Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-13, 21:32

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Bacteria in the Intestines May Help Tip the Bathroom Scale, Studies Show

Quote:
The bacterial makeup of the intestines may help determine whether people gain weight or lose it, according to two new studies, one in humans and one in mice.

The research also suggests that a popular weight-loss operation, gastric bypass, which shrinks the stomach and rearranges the intestines, seems to work in part by shifting the balance of bacteria in the digestive tract. People who have the surgery generally lose 65 percent to 75 percent of their excess weight, but scientists have not fully understood why. Now, the researchers are saying that bacterial changes may account for 20 percent of the weight loss.

The findings mean that eventually, treatments that adjust the microbe levels, or “microbiota,” in the gut may be developed to help people lose weight without surgery, said Dr. Lee M. Kaplan, director of the obesity, metabolism and nutrition institute at the Massachusetts General Hospital, and an author of a study published Wednesday in Science Translational Medicine.

Not everyone who hopes to lose weight wants or needs surgery to do it, he said. About 80 million people in the United States are obese, but only 200,000 a year have bariatric operations.

“There is a need for other therapies,” Dr. Kaplan said. “In no way is manipulating the microbiota going to mimic all the myriad effects of gastric bypass. But if this could produce 20 percent of the effects of surgery, it will still be valuable.”

In people, microbial cells outnumber human ones, and the new studies reflect a growing awareness of the crucial role played by the trillions of bacteria and other microorganisms that live in their own ecosystem in the gut. Perturbations there can have profound and sometimes devastating effects.

One example is infection with a bacterium called C. difficile, which sometimes takes hold in people receiving antibiotics for other illnesses. The drugs can wipe out other organisms that would normally keep C. difficile in check. Severe cases can be life-threatening, and the medical profession is gradually coming to accept the somewhat startling idea that sometimes the best therapy is a fecal transplant — from a healthy person to the one who is sick, to replenish the population of “good germs.”

Dr. Kaplan said his group’s experiments were the first to try to find out if microbial changes could account for some of the weight loss after gastric bypass. Earlier studies had shown that the microbiota of an obese person changed significantly after the surgery, becoming more like that of someone who was thin. But was the change from the surgery itself, or from the weight loss that followed the operation? And did the microbial change have any effects of its own?

Because it would be difficult and time-consuming to study these questions in people, the researchers used mice, which they had fattened up with a rich diet. One group had gastric bypass operations, and two other groups had “sham” operations in which the animals’ intestines were severed and sewn back together. The point was to find out whether just being cut open, without having the bypass, would have an effect on weight or gut bacteria. One sham group was kept on the rich food, while the other was put on a weight-loss diet.

In the bypass mice, the microbial populations quickly changed, and the mice lost weight. In the sham group, the microbiota did not change much — even in those on the weight-loss diet.

Next, the researchers transferred intestinal contents from each of the groups into other mice, which lacked their own intestinal bacteria. The animals that received material from the bypass mice rapidly lost weight; stool from mice that had the sham operations had no effect.

Exactly how the altered intestinal bacteria might cause weight loss is not yet known, the researchers said. But somehow the microbes seem to rev up metabolism so that the animals burn off more energy.

A next step, Dr. Kaplan said, may be to take stool from people who have had gastric bypass and implant it into mice to see if causes them to lose weight. Then the same thing could be tried from person to person.

“In addition, we’ve identified four subsets of bacteria that seem to be most specifically enhanced by the bypass,” Dr. Kaplan said. “Another approach would be to see if any or all of those individual bacteria could mediate the effects, rather than having to transfer stool.”

A second study by a different group found that overweight people may be more likely to harbor a certain type of intestinal microbe. The microbes may contribute to weight gain by helping other organisms to digest certain nutrients, making more calories available. That study was published Tuesday in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

The study involved 792 people who had their breath analyzed to help diagnose digestive orders. They agreed to let researchers measure the levels of hydrogen and methane; elevated levels indicate the presence of a microbe called Methanobrevibacter smithii. The people with the highest readings on the breath test were more likely to be heavier and have more body fat, and the researchers suspect that the microbes may be at least partly responsible for their obesity.

This type of organism may have been useful thousands of years ago, when people ate more roughage and needed all the help they could get to squeeze every last calorie out of their food. But modern diets are much richer, said an author of the study, Dr. Ruchi Mathur, director of the diabetes outpatient clinic at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

“Our external environment is changing faster than our internal one,” Dr. Mathur said. Studies are under way, she said, to find out whether getting rid of this particular microbe will help people lose weight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/h...=me&ref=general

Some of the comments are very interesting.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-13, 07:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, sign me up for a fecal transplant!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-13, 10:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Chris Kresser mentioned a clinical trial of fecal bacteriotherapy for C. diff patients in a recent podcast, and he said the results were remarkable (researcher codeword for amazing). He's hopeful that this treatment will become mainstream for C. diff cases in the next 10 years.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-13, 11:08
Experimenter

BF:

I wouldn't be surprised to see ND's offering it long before it shows up as a mainstream therapy.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-13, 21:23

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 172/158/132 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

There's a lot of information about fecal transplant out there if you look for it -- a lot of really positive information! -- and a lot of research pointing to just how important gut microbiota are in regards to health.

I have a friend who runs a site called "The Power of Poo" with heaps of info
http://thepowerofpoo.blogspot.com.au/
I believe she'll soon be a launching a much more powerful version of the site with a lot more info and articles from people in the know and in the field. She also has a Facebook group which you can join to talk to likeminded people. There's some really interesting conversation on there! (Don't worry, it's a private group, so your friends won't know you're talking about poo.)

There's a clinic in Sydney (Australia) that's been doing fecal transplants for something like 15 years and is considered one of the leaders in the field. There's another one in the UK that's also been at it for many years, and there's also several doctors in the US that offer it and have done for many years. I don't have the links on hand but they should be on that site or in that group. Unfortunately it's not covered by any health scheme so it's really pricey to get it done in a clinic at the moment. As a result, there's a lot of people who actually do it at home - the Sydney clinic even offers information about this to help people so that they can do it properly!

Quote:
"There is a need for other therapies," Dr. Kaplan said. "In no way is manipulating the microbiota going to mimic all the myriad effects of gastric bypass."

The myriad effects of gastric bypass, like rapidly deteriorating health for the rest of your shortened life? :P I'll take someone's poo up my butt over letting a doctor chop up my stomach any day!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-13, 12:18
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I'll take someone's poo up my butt over letting a doctor chop up my stomach any day!

LOL! That was worth quoting just to see it again.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-13, 13:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karhys
The myriad effects of gastric bypass, like rapidly deteriorating health for the rest of your shortened life? :P I'll take someone's poo up my butt over letting a doctor chop up my stomach any day!

The idea of gastric bypass scares the sh*t out of me, so maybe that's when the transplant is appropriate.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-13, 20:13

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

"Fecal transplant" therapy needs a nicer-sounding name, like "biotic enrichment". Then everyone would want some.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-13, 20:18
Experimenter

BF:

LOL! Good point, Deirdra! Biome regenerative therapy.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-13, 20:37

BF:

Complete Replacement of Alimentary Probiotics.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-13, 21:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/186/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver
Complete Replacement of Alimentary Probiotics.

And it's acronym - C.R.A.P!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-13, 21:18

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamama
And it's acronym - C.R.A.P!

Perfect. Can you get it copyrighted?