Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 04:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/183/140
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Slave To The Scales

HEY YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS....
I TOO HAVE THIS COMPULSION TO WEIGH MYSELF SEVERAL TIMES A DAY.

MY SCALES ARE OLD AND IF I SHUFFLE AROUND I CAN LOSE UPTO 3LBS

YESTERDAY I PURCHASED SOME NEW DIGITAL SCALES SO I AM NOW GETTING A GENUINE READING. MUST ADJUST MY STATS TO THE CORRECT WEIGHT LOSS.

I THINK THE NOVELTY OF SEEING THE WEIGHT COMING OFF WITH EASE ON THIS LC DIET AFTER 40YRS OF SUFFERING WITH CARB ADDICTION GIVES ME SUCH A BOOST WHO CAN BLAME US FOR NEEDING REASSURANCE.

KEEP DRINKING THE WATER, AND HAVE A GOOD DAY
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 03:26

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hey Chris you are doing great, 30 pounds lost this year and almost 50% of the way there.

I'm a slave to the scales also even though I know they will not tell me good news very often.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 04:22

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/186/135
BF:
Progress: 49%
Wink MY SCALES *MUST* BE BROKEN

I WAS ON C.A.D. AND THEY TELL YOU TO WEIGH EVERY DAY, THEN AVERAGE AT THE END OF THE WEEK. THAT WAS FREAKY, BECAUSE YOU MIGHT END A WEEK UP IN WEIGHT, BUT BE DOWN ON AVERAGE, OR VICE VERSA (THAT ONE BURNED ME!).

IT IS FUNNY TO READ IN ATKINS' BOOK THAT YOU SHOULDN'T NECESSARILY WEIGH EVERY DAY. I SPENT YEARS AVOIDING IT, THEN WHEN I WENT ON C.A.D. GOT HOOKED, AND NOW CAN'T GO BACK TO ONCE A WEEK.

MY SCALES ARE BROKEN, THOUGH, I'M SURE OF IT. I *KNOW* I MUST BE *WAY* DOWN, BUT THE SCALE IS REFUSING TO ACKNOWLEDGE IT. ALSO, MY TAPE MEASURE IS ACTING FUNNY. ALTHOUGH I AM *SURE* I AM LOSING ALL THIS WEIGHT, THE MEASURMENTS DON'T GO DOWN EITHER. HEY, MAYBE MY SCALE AND TAPE MEASURE ARE IN IT TOGETHER!

THE BEST ADVICE I GOT ABOUT WEIGHING WAS TO WEIGH EVERY MORNING, AS SOON AS YOU GET UP, AFTER THE LOO, BEFORE GETTING DRESSED. I USED TO TRY AND WAIT UNTIL I HAD EMPTIED MY BODY OF EVERYTHING I POSSIBLY COULD BUT THAT COULD TAKE HOURS. NOW IT IS A ROUTINE; GET UP, PEE, WEIGH. IT TAKES SOME OF THE DESPERATION OUT OF IT (FOR ME) WHEN IT IS AN EVERYDAY, "NORMAL" SORT OF THING.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT MY WEIGHT DOES *NOT* GO DOWN DURING THE DAY, *EVER*--I DRINK TOO DERNED MUCH WATER!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 06:51
Registered Member

BF:
Default SLAVE TO THE SCALES

HI LITTLE ANN AND LOSSIEBETH

My new scales are not so kind as my old ones and in reality it works out that I have only lost 18 lbs (only !!!! I still think it's good)

The strange thing is like you Lossiebeth I feel so much smaller, especially round the thigh and buttocks. This is different from when I was at weight watcher (20yrs and never reached goal ) I always lost from the bust downwards and managed to get a very large pear shape....

I am never hungry on the Atkin's diet, this is one happy lady who's found the solution to her obesity problems....

I read in the paper yesterday that your body cannot store protein,
therefore our brain triggers when we are full. Pity I've lost the trigger for when I eat Carbs.....

Back to the scales, my compulsion will always be there (to get weighed each morning) it helps me keep focused and motivated.

Keep drinking the water ....

Your carb friend Chris

Last edited by CHRIS BRAY : Wed, May-22-02 at 04:23.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 06:55
Registered Member

BF:

Did I say Marybeth!!! please accept my apologise Lossiebeth
such an unusual name......
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 06:58
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Little Ann

Is your goal weigh 90lbs or is that a slip of the wrist when typing!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 07:16

Chris

My goal weight on my scales is 90lb. I know they weigh light, so it may be nearer 100 lb in reality. Whether I ever get there, remains to be seen. I am only 4' 6" tall and so should weight around 7 stone.

Did you know that you can easily edit your message, eg the one Mary beth/Lossiebeth by hitting the edit/delete icon at the bottom of your post. This remains active for around 48 hours.

If you then make a post you want to delete, this has to be done by an administrator, so you need to click on the notify moderator bit and then ask in the dialogue box for them to delete it for you.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 07:41
Registered Member

BF:

LittleAnn

You must put a new set of scales on your list ......

With your guidance I have edited my errors in the previous mail
Must have a short term memory span.

