Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 02:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/168/133
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Quitting tomorrow

I've almost finished reading Allen Carr's book, and am fired up and ready to quit my 27 year, 30 a day habit tomorrow. I would have done it today, but my partner, Carl, is home today, and he smokes. I'd rather stop on a day when I shan't be surrounded by smoke all day, and when I can make sure there aren't any ciggies in the house - so tomorrow it is!

I know I'm going to get physical withdrawal symptoms, but I've read a few threads here, and reckon that they only last around 3-5 days. I'll probably come here ranting about them - so please keep telling me that I can get through it!

That's it, really, just wanted to make my intention public, so I'm accountable. Wish me luck! I'm actually looking forward to it....

Jo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 07:40

Plan: protein power
Stats: 265/134/120
BF:
Progress: 90%

Good Luck Jo!!!
You can do this, I smoked about 40 cigs. a day for 22 years and for 2 months no more, I went cold turkey no patch or gum, and I do think this is the best way to go....
The withdrawals are worse the first 3 days, but just keep yourself busy and before you know it the time has gone, I washed all my walls and curtains the first 3 days.
I think this might be a harder for you than it was for me, my DH has never smoked and I was the only smoker out of all my friends, so I'm so rarely around it that it is less tempting....
I chew a lot of sugar free gum this helps.
Keep us posted and the best of luck to you!!!!
You can do It!!!!!
Louise
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 08:11

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

The best of luck to you! I can't imagine a better gift to give yourself.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 12:19
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks both for the encouragement! As the day has progressed, I'm feeling more and more scared of what lies in store tomorrow - it's almost like waiting for an execution, although the truth is, it's exatly the opposite!

Carl has volunteered not to smoke in the house from now on - he's a marvel, I didn't ask him to do it, he just suggested it himself. That should make things much easier. I'm still scared, though - but the Allen Carr book talks a lot about fear, so I'll have another read of parts of it in bed tonight.

I'm planning to get on the exercise bike every time I get a craving tomorrow - so hopefully I'll be helping the weight loss as well! I've got a mental picture of sweating out the nicotine - hope it helps me!

Oh well, only another four and a half hours of being a smoker - I'm hating every cigarette I smoke at the moment - with luck I'll remember that tomorrow!

Jo
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 06:01
Registered Member

BF:
Default 13 hours into it....

Well, I'm feeling fine so far - light headed, but no real cravings, just occasional instinctual reaching for something that isn't there! This is the best I've ever felt when trying to quit, and possibly the longest I've ever lasted without some sort of replacement, like a patch.

I'm almost convinced that this is going to work this time - I almost feel giggly with delight at the prospect!

Please keep your fingers crossed or me!

Jo
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 08:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/174/168
BF:17.4%
Progress: 50%

Well, you lot have inspired me to have a go too.
The "forum" method....

Gave up alcohol in August 2000, started the AtKins diet on May 1, this year and strange as it might sound, when I smoke a fag it gives me a thumping headache.It also tastes pretty different harsher, bitter. Im not worried about overeating either on this diet plan

My Problem is that from exercising 5 days a week, running 40 mins and 1 hr weight training I have since May1, been so listless from Inducting I have no energy in the gym,in fact I have done absloultely no exercize --yikes !
I had thought it would have worn off , tried eating more cals, but the quitting will also prompt me to go to the gym and sweat out the nicotine toxins....I have always kept fit and ran the Singapore Marathon aged 40 in 4hrs.

I've smoked 20-30 a day since I was at boarding school in England when I was 14, Im now 44. Hell that's 30 years...mmmm !

I have tried to stop masses of times the most for 3 weeks in a stretch, for me it is triggered by caffeine so now I drink alot less it'll be easier....
So here goes today my last one was at:
6pm Hong Kong Time 20 May 2002.
Its now 10pm , been for 4hrs already, Im munching on a sugar free Airwave gum.
I'm gonna do this cold turkey, no gum no patches.
Keep you all posted
Richard
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 09:03
Registered Member

BF:

Welcome aboard! I'm doing it cold turkey too...unless you count having the odd bowl of strawberries and cream! It's now been 16 hours, and I'm still fine - sort of waiting for the hard part to start - LOL! Perhaps it won't!

All ashtrays now washed and put away - house smelling of lily of the valley and lavender. Will have a bath and hairwash in a while to get rid of any residual smoke.

Am sipping water every time I miss doing something with my hands - and I've done 5 miles on the exercise bike so far today. I've noticed I'm nibbling more than usual - small pieces of cheese, the strawberries, salami slices. Anyone got any suggestions of carb free nibbles? (Can't find sugar free gum that doesn't have carbs from sugar alcohols) The last thing I want to do is put weight on, but I reckon I can give myself a little leeway in the first 3 days of quitting...

