Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 08:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default It's The Sugar, Folks

Mark Bittman of the NYT Opinionator summarizes a new study on sugar and rates of diabetes, starting and concluding by echoing Lustig, Sugar is Indeed Toxic

Quote:
It’s the Sugar, Folks
By MARK BITTMAN

Sugar is indeed toxic. It may not be the only problem with the Standard American Diet, but it’s fast becoming clear that it’s the major one.

A study published in the Feb. 27 issue of the journal PLoS One links increased consumption of sugar with increased rates of diabetes by examining the data on sugar availability and the rate of diabetes in 175 countries over the past decade. And after accounting for many other factors, the researchers found that increased sugar in a population’s food supply was linked to higher diabetes rates independent of rates of obesity.

In other words, according to this study, obesity doesn’t cause diabetes: sugar does.

The study demonstrates this with the same level of confidence that linked cigarettes and lung cancer in the 1960s. As Rob Lustig, one of the study’s authors and a pediatric endocrinologist at the University of California, San Francisco, said to me, “You could not enact a real-world study that would be more conclusive than this one.”

The study controlled for poverty, urbanization, aging, obesity and physical activity. It controlled for other foods and total calories. In short, it controlled for everything controllable, and it satisfied the longstanding “Bradford Hill” criteria for what’s called medical inference of causation by linking dose (the more sugar that’s available, the more occurrences of diabetes); duration (if sugar is available longer, the prevalence of diabetes increases); directionality (not only does diabetes increase with more sugar, it decreases with less sugar); and precedence (diabetics don’t start consuming more sugar; people who consume more sugar are more likely to become diabetics).

The key point in the article is this: “Each 150 kilocalories/person/day increase in total calorie availability related to a 0.1 percent rise in diabetes prevalence (not significant), whereas a 150 kilocalories/person/day rise in sugar availability (one 12-ounce can of soft drink) was associated with a 1.1 percent rise in diabetes prevalence.” Thus: for every 12 ounces of sugar-sweetened beverage introduced per person per day into a country’s food system, the rate of diabetes goes up 1 percent. (The study found no significant difference in results between those countries that rely more heavily on high-fructose corn syrup and those that rely primarily on cane sugar.)

This is as good (or bad) as it gets, the closest thing to causation and a smoking gun that we will see. (To prove “scientific” causality you’d have to completely control the diets of thousands of people for decades. It’s as technically impossible as “proving” climate change or football-related head injuries or, for that matter, tobacco-caused cancers.) And just as tobacco companies fought, ignored, lied and obfuscated in the ’60s (and, indeed, through the ’90s), the pushers of sugar will do the same now.

But as Lustig says, “This study is proof enough that sugar is toxic. Now it’s time to do something about it.”

The next steps are obvious, logical, clear and up to the Food and Drug Administration. To fulfill its mission, the agency must respond to this information by re-evaluating the toxicity of sugar, arriving at a daily value — how much added sugar is safe? — and ideally removing fructose (the “sweet” molecule in sugar that causes the damage) from the “generally recognized as safe” list, because that’s what gives the industry license to contaminate our food supply.

On another front, two weeks ago a coalition of scientists and health advocates led by the Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the F.D.A. to both set safe limits for sugar consumption and acknowledge that added sugars, rather than lingering on the “safe” list, should be declared unsafe at the levels at which they’re typically consumed. (The F.D.A. has not yet responded to the petition.)

Allow me to summarize a couple of things that the PLoS One study clarifies. Perhaps most important, as a number of scientists have been insisting in recent years, all calories are not created equal. By definition, all calories give off the same amount of energy when burned, but your body treats sugar calories differently, and that difference is damaging.

And as Lustig lucidly wrote in “Fat Chance,” his compelling 2012 book that looked at the causes of our diet-induced health crisis, it’s become clear that obesity itself is not the cause of our dramatic upswing in chronic disease. Rather, it’s metabolic syndrome, which can strike those of “normal” weight as well as those who are obese. Metabolic syndrome is a result of insulin resistance, which appears to be a direct result of consumption of added sugars. This explains why there’s little argument from scientific quarters about the “obesity won’t kill you” studies; technically, they’re correct, because obesity is a marker for metabolic syndrome, not a cause.

The take-away: it isn’t simply overeating that can make you sick; it’s overeating sugar. We finally have the proof we need for a verdict: sugar is toxic.

A version of this article appeared in print on 02/28/2013, on page A29 of the NewYork edition with the headline: It’s The Sugar, Folks.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...-folks/?emc=rss

The Study: http://www.plosone.org/article/info...al.pone.0057873

The Diet Doctor has a Guardian article linked in his post on this study:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/surprise-...r-more-diabetes
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 09:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
In other words, according to this study, obesity doesn’t cause diabetes: sugar does.

Contrast and compare:
You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes!

