Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 08:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/212/160 Female 5 ft.
BF:
Progress: 36%

Becky, I'm sorry to hear what your DH went thru. Our son was bitten by a stray cat when he was 4yo. Emergency room didn't treat it properly and he ended up in the hospital. Had to have the wound cleaned out. Sent the sample out to find out what antibiotic was needed to heal it. He ended up with a deformed thumb. Cat bites are serious!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 10:06

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

Aha!! I found you. Thanks, Lois, for taking care of us.
And a happy hello to everyone.

I know I've been delinquent about posting in the last month or so, but I really don't have anything scintillating to say. I do keep up with you all, though.

Becky, I think I asked you before, but I don't recall an answer. Do you speak Spanish? Since you follow our thread, you probably know that I'm trying to learn to speak. I'm really coming along quite well, and I love learning the language.

Anyway, folks, that's how I've been spending my time -- studying Spanish. It really requires time and effort. I read, I listen to CDs, I do workbooks, and I just love all of it. Bambi, how are you doing with your Italian.

Liz, you are so busy, I don't know how you manage to be so prolific in writing posts here. JanJ, you keep very busy, too. And Lois, you know that I always support you in your quest. Nice to hear from you, Joy.

A happy hi also to Blue, Lab, Serea, all the Jan’s, and anyone else who is lurking.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 12:22
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

I speak Mexican Spanish. Of course I learned perfect Spanish in school that nobody on this planet speaks.......The Panamanians speak their own version. It took me a long time to be able to understand, and still have trouble every now and then.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 06:41

Stats: 236/160/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Morning everyone.

Sherri, my Italian went by the wayside, when had to deal with so much going on But, I just began it again. Started from the beginning, ordered a couple of workbooks, and even started making note cards! I am excited about it.

Becky, wow, glad he is doing better!

See a couple of weddings happened. Neat. Crazy at times but I love weddings.

Nice and hot today but can feel the difference in the air. Nights and mornings are a little cooler, even though the days are warm to hot.

Everything has taken much longer to get done than hubby and I thought. The deck is just getting finished and we remodeled one of the bathrooms and that is just getting finished. Guess cuz we are older, the energy runs out faster than before. Someday will post photos.

Really don't know why I ever thought all this remodeling would be fun. I just find it exhausting. I like the results but the process is a pain in the ass. Hubby and I are living at Home Depot. Not enough of something or the wrong size of something else, or warped boards delivered, or something lost and absolutely needed. AHHH!

And there is so much left to do. Had a few unexpected expenses like the water heater breaking down, and pipes under the house were cracked and needed to be replaced. Oh and lets not forget the electrical needed work. So expensive!

The pipes really ticked me off. Should have been caught in the house inspection. If we ever buy again am getting my own plumber, electrician and contractor to check everything out. We probably wouldn't have bought this house if things had been disclosed and should have been if the inspector had been worth his salt...

Things settling down nicely. Don't know if you are interested but DS2 was accepted into a nursing program! Girlfriend kicked out and he is a new person! Or should I say the person I always knew. He is not talking about it but he hasn't seen her in 3 weeks. Believe he broke up with her or her him but he is back to being kind, caring and helpful.

No longer being treated like the enemy. He is seeing his friends again, talking to his brother, bro's gf, hubby and me. Like a transformation. We all are kind of shell shocked from it all. I am thanking God everyday but only now am believing the change.

I, in no way, believe everything is hunky dory but am grateful that the girl is gone. Things need to be addressed but am giving it time to heal. I have so many questions I would like to ask him, especially if he learned anything from this fiasco but won't. I am hoping he at least learned that someone so divisive is a cancer that needs to be cut out. That he deserves to be treated better.

If it had just been me, I would have thought I really needed help. But hubby, his friends, brother and his gf, even the neighbor were appalled by this girl.

I have only met a couple of people in my whole life who were this bad. Truly. Someone who presents well but has this whole agenda going on to get his/her way. And does not care who or how it affects anyone, as long as the results are gotten that was wanted.

I think she saw someone very vulnerable, kind and insecure with my son. She knew a lot of psychology and how to use it to turn everything into why things were his fault. I know that more than once I heard her tell him how lucky he was to have her, how she could help him. She even told me once that maybe I needed to go through her to talk to him, since he didn't communicate well. That didn't go over very well with me, as you might imagine....And you can bet I let her know that...

My list is long on the things that made me crazy. I talked with therapist. Presented only facts. Really wanted to know if it was me. Was I just dominating? Over controlling? I needed the truth.

