Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-13, 07:43
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Hmmm...I don't think those two ingredients really work in the same capacity Nancy. Whey is more of a flour sub and gives bulk and flavor as well. Gluc is only a texture enhancing element. Coconut flour (maybe 2 T.) might work, as it will give the bulk, but will perhaps impart a slight coconut taste to the end product.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-13, 09:23

Plan: Atkins/Primal
Stats: 189/161/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
Hmmm...I don't think those two ingredients really work in the same capacity Nancy. Whey is more of a flour sub and gives bulk and flavor as well. Gluc is only a texture enhancing element. Coconut flour (maybe 2 T.) might work, as it will give the bulk, but will perhaps impart a slight coconut taste to the end product.

I'll try both variations (extra almond flour/coconut flour) this weekend after I get into town tomorrow for groceries. I'll have to get some Monterey jack and try to find some golden flax seed. The last time I looked they only carried the darker type, which I have lots of in the fridge.

Do you think the flavour would be that much different if I used that?

In any case, I'll let you ladies know how it turns out!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-13, 10:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't usually end up tasting coconut when I use coconut flour, especially in something heavily spiced.

I think the whey gives a bit of glue-like texture to things, slightly replacing gluten in wheat. That's why I was thinking glucomanan might work.

However, xanthan gum is something that is often used to replace gluten. I had a chart about how much xanthan to use when baking. It was a lot more than I'd ever thought. I would think about 1 - 1.5 tsp would be right.

http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/xant...m-how-much-use/
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-13, 14:14
Patience Personified

Flavor will be a wee bit "grainier"/"nuttier" with the darker flax meal but not a GREAT difference, really. I made a batch with more dark meal yesterday because I was running out of the golden. It's still pretty good, but I do prefer the golden in most of my breads.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-13, 14:23
Patience Personified

Deezil, flavor will be a wee bit "grainier"/"nuttier" with the darker flax meal but not a GREAT difference, really. I happened to make a batch with mostly dark flax meal yesterday because I was ran out of the golden. It's still pretty good, but I do prefer the golden in this and most of my breads.

Nancy, I didn't say that very well. The gluc WOULD work, and the amount you indicated would be about right, and you'll get the elasticity you want to retain. But I think you'd also have to add in around 3T. coconut flour to sub in for the added bulk of the 1/4 c. whey protein you were eliminating. That's more precisely what I meant to say.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 12:51
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 197/197/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow! Awesome recipe! I'm on South Beach, but I've been gluten free long before the craze hit, because of health issues.

Thanks! This recipe is even perfect for phase 1 of South Beach. I can't wait to try it!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 07:21
Patience Personified

Hope you like it, Rainbow!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 07:51
Registered Member

BF:

I just want to thank you so much for this recipe. I have gluten sensitivity and used to go on your blog and feel bad that I couldn't make your wonderful recipes that contained gluten. No more! I look forward to more of your recipes.

I am on South Beach and have the new South Beach Gluten Solution book. I am reading all I can about gluten intolerance!

Keep up the great recipes!

Last edited by rainbow53 : Fri, May-10-13 at 08:42. Reason: change wording
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 12:01
Patience Personified

If you're gluten-free you should check out Jennifer Eloff's website Splendid Low-Carbing with Jennifer Eloff. http://www.low-carb-news.blogspot.com/ Her husband and sons are gluten-free and she has been creating gluten-free wonders for some years now. And she is QUITE a good baker!!! She unabashedly admits to having a deadly sweet tooth. Her desserts are fantabulous! And she has lots of GF bread recipes there as she has been low-carbing much longer than I have. I LOVE her GF Bake Mix as I've used it a lot and gotten very nice results. She has 6-7 bake mixes now, but not all of them are GF.

Me and my husband aren't gluten-free, so you'll find breads and cakes on my site that are both GF and non-GF.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 14:46
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the reference!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 12:01
Patience Personified

Default Gluten-Free Grain-Free Sandwich Buns

I no longer eat wheat flour so my bread recipes with Carbquick are off the table for me. This is my solution for a sandwich bun. It is now my go-to sandwich bread. I’m most pleased with this bread and finding the batter very versatile. This bun recipe is yet another used of my newest GF focaccia bread batter. This bread has a very neutral flavor, a nice elasticity, nice top and bottom crust, is not crumbly and has a wonderful taste. I enjoyed a piece hot from the oven with butter and it was amazing! It makes GREAT sandwiches! No strong flax taste to drown out the sandwich filling! Very neutral in flavor. This recipe is OK once you reach Phase 2 OWL of Atkins. It would be OK for Primal folks occasionally, but not suitable for Paleo.