I've always maintained she was wrong about this. The good news is a lot of type 2's can eat their way OUT of diabetes.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 09:43

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
And as Lustig lucidly wrote in “Fat Chance,” his compelling 2012 book that looked at the causes of our diet-induced health crisis, it’s become clear that obesity itself is not the cause of our dramatic upswing in chronic disease. Rather, it’s metabolic syndrome, which can strike those of “normal” weight as well as those who are obese. Metabolic syndrome is a result of insulin resistance, which appears to be a direct result of consumption of added sugars. This explains why there’s little argument from scientific quarters about the “obesity won’t kill you” studies; technically, they’re correct, because obesity is a marker for metabolic syndrome, not a cause.

Quoting from Bittman's article, above, I think Jenny Ruhl and Mark Bittman are saying the same thing. The point is that being overweight does not give you diabetes. Eating an excess of carbohydrates (as defined by what your body can handle) can cause diabetes to be expressed if you have the genetic background to develop it. Not everyone who is fat, even obese, will develop diabetes, and plenty of thin people will develop it (and have worse outcomes than the overweight). Not everyone who has insulin resistance will go on to diabetes either, and again I would suspect either contributing or protective genes. And I would venture that not everyone who eats a lot of sugar goes on to develop IR. Why the difference?

You can eliminate the symptoms of insulin resistance and diabetes by reducing carbs, and you will probably lose weight in the process. Simply losing weight without reducing carbs, if that is even possible, is probably not as effective in reducing IR and diabetes. But you can never really cure it - return to eating carbs and the IR will come back, and perhaps diabetes will follow.

I'm really pleased to see Bittman putting the blame on sugar consumption rather than being overweight. Now if he could only make the connection that vegan eating is (generally) higher in sugar than Paleo.

I'm a big believer in low carb eating - it's changed my life for the better. But would I be here if I'd been dealt better genes? I don't know.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 10:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Its so obvious that sugar is the reason why people get "sugar diabetes" (as it used to be called when I was a kid!!) and why they become overweight and ill.

When we were all kids, sugar was known to make you fat, rot teeth and was a nono for diabetics. we maybe sprinkled it sparingly on cereals and fruit and maybe a small spoonful in a cup of tea. We may have had an occasional chocolate bar or biscuit. Now look, its everywhere, in cereals, in ready meals, in bread......

If it were to be invented today it would be banned as a highly addictive drug that causes disfigurement, illness and death - a class A drug!! and we give it to children FFS!!!!!

Jo xxxx
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 10:06
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Quoting from Bittman's article, above, I think Jenny Ruhl and Mark Bittman are saying the same thing. The point is that being overweight does not give you diabetes. Eating an excess of carbohydrates (as defined by what your body can handle) can cause diabetes to be expressed if you have the genetic background to develop it. Not everyone who is fat, even obese, will develop diabetes, and plenty of thin people will develop it (and have worse outcomes than the overweight). Not everyone who has insulin resistance will go on to diabetes either, and again I would suspect either contributing or protective genes. And I would venture that not everyone who eats a lot of sugar goes on to develop IR. Why the difference?

Genes, baby! Genetics load the gun, diet pulls the trigger. There are probably genetic variants that make people resistant to developing diabetes. I remember Jenny made that comment that her grandmother lived on sugar and never got diabetes, as if that proved her case. It proves nothing except her grandmother probably had gotten lucky in the genetic draw.

You can't really fix a syndrome like diabetes so you can go back to ingesting what caused it to begin with. Just like you can't cure heavy metal poisoning and expect to go back to consuming arsenic again.

Jenny is correct in saying it isn't obesity, per se, that caused the diabetes. Obesity is probably nature's way of protecting you from what causes Type 2 diabetes, over consumption of sugars.

But where I believe she is wrong is in saying the diabetic didn't play a part in their diabetes. However, you can hardly blame them when all the information they're getting is so terribly wrong and there's so much ignorance about the part sugar and fructose is playing in this.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 10:14

Nancy, I think we agree on most everything but the title of her article. I think she is only trying to say that overweight does not cause diabetes. I can see how the title could be misleading if you do not read the article. But if you know Jenny Ruhl's sites, you know she is all for strict control of blood sugar, and carbohydrate restriction is a big part of that.

Don't forget we are some of the most carb-informed people out there, and know the fine points. I think her article is directed at the average Joe on the street who has just been told by his doctor to lose 20 lbs because his excess weight has made him insulin resistant or diabetic. It's not necessarily for those who already know that it is excess carbohydrates not excess weight that contribute to IR or diabetes.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 10:37
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53

I was just getting ready to write the same thing regarding the similarities, rather than differences, in what Ruhl and Bittman are saying, but Liz, you've done a wonderful job of doing so. I don't see the contrast at all. What Ruhl says (as well as Bittman) makes sense. I have watched as most of the men in my family eat junk, junk, junk and never become diabetic. They live to ripe old ages, with few health problems. The women, however, no matter what manner of eating they try in attempting to be healthy, always seem to end up with it. I may, too. I have too many signs and have been on the edge for a while. I figure that eating low carb will, at least, put it off to the point where it may never be full blown. I know there are no guarantees, but I certainly want to give it a fighting chance. Those without the genetic makeup for it, though, simply don't have to concern themselves with this, no matter what crap they choose to eat. They may get fat, but they don't get diabetic.

