasin.html

PJ
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-13, 16:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
If average people pay taxes that fund the research IMO they should have public access to the journals. Everything is done digitally nowdays, there is no reason why it can't just be on the internet.

You raise a good point here. Not the free part but why we need to pay publishing prices for articles that are always available via pdf's. Frankly I don't know why price have not come down. Then again, maybe they have. idk. The justification for high prices used to be that the subscription base was so small and the care needed to print these articles so high that it just cost a lot.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-13, 08:02
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
That reminds me of my favorite article of ALL TIME, "Zen and the Art of Debunkery," by Dan Drasin. The original version main section is here (at Brian Josephson's site):
http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bdj10...ism/drasin.html
That is some good stuff! Thanks, I can use some of these techniques in my future debunkery
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-13, 09:23

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

The problem is big money, really big money moving in. It results not only in regulatory capture by industry, but even academic department capture.

Merely being wrong is not necessarily bad science. Given human irrationality and ability to rationalize it is truly difficult to arrive a good conclusions. Science is more of a process than a conclusion. At every step of the process things can go wrong. This is why it is that more than half of all studies are wrong, and even fewer are significant. Science also is often very expensive.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-13, 13:26
Every moment is NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
You raise a good point here. Not the free part but why we need to pay publishing prices for articles that are always available via pdf's. Frankly I don't know why price have not come down. Then again, maybe they have. idk. The justification for high prices used to be that the subscription base was so small and the care needed to print these articles so high that it just cost a lot.

I think there's a lot of things in the world like this. I used to work in an industry where someone told me that electric/hybrid cars were banned from pro racing (e.g. Indy 500) eons ago because comparative to gas engines they could go too fast (the cars can be lighter) and that was just too dangerous. But now gas engines can go even faster than that original amount. Yet it's still not allowed. Because Penzoil etc. "owns" the entire industry. Had nothing to do with speed, obviously.

PJ