Although fearful, I wanted the truth. I was ready to tackle it head on. I have to say it was totally reassuring to hear that she thought the girl was a sociopath and emotionally abusive.

Hubby and I also think that DS2 needed us to boot her. He needs to get some strength but he was in over his head and just didn't know how to deal with it. I think she got him to doubt himself so much that he didn't know which way to turn.

I have some resources for him, when he is ready. His confidence has already risen. I think getting into this nursing program has given him a new lease on life.

For someone who was told over and over that he couldn't communicate (by her), who became someone who couldn't communicate, he is talking up a storm.

So things are better. For the first time, I truly feel like I have some peace. I didn't come home to a home of peace, I came home to a warzone. I believe it is now over.

I learned a lot.

Now I need to get back on track. Like you Lois, I saw a low weight, 158 for me and I want to get back there. Would love to see 140 but 155 would just be "tickety boo. "

That's my goal and I'm sticking to it.....

Happy Wednesday!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 06:42

Plan: Primal/Paleo Atkins
Stats: 197.5/126/132 Female 63
BF:19.4%
Progress: 109%

Oh Becky, what a trial for you and your husband. I'm so glad that he is healing now.

Lois - glad you are back on the straight and narrow. Me too!

Liz - that sounds like a fun wedding. Why is it though that motorcyclists don't seem to realize how much noise they make for the rest of us?

I'm off to the gym this AM, then to Mom's. I'm in the midst of planning her 99th birthday party for early September. I've thus far kept it a secret but am starting to think that maybe a surprise might now be the best idea.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 07:52
Keto Lab Rat

Plan: Low carb...WB detox...IF
Stats: 240/201.8/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:The Lab Rats :-)
Progress: 42%

Good morning!!

Bambi I'm so glad things are finally getting sorted out with your son. It was a trial but you, he, and the rest of the family have found your way back and that's what counts. I would keep the eyes open less she try to sneak back in but hopefully she has moved on. Someday she will meet her match cause what goes around comes around eventually. I really believe that.

Janj I wish you the best of luck on keeping it a secret. Some how those surprise birthdays never work for me. But 99!? How awesome is that!?!?

I am cleaning carpets this morning.....which means I will be spending most of my day in the kitchen while they dry. It's gonna be a reading day for sure!

Happy Hump Day!! ;-)
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 09:32

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good morning

It is cold out !!! heavens it is only 60 degrees....someone flipped the calendar page to October I think.

We have been on the trot a whole lot the past three weeks. Races, football games, hockey tryouts, and house hunting etc with grandson.

I was in real estate years ago and since then have helped family when it comes to buying and selling...we found a great little home for grandson and the offer was accepted. It is right next door to my granddaughters house that her family bought and fixed up like a real doll house. Then son #2 and wife closed on their house at the beginning of the month...so that meant a few trips (it is about an hours drive away) to ooh and aww and offer suggestions for renos that he wants to do.

You all are so busy, I really cannot keep up...just hope that you all are having a nice summer.

Off to the roadside stands to get some more peaches to freeze in portion containers. I also got some late strawberries that where soooo good and I am hoping that they still have them. Pricey at 5 $ a quart but they where worth it.

Have a good day....
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 11:39
Keto Lab Rat

Carpets are done and drying......wheeewwww!!!

Serea its so nice that the family can turn to you for experienced advice on real estate. $5/qt doesn't seem all that much considering they are fresh picked locally. Mom went to the berry farm a couple of weeks ago for saskatoons and paid $5/gallon....and she had to pick them! But then, she really does enjoy picking berries.....me?....not so much.

Lunch and curl up in my chair (in the kitchen) and read. I have two de-humidifyers and a large fan going so hopefully we can move the desk and couch back tonight and I can get that small strip done.

Later gators.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 14:18

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63 inches
BF:

Oh I know that 5 $ for something nice and fresh and local is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things but we are used to paying 2.50 in the regular berry season...so I was whining . Saskatoons !!! oh my how I loved them.....we used to get our fill when we grew up in Kenora. I have only had them a couple of times since. Those and wild blueberries. We used to sit out in the bush in a patch and eat more than we ever brought home. Mom made blueberry everything!

Jan...loved your story about the wedding....and yes, I would like to know why cars are regulated as to how much noise they can make while some motorcycles blast your ear drums. There is no need for that.

Went out with sister and hit a warehouse that sells top name brand shoes for about half price and came home with two pairs that I have been lusting over but refused to pay the price at regular stores. One is a pair of Converse furry lined running shoes in a brown suede that I got half price for 45 $ and a pair of Propet walking shoes that were 59 $. They were 30 $ off their price and 50 $ cheaper than what is listed in the Sears catalogue. Love good deals.

Jan...that is so special that you can plan a 99th birthday party for your Mom... my Mom is 94 this year and still going strong so I hope that in 5 years we are planning her 99 th. So wonderful.

Off to recharge my batteries for a 1/2 hour or so...

Last edited by serea~ : Wed, Aug-14-13 at 22:08.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-13, 07:51
Keto Lab Rat

Good morning!

Serea, good deal on them shoes woman!

Carpets still feel a little damp but the humidity is soooo high outside it's not much wonder.

Dr. appointment at 9:00 to get meds renewed and then off to Estevan for groceries and have lunch with Abbie. Ron has a "designated day off" tomorrow and the weather looks excellent for golf. I'm hoping Sears phones today that my new vertical blinds are in. The rod is 120" so Ron will bring them home in his company truck if they're in.....fingers crossed....

Have a lovely day all!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-13, 09:19

Been cold here too, Serea. Feels like October weather as you said. It amazes me how alike our weather patterns seem to be. If we are moving into a cold phase, I might have to move in w/Becky.

Great buys on those shoes! I love a sale. In fact, I rarely buy things that aren't on sale. Back in April I bought a winter coat that I actually didn't need -- but it was very stylish and a great shade of purple. $130 marked down to $26 and I had a 20% off coupon. Love it when that happens!

I got the birthday party caterer booked this AM and that is a relief! I've got so much on my calendar right now that I'm feeling a bit disjointed.

I bet your rugs will be dry by the time you return Lois. Fingers crossed on both the blinds arrival and nice weather for golf.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-13, 12:02
Keto Lab Rat

It was really cool and misty this morning but the sun finally burned that off and its starting to warm up. Tomorrow and the weekend are looking really good....high 20's to low 30's. (75-80). Finally some decent summer temps.

No word on the blinds yet.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-13, 08:51

Plan: lc
Stats: 236/-/150 Female 68"
BF:of course

TGIF!
Blue did not make it over to the new home (lab) Maybe this weekend?

I've been doing well with my severely restricted eating. Down 37 pounds since early June. Only one size, but at least I'm still shopping in my own closet for now. I'm getting to the 2 month post op point next week and that means I can have both caffeine and alcohol. I'm a little worried about the latter as it goes straight into the system and I'm looking forward to finding out how that works a little too much for comfort. I decided work is my primary stressor and since I need to work I also need to find better ways (not food and alcohol related) to handle that. Meditation or exercise come to mind but I have never been great at either. Another lifestyle change before I turn 60? is there time? it is only 6 weeks away!
Hope you all have a great weekend, back to lurking now
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-13, 09:59

Good morning!

JanD - I do recommend exercise. Never thought I'd say that. But here are my thoughts: When I was losing weight, I was completely fixated on the scale. Getting that # to move was, perhaps, an unhealthy obsession. I was not exercising and now believe I lost muscle as well as fat during that time. About a year ago I started working out 3x a week at the gym -- nothing extreme -- mainly dumbbell exercises and a few machines. My goal was not necessarily to lose more #s but to exchange fat for muscle. I have slowly seen some significant body recomposition -- I'm aware of muscles I wasn't aware of b/f and "soft" parts are "hardening up". I also think it has affected my clothing size -- last week my visiting daughter told me that my size 8 jeans were too big, and that I should get a 6 or maybe even a 4. A 4? When I started these life changes a size 10 (the size I wore briefly in my 20s) was my impossible goal.

I also think it has been good for my skin, I'm more mellow and definitely sleep better.

Do I love exercise? No. But I love the results. And, hey, I'm way older than you, so yes, there is time for a lifestyle change.

Just got back from the gym in fact and now must change for a day out with DH. Going to the Visionary Art Museum at Baltimore Harbor and a late lunch out.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-13, 10:39
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Just popping in to say I'm still alive. Been real busy this summer with my brother in from Seattle, stuff for Mom in San Antonio, and my website is really keeping me busy. Traffic there has really jumped this year, 2,000 hits a day most days, sometimes less, sometimes double that. Have to pop in there many times a day to answer questions on recipes.

A little more weight loss. I'm down to 165 presently. Hoping to reach goal of 150 this year, but am resigned to the fact I may not. SIGH. I just keep pluggin' along eating like I should.

You folks post so prolifically, I just can't keep up anymore. But hope all are doing well and losing, however slow or fast that might be.
Closed Thread