Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-13, 08:30

Plan: Just eating low-carb
Stats: 146.6/135.6/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Here's A Chance to Talk Back to the Ignorant

Read the article (link below). And even better, read all the posts below REBUTTING the article. Then, if you have something to add, talk back to the authors.

As Dr. William Davis says:"Don’t hold back: Go to their site and post a comment. Let them know what you really think!"

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...ow-201302205916

The articles is titled "Going gluten-free just because? Here’s what you need to know" ... and is written by Holly Strawbridge, Executive Editor, Harvard Heart Letter .... she is another person who is perpetuating the ignorance that prevails among healthcare providers today....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-13, 10:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Her strongest argument amounts to, "better keep the masses eating wheat so we can fortify it." I say let them eat vitamins. Better yet, much better yet, let them eat a diet that doesn't require supplementation.

Her other argument is fiber, which can easily be gotten elsewhere.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-13, 10:30

Plan: Just eating low-carb
Stats: 146.6/135.6/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Yes, and what I find most offensive (besides her bad dietary advice) is this statement ... "keep your dietary choice to yourself." Wow... where do you begin... this condescending, patronizing superiority is so off-putting, I want to spit! So she thinks her readers are children?!?

Sheeeeesh....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-13, 10:40

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I hope Harvard Medical School takes note of the comments, nearly 200 of them, and considers teaching their students about the harmful nature of grains. Now wouldn't that be something....doctors with some current nutritional education to add to their arsenal of pills, potions, knives and hi tech machinery.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-13, 11:21

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%
Progress: 100%

Just thought of a funny...

I'll keep my diet choice to myself when you people stop telling me to eat stuff that is trying to kill me.

Not that I would ever be so indiscreet, but tempting....
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-13, 12:48

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

About fiber: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=450912 And that's that for fiber.

About deficiencies? Hm, the whole point of fortification of staple foods was to ensure a larger population would benefit from the fortification, not from the staple foods that were fortified. It's even possible that some of those staple foods were the cause for the need for fortification in the first place. Take phytic acid found in wheat flour for example, which is most likely not very good for us, but could also contribute to some deficiencies. Gluten is just another problem with wheat.

About consulting a doctor before going gluten-free? Nope. Just cut the wheat and see what gives. THEN consult your doctor. Rather, THEN go tell your doctor how much better you feel. Rather rather, consult your doctor if you want to: Add more fiber to your diet; eat more carbs; eat less fat; drink more juice; eat less meat; drink more wine; eat more fruits;...

Doesn't make sense to go gluten-free to "lose weight, boost energy, treat autism, or generally feel healthier."? What. The. Hell.

I don't understand the argument in this paragraph below. Anybody else?
Quote:
There’s one more thing you might consider doing: keep your dietary choice to yourself. The more than 300,000-plus people in this country with celiac disease have to follow a gluten-free diet, because the tiniest taste of gluten will trigger debilitating gastrointestinal discomfort. It’s time consuming, expensive, and restrictive. “It’s a gigantic burden for those who have to follow it,” says Dr. Leffler. “They get frustrated when they hear how wonderful this diet is.”

It's time-consuming and expensive and restrictive only if you choose "gluten-free" substitutes. Otherwise, it's all good. Rather, now that you cut out wheat, you can eat actual food that actually feeds you instead of making you sick. It sounds like a false dilemma argument. Either eat gluten, or eat gluten-free substitutes. That's not the only choices. We can also eat stuff that doesn't contain any wheat whatsoever. It's not like wheat is the only thing we can eat.

HeartHealthyWholeGrains! Hm, how about HeartHealthyRealFood.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-13, 16:32

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

What is the RDA for gluten? or wheat? or any grain?

ZERO
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-13, 16:43

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
There’s one more thing you might consider doing: keep your dietary choice to yourself. The more than 300,000-plus people in this country with celiac disease have to follow a gluten-free diet, because the tiniest taste of gluten will trigger debilitating gastrointestinal discomfort. It’s time consuming, expensive, and restrictive. “It’s a gigantic burden for those who have to follow it,” says Dr. Leffler. “They get frustrated when they hear how wonderful this diet is.”

I'd say this is just hearsay.

And... if you're forced to eat a certain way, what's better? People tsk-tsking in sympathy because you're so bloodY deprived, or people raving about how awesome not eating wheat is? The popularity of the gluten free diet means it's easier to find bread substitutes--I'd say that's a down side, rice bread is no prize--but at least you can find bologna etc that's gluten free--sometimes even the mainstream stuff, so you're not forced to pay a premium.