Maybe a few prawns next....

Jo
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 09:18

Jo ,
Great to hear I have a companion along the way, let's keep in touch, I tend to have a bit of cheese usually Hard Parmesan if I get hungry or macadamia nuts..
Good luck hope we can do it simple huh, just dont put a fag in the mouth or light it !!
Good luck
Richard
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 10:22
Registered Member

BF:

Sunflower seeds and Jarlsberg here! I'm practically swimming in water at this stage - think I'm on litre #4 today! Just about to go and create dinner, since Carl's decided he's going to the pub on the way home from work, and isn't hungry anyway.

Chicken stir fry or chicken curry? Not sure which to go for - probably the curry, as it takes more concentration and time) to cook, and so I'll be occupied that bit longer!

No ciggies in the house right now, nearest shop 2 miles away - and to be honest, I'm not in the slightest bit tempted.

It's good to have someone to share this with - must be coming on for your bedtime now - sleep well, and check back in in the morning! I have an entire evening to get through - but hopefully there'll be something good on the telly to distract me!

Tomorrow is another (smoke free!) day!

Jo
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 10:51

Plan: protein power
Stats: 265/134/120
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Way to go!!!

Hi!
Just popping in to see how you are doing...Sounds like your doing fine.
I did chew sugar free gum, and I haven't gained any weight since I quit smoking, the first few weeks I chewed 8 pkg of gum in a weak now I'm only chewing 3.
Get through the first 3 days and you'll see the cravings will be less. I haven't found it to hard at all....It's also a state of mind.

I just think to myself if I ever take another puff I have to start over to square one again, with the withdrawals. NO THANK YOU, I'd rather not go through it again, so that keeps me in line.
Keep up the great work, to both of you!!!!!
Louise
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 06:24

Hi Jo,
Had a good work out today at 2pm for 2 hrs to take my mind off the crave which came at around 10 in the office, then went to get my hair cut --another 2 hrs gone (half day for me today, tomorrow I'm off)I work weekends...

Think I'll take Honey my Lakeland Terrier for a LONG walk in the National park, i'ts now 810 pm and Im watching BBC world service and the weather in Ireland looks pretty OK, I am originally from Hampshire --(Portsmonth )and I have a chronic headache, must drink more water..Chicken curry sounds excellent, think I'll have the same ,with some boiled eggs and a few spears 2-3 of steamed choy sum.

Hang in there Jo.

Richard
What crean do you use...its hard to get clotted cream here and I am always worried that there will be sugar in it if I dont whip the cream myself.
[B][I][U][SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=orangered]
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 07:10
Registered Member

BF:

I'm still an ex-smoker! Day 2 is a bit more of a struggle than Day 1 was, but I'm hanging in there! The weather isn't as good as all that here - it's raining right now, though not as windy as it was yesterday. Got wet when I took our 4 dogs (Cain, Clipsie, Max and Hobbit) down to the beach this morning.

I'm originally from Sussex - Brighton (well, Hove actually) - small world, huh? I'm supposed to be a housewife, but I'm hopeless at housework - feel more like a dogsitter and catfeeder really! Oh, and I do some web design from time to time - used to make my living at it, back when all you needed to know was HTML.

The cream here is just double cream - and that's literally all that's in it - cream. I don't bother whipping it, I just pour it over the strawbs, and it's lovely! I've run out of strawberries now (which is probably a good thing!) and am back to the cheese and sunflower seeds.

I think I'm going to try the local gym tomorrow - just to get me out of the house. I've got an exercise bike - have done 30 mins on it this morning, but I fancy trying some of the other machines - plus finding out how to do some upper body/weight stuff. I thought Carl might be interested in coming with me, but it seems he's not - LOL! Couch potato!

Glad to know you're out there and doing this with me - it makes a difference!

All the best!

Jo
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 08:05

Jo do you enter your calories on www.fitday.com
I find it helpful, 30 mins on the bike is good, did you sweat?
If you go to the gym ask for a trainer to set you up on a basic programme, try and do 40 mins and just make sure you break a sweat, then do a few upper body weights to BURN the muscles.
I will try the cream we used to have it that way at school, I went to a boarding school on the IOW
-Bembridge for 9 years when my parents liked in Tanzania and Ghana...thats where I took up smoking
Now 10 05 and no craving --cool huh, the chicken curry was GRRRREAT did the trick, i ate 6 drumsticks !!
Keep the faith
R
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 08:18

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

keep it up jo! If it's anything like getting off sugar, by Day 5, it'll be much easier.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 08:30

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 160/160/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile

Hello,

Congrats on you choice to quit smoking. It seems your doing great.

Last edited by Pandora24 : Tue, May-21-02 at 08:40.