INGREDIENTS:

½ c. almond flour
¼ c. golden flax meal
¼ c. unflavored, unsweetened whey protein powder
1 tsp. baking powder
3 T. cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs, beaten
1 c. grated Monterrey Jack cheese
½ c. grated Mozzarella cheese (or ½ c. more Jack cheese)
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1 T. heavy cream
1 T. water

OPTIONAL: Spices of your choosing (or cinnamon/sweetener) sprinkled on top before baking.

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Soften cream cheese in medium mixing bowl in microwave. Beat in the eggs, cream, water, vinegar and both cheeses. Measure and add in all the dry ingredients and stir well with a rubber spatula. Line a sheet pan either with parchment paper or silicone sheet. Dip the batter onto the prepared pan in 9 equal piles (I used a ¼ c. measuring cup). Spread it out into round bun shapes as evenly as possible with your rubber spatula or the back or a spoon. Batter will be about ¼” thick. Sprinkle on spices if using any. Pop buns into 350º oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until done to the touch in the center and lightly browned around the edges. Cool a few minutes and cut evenly into 9 “slices. When totally cool, store in plastic bag in refrigerator.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 9 large pieces, each contains: These can be sliced laterally, but the info below is for 1 whole piece.

149 calories
11.5 g fat
3.5 g carbs, 2.1 g fiber, 1.4 g NET CARBS
10.1 g protein
204 mg sodium
65 mg potassium
12% RDA Vitamin B12, 10% calcium, 18% phosphorous, 10% selenium.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, May-12-13, 12:03
Patience Personified

Here's what the version with cinnamon/sweetener sprinkled on top before baking looks like:
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-13, 13:13
Patience Personified

Default BBQ "Dogs"

Surely these are not what you were picturing when you read the title LOL:

If you're like us, when you BBQ a big piece of brisket, like we did a few days ago, there’s always a lot leftover (there are just two of us). This time, I chopped about 1# of the leftover meat and added a few tablespoons of my low-carb BBQ sauce, with the intention of having convenient meat in the fridge for some sandwiches throughout the week. I knew I needed to bake some low-carb bread today as I was down to my last piece. Then when I started stirring all those ingredients up in my mixing bowl this finger-food idea just popped into my head. Using my protein bar silicone baking pan (but you could use a regular muffin pan), I formed the tastiest little treats! These would be great for parties, great snacks or even several for a grab-and-go lunch! They’re low in carbs, too! I have started adding 1 tsp. yeast dissolved in 1 T. warm water to my bread batter, not for rise, but for flavor. You can omit that, but it will only lower net carbs by .13 g, so why not go ahead and add it for that touch of yeast flavor? These are suitable once you get to the nuts level of Atkins Phase 2 (OWL).

INGREDIENTS:

1 recipe my gluten-free grain-free focaccia bread: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2013/0...focaccia-bread/

12 oz. leftover chopped BBQ beef (I used grass-fed brisket)

¼ c. low-carb BBQ sauce (Mine has 1.5 net carbs per tablespoon)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Make up the bread recipe per that recipe’s instructions. If you like, you could add a little onion powder to the batter, or finely minced green onion, but be sure to add in those carbs if you do! Toss the chopped beef with the ¼ c. BBQ sauce. If not using silicone pans, grease them well to prevent sticking. Dip up about 2 tsp. batter into each of your pan’s 12 slots. This should take about half the batter. Using a spoon or fork, spread it evenly on the bottom of the form. Next dip 1 oz (about 1 Tbsp.) chopped beef mixture onto the batter. Gently spread the meat evenly. Finally, spoon the remaining batter on top of the meat in each slot (about 2 tsp.). Again, with the back of a spoon, spread that batter carefully and as evenly as possible. You want to completely cover the meat as best you can. There will barely be enough batter to complete the job, so it is important you measure the bottom and top batter as suggested to avoid running out before all 12 “dogs” are “constructed”. Place silicone pan on a sheet for support and pop into 350º oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned as shown. ENJOY! Below is a pic of the silicone pan I used:

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 “dogs”, each contains: (calculated with yeast added to the bread)

193 calories
13.3 g fat
2.71 g carbs, 1.05 g fiber, 1.66 g NET CARBS
15.7 g protein
145 mg sodium
68 mg potassium
95% RDA Vitamin B12, 30% iron, 13% calcium, 13% copper, 19% riboflavin, 36% phosphorous, 56% zinc
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-13, 07:06
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Looks great, thanks
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-13, 09:39

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches