Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-13, 14:10
Registered Member

Plan: paleo and ketogenic
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Kettlebells

I took some kettlebell classes in VA and now I am back in WI and struggling to find a good class. Seriously, this class and workout kicked my but, I loved it.

Anyone know of suggestions??/ I don't have a tv, so I cant buy kettlebells and do the workout at home.

The only thing I can think of is getting a book and following it at the gym with some music on my ipod. I need to keep this up, I felt so different when I was done!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-13, 17:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266.6/152.3/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I just saw a writeup on yahoo the other day about how kettle bell workouts SHRED calories, like a massive amt in 20ish minutes - It looked really interesting and not too long that it would be just miserable - how long were the classes you went to? Do you have Netflix? They might have workouts in their catalog (I have done yoga thru there before) - or maybe even youtube vids so you can use computer instead of tv
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-13, 18:02

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelove
Hi
I posted on the exercise forum but it doesn't look like many people are active on there... so I need to let everyone here know that I did kettlebell classes in VA and felt an amazing workout!! I saw a difference in my core, my arms and legs in 3 days. However, now that I am back in WI, I cant find a gym with these classes.

I do not have a tv, so I am trying to figure out how to keep this up and not get bored. I love my classes... but I guess I could buy a kettlebell book and then do them on my own in the gym, but it is totally NOT the same.
There will be a personal trainer network in town. Perhaps you can find one who has KB groups. Sometimes kettlebell instructors work outside of the usual fitness centers.

Or I might look online at Crossfit and see if there are local groups. They use them sometimes I hear.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-13, 19:27
Registered Member

BF:

Right I found a trainer but I want to just learn the techniques and do on my own. Yes you can burn 900 in an hour that is what I did !!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-13, 19:57
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

My GoFit KB's came with an exercise DVD. Crossfit and youtube are also good sources.

http://www.gofit.net/kettlebells.php

Last edited by mike_d : Tue, Aug-27-13 at 20:29. Reason: link
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-13, 23:51
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
My GoFit KB's came with an exercise DVD. Crossfit and youtube are also good sources.

http://www.gofit.net/kettlebells.php

Thank you. I am looking for a good guide. Do you see a difference using kb?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 04:34

Plan: SBR/Atkins
Stats: 154/135.5/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 77%

We use kb all the time in crossfit; if that is a financially sound option?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 19:01
Registered Member

BF:

Not right now. I belong to a gym and locked into the membership which is ok...they have les mills classes, but not kettlebells or crossfit.

I met a guy tonight who started teaching some basics... but I need more and want to start doing it on my own. he is great guy but going way tooo slow.. I am totally ready for more hard core workout.

I only know this because I took those classes in VA which I was sore, but definitely did ok.

shoot... I wish WI had classes.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-13, 13:06

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelove
Right I found a trainer but I want to just learn the techniques and do on my own. Yes you can burn 900 in an hour that is what I did !!!!
One thing - KBs are high intensity and whole body, so if you want to maximize fat loss, you have to keep the workouts short, like under 20 minutes. A whole hour of it would just burn sugar and protein (not as much fat). Not sure if you care what kind of calories you're burning - but if you want it to be stored fat, keep the session short if intensity is high and it's whole body.

Here's a neat article about this.

article about fat burning, intensity, and whole body

Quote:
So if exercising with high intensity is what you need to burn fat, then why not exercise longer so you can double or triple the fat burning? This is where (too) many people fall into the trap…thinking more is better.

Unfortunately it’s not the case. Exercise isn’t about just burning calories. It’s about burning the right calories. Just like dieting…cutting calories isn’t enough…if you don’t eat the right foods, it won’t work.

This is why the duration of the exercise is so important. If you exercise hard for a long time (an hour of more) you’re going to require more energy and (as I mentioned before) it’s going to get as much of it from your glycogen (stored glucose) first. Once that’s all used up, your body shifts it’s focus on converting protein (from your muscles) to energy and completely bypasses fat.

So by exercising hard for a longer duration, you’ve managed to burn more calories, but you burned calories from sugar and protein…not fat. Which means, you kept the fat, but lost the muscles…not exactly what you were working for.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-13, 22:29
Registered Member

BF:

Seejay. Thank you for the article. Actually it made perfect sense why I am getting leaner with doing shorter exercise routines. However tomorrow I am meeting another kettlebell group and then I signed up for an aerobic class after. This was before I read the article. I still am not sure about the intensity??? I think I will do 20 min of kettlebell on my own and then I could do the aerobic class . My issue is that the aerobics gives me the high that I love, it is not so much about weight loss on this one. After years of experimenting I can see that longer isn't always better. Do you know of les mills classes? Body pump? Attack?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-13, 10:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Phinney/Volek (low carb researchers) warn against doing too much aerobics. It can lower your resting metabolic rate by as much as 15%. Yuck! Who wants to burn 15% fewer calories? Keep the workouts short and have a day or two of lay off between tough workouts is what they recommend in "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living".
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-13, 22:32
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Phinney/Volek (low carb researchers) warn against doing too much aerobics. It can lower your resting metabolic rate by as much as 15%. Yuck! Who wants to burn 15% fewer calories? Keep the workouts short and have a day or two of lay off between tough workouts is what they recommend in "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living".

Great point. No gym today and going to ease up on that aerobics... why would I want to burn less. Love weights right now.
TY
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-13, 11:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/236/215 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
One thing - KBs are high intensity and whole body, so if you want to maximize fat loss, you have to keep the workouts short, like under 20 minutes. A whole hour of it would just burn sugar and protein (not as much fat). Not sure if you care what kind of calories you're burning - but if you want it to be stored fat, keep the session short if intensity is high and it's whole body.

Here's a neat article about this.

article about fat burning, intensity, and whole body

100% Correct! Have been attending the Warrior Conditioning classes at my Dojo and we use KB's. Quite a few of the workouts are modeled after crossfit routines. Not being all that coordinated some of the moves are hard for me to get down at first but I would recommend pushing through them and doing your best. In the end it will work out and you will feel great.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-13, 11:46

Plan: Peter Attia
Stats: 170/170/155 Male 67"
BF:
Progress:

Hi, new here but thought I'd weigh in(!).

If'n I were you, I'd grab a 24 or 35 pound KB and do the workout at home. Once you've got some movements, just throw out a number or a time and try to hit it.

For instance, today you'll do 100 KB swings, as fast as possible. Tomorrow, 10 swings, 10 goblet squats, 10 turkish get-ups, repeat 3 times. Next day, sumo deadlift high pulls for 10 minutes.

Look to YouTube for movements and form.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-13, 19:45
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagartixa
Hi, new here but thought I'd weigh in(!).

If'n I were you, I'd grab a 24 or 35 pound KB and do the workout at home. Once you've got some movements, just throw out a number or a time and try to hit it.

For instance, today you'll do 100 KB swings, as fast as possible. Tomorrow, 10 swings, 10 goblet squats, 10 turkish get-ups, repeat 3 times. Next day, sumo deadlift high pulls for 10 minutes.

Look to YouTube for movements and form.

Hi

Thanks so much. Really appreciate feedback. I did 45 swings the other day and then just overhead presses with some squatting. Not too much though. Some lady just told me that my legs look tooo muscular Whatever, I can't worry about it.

I also think I need to prob up my food intake if I am going to incorporate more kb in my life. They burn alot of calories. Tomorrow, I think I will try another class and see if I can remember the moves again. I am not motivated when I do it at the gym. However, maybe if I buy one and do at home, I will feel more into it.

Do you use kb alot?