All that said, nowhere does Ruhl state that diet plays no role. She, in fact, points out near the end of her article that a high carb diet does, indeed, play a role in those who are genetically predisposed. Her point, though, is that eating crap and being fat are not THE causes of diabetes. And, that oversimplification is what we've seen put out there again and again. And, it is wrong.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 10:42
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

LOL, I see I'm late again. Oh, well.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 10:43
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Nancy, I think we agree on most everything but the title of her article. I think she is only trying to say that overweight does not cause diabetes. I can see how the title could be misleading if you do not read the article. But if you know Jenny Ruhl's sites, you know she is all for strict control of blood sugar, and carbohydrate restriction is a big part of that.

Don't forget we are some of the most carb-informed people out there, and know the fine points. I think her article is directed at the average Joe on the street who has just been told by his doctor to lose 20 lbs because his excess weight has made him insulin resistant or diabetic. It's not necessarily for those who already know that it is excess carbohydrates not excess weight that contribute to IR or diabetes.

I've actually debated this with her on this very forum. At that time she believed diabetes was not linked to diet at all and cited her grandmother's ability to eat sugar in massive quantities as proof. Does she still believe it? I don't know.

Also, she says obesity is rising and diabetes is not. Not sure where she got that information from. T2 diabetes is growing hugely, especially among the population segment that didn't used to experience diabetes: young people and children.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6145a4.htm

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Feb-28-13 at 10:53.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've actually debated this with her on this very forum. At that time she believed diabetes was not linked to diet at all and cited her grandmother's ability to eat sugar in massive quantities as proof. Does she still believe it? I don't know.

Ah, well you have the edge on me in that. I've never directly debated her, I've only read her various sites and find them to be extremely helpful. Do you have a link to the thread (I know that's alot to ask) -? I'd love to see her argument. I seem to have this memory that she thought she was type 2 for a long time and only later found out she was MODY...perhaps that changed her thoughts? I don't know either. I do know she has advocated a few more carbs as the years go on, but I figure that falls into the YMMV category.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 11:15
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Wed, Sep-17-08, 14:01
Nancy,

A normal person can live on sugar water and not develop any blood sugar-related health problems.

My mom is 92, has a fasting bg of 83, has eaten a high carb diet all her life, still does, and she also still has normal blood pressure.

She has some other serious problems caused by chemotherapy for a cancer caused by a known cancerogen, but she survived the cancer.

Seeing her response to her diet made me realize the extent to which carbs hurt only those of us who have underlying genetic problems. (I got mine from my dad.)

There are some good studies showing that people with normal blood sugar metabolisms lose weight just as well on high carb as low carb diets. But people with blood sugar problems DO not.

This is why the diet studies are so confusing, because they may sort out people with diabetes but never give you information about prediabetes in the group being studied. If there are a lot of truly normal people, you'll get a very different result than if there are a lot of people with prediabetes.

It took some googling skills *cracks knuckles* but I eventually figured out she posted as lottadata.

My mistake... it was her mother. Whether it is genetics, or something else (chemicals in the environment like BPA or both)... sugar water is going to push lots of us into diabetes.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/...p/t-382162.html
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 11:29

Thanks, Nancy, for digging that up. Your googling skills are undoubtedly better than my attempts.

I'm not sure that quote changes my understanding of the article you originally linked to. I'm seeing the underlying genetic "damage" as being the key to developing diabetes. You are seeing the sugar/carbs/diet. I guess I'm seeing exposure to excess sugar in our culture as a given (until some point where we become enlightened). I sense you are seeing it as less pervasive as that.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 11:40
Experimenter

BF:

I don't see it that way. I see it as those who don't develop diabetes or metabolic syndrome on a high sugar/carb diet are the outliers. You only have to follow the course of so many cultures who were introduced to a Western diet and then began developing diabetes are a terrific rate, like the Pima Indians, and you see the connection.

Certainly it was pointed out by Gary Taubes and many other.

Anyway, Jenny used to deny that connection. Perhaps she doesn't any longer. The premise that "You didn't eat your way to diabetes" just isn't true in most cases of T2. If we don't acknowledge that diet does play a part in developing it, then how do you ever start preventing it? Especially now that we're getting some very good evidence that it is.

Humans were never meant to ingest as much sugar as they currently do.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 11:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

The sugar industry is very powerful - too powerful and from their point of view and probably the governments too, its easier (and financially more viable) to plough money into the pharmaceutical industry to come up with medications to counter the issues caused by sugar!

Jo xxx
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 11:57

Plan: Ketogenic + IF
Stats: 240/194/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
The sugar industry is very powerful - too powerful and from their point of view and probably the governments too, its easier (and financially more viable) to plough money into the pharmaceutical industry to come up with medications to counter the issues caused by sugar!

Jo xxx

I think you're right, the sugar industry will plow the money into research. However, lets just hope that the perception of sugar will become so negative by the general public that by the time they finally come up with a drug that it will be too late.