Happy carbing Chris carb friend.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 04:03

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/186/135
BF:
Progress: 49%
Wink MY UNUSUAL NAME

LOSSIEBETH IS MY "NOM DE PLUME" (OR SHOULD THAT BE "NOM DE WEB" )? MY NAME IS BETH, AND I LIVE IN LOSSIEMOUTH, SO IT JUST SORT OF HAPPENED WHEN TRYING TO COME UP WITH AN APPROPRIATE "E-NAME".

THE SCALES ARE STILL LYING TO ME TODAY. I AM NOT DOWN AGAIN, AND I KNOW I HAVE TO BE ACTUALLY, IN ALL SERIOUSNESS, IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE CANDIDA, AND ATKINS HIMSELF SAYS THAT CAN SLOW OR STOP WEIGHT LOSS, SO TO SORT IT OUT. THAT IS WHY I AM ON A COMBINATION OF *THREE* DIETS JUST NOW (ATKINS, ANTI-CANDIDA, GLUTEN-FREE). I TOLD MY HUSBAND, AT THE RATE I AM GOING, PRETTY SOON ALL THAT WILL HAVE LEFT THAT I CAN EAT WILL BE TUNA AND GREEN BEANS
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 04:56
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Beth

I too am having a problem with the weight loss. This last 6 weeks I have been L/C dieting with my husband. His weight is dropping off at a great rate of knotts 22lb... in total
Mine down a pound up a pound, we eat the same things ( well what do you expect, he'd starve if I didn't cook )

I am carb counting, no de-cafe only green veggies etc., I've cut down on the dairy, and calorie counted cheese. I drink gallon of water also....

Just a thought What are the symptoms of candida? That could be my problem also. I will exhaust all avenues until I find a solution.

I don't feel ill, infact I feel great. I wake up and feel like I did when I was a child. (Taking good health for granted)
I am a total convert of the low carb diet I have never felt better.
No PMT, I have clear skin, no bloating, flatulence,indigestion or disturbed nights sleep.

No having to battle with food cravings I know I will succeed
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 05:22

Arrow

Hi Chris

I'm glad you appreciate all the other benefits of low carbing. Like you I am a convert.

Annoyingly men usually loose weight quicker than women as they have more muscle etc. Not fair, but a fact of life. With regard to your own lack of progression, join the club. It may well be your age. I saw a post, I think by Fiona, recently which send that menopausal women seem to loose it very slowly. I guess you will be going through this, given you are 3 years older than me. I've just started taking HRT and hope things will balance out and I'll be loosing weight soon.

However, something to check. Are you getting enough calories? Check this out on Fitday.com. Too few can be just as bad as too many.

I hope those scales move again soon for you, me and Beth.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 06:10

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Scale Slaves

If you become a slave to the scale, you have not progressed from being a slave to numbers. Before it was calories...

remember?

We are not numbers - I know we each have goals, but improvement in quality of health/life needs to be the #1 goal!

There is no scale for that - when it happens you'll know, then you'll be successful for sure.

Give yourself a BIG present. Weigh yourself ONCE every 30 days...or even better, weigh yourself on a distanced schedule - for example, on the even months only and only on the 2nd wednesday morning of that month. Making a bit of a game about it will relieve you of the daily stress about the exact number - you'll relax and actually start LOOKING FORWARD to your weigh day! Put the scale in the closet - out of sight - and only take it out on that day. I did this when I started. It worked so well for me I actually got so involved in MY LIFE, that I FORGOT to weigh myself! Then I made a rule, that if I forgot, I couldn't weigh until the next weigh date...might work for a few.

Keep up the great work everyone!!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 06:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/124/126
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi all,

Congrats on all the weight loss so far !

The scale thing is very interesting. It is definitely a compulsive thing but I think I have managed to kick it !
At first I was weighing everyday, then I put the scales in the kitchen so I can’t weigh in the week – I get dressed before I come downstairs on a workday – so I got it to once a week !

For the last 6 weeks I have been playing with the same 2lb, on and off, so now I am weighing once a fortnight – my other half hides the scales in between ! it’s the only way to keep off them !

Beth – how do you manage on 3 diets ? good for you !!
Chris – do check your cals – I had to up mine in the beginning and still lost the weight !
Nsmith - you are so right about staying off - i find it is more encouraging to go by the fact i can get into a smaller dress size !

#14   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 07:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default “Hmmmm Menopause”

Hi L/Ann
I'm not quite sure whether I'm going through the 'Change' yet. I have been suffering with hot sweats, on a night for the last few weeks. I thought that might have been the diet. But as you say it could be the menopause that’s slowing my weight loss down. I have just registered with Fitday.com it looks quite complicated, but once I get the hang of how to work the site I will count my calories and measure the fat etc. Thanks Anne for the input,
off I go to try again…
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 07:31
Registered Member

BF:
Default “Slave to the scales”

You are so right…. I have the scales in the bathroom where they are so easy to hop on and off each morning. I will move them to another room and rely on how slack/tight my clothes are to guide me. I know I’m obsessed.
It's the first diet where I’ve been in control of my eating and managed to stay on it longer than a couple of weeks. So I get excited..

I will count the calories, I thought I might not have been eating enough LOL Me not eating enough the first time everrrrrr...

Munch Munch!!!