Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-13, 06:23

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Segway Inventor Patents A Gadget That Sucks Food Directly Out of your Stomach

Seghttp://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2013-01/segway-inventor-patents-gadget-sucks-food-directly-out-stomach

Quote:
Eat anything you want, then remove some of it before it's digested.

This is the good news about a recently-patented gadget that sucks food out of the stomach: it could work as a last-ditch effort to get obese people to shed some weight. This is the bad news about said gadget: the method might be a little extreme.

AspireAssist, created by Segway inventor Dean Kamen and a team of bariatricians, works like this. A valve gets surgically implanted in the user's stomach, and the gadget sends a tube through it into their belly. About 20 minutes after eating, the gadget sucks out some food, and when the user squeezes a bag filled with water, the liquid gets sent back into the stomach instead. Rinse and repeat until up to 30 percent of your meal is gone. (There's no anesthesia involved, but some sedatives will be used along with it.) It's already available in some parts of Europe, but no FDA approval yet.

Here's the word from the gadget's site:

The aspiration process is performed about 20 minutes after the entire meal is consumed and takes 5 to 10 minutes to complete. The process is performed in the privacy of the restroom, and the food is drained directly into the toilet. Because aspiration only removes a third of the food, the body still receives the calories it needs to function. For optimal weight loss, patients should aspirate after each major meal (about 3 times per day) initially. Over time, as patients learn to eat more healthfully, they can reduce the frequency of aspirations.

In a trial, obese people who used it lost, on average, about half of their excess weight. That was about 45 pounds, according to the patent. But there were some hiccups, too, like when the machine had trouble breaking up certain foods. One patient "avoided eating cauliflower, broccoli, Chinese food, stir fry, snow peas, pretzels, chips, and steak."

Other than that, it sounds convenient (unless you live in China), albeit a little gross. Not surprisingly, though, convenience and effectiveness don't always inspire the greatest confidence when it comes to weight loss, and some experts are already a little wary of AspireAssist. One wondered to LiveScience if this was just an At-Home Bulimia Machine™. Nutrients from food are kinda important, after all, and removing one-third of them might not be such a good idea.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-13, 10:22

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Dr Eenfeldt at www.dietdoctor.com talked about this bulimia-assistance device a while back:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/more-insa...bulimia-machine
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-13, 10:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

So the man who gave our fat, out of shape policemen a way to get around town without walking, now comes up with a way for them combat the additional pounds they have put on since the Segway reduced their exercise. Just brilliant.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-22-13 at 12:14.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-13, 18:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
So the man who gave our fat, out of shape policemen a way to get around town without walking, now comes up with a way for them combat the additional pounds they have put on since the Segway reduced their exercise. Just brilliant.

I suppose you could say inventing a machine that obviates the need to walk anywhere could be a segue into inventing a machine that lets you pig out on whatever you want.....

I know, I know.....groooaaaaan.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-13, 19:09
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

So...now people are advocating what is typically considered a dangerous eating disorder?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-13, 22:51

Plan: Ketogenic + IF
Stats: 240/194/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhrain
So...now people are advocating what is typically considered a dangerous eating disorder?

That's pretty much my reaction.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 00:00

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Yuck. It just saves you the trouble of making yourself puke! Wow. I really hope this doesn't get approved by the FDA.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 05:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Well, once again, just like with bariatric surgery, they are saying the problem is we eat too much. Not that we are eating the wrong things.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 09:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't see how this is all that different from weight loss surgery... just a tad grosser.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 09:54
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhrain

advocating= enabling

This is really pathetic to me.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 10:03

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Well, this is the bottom as far as I'm concerned. Don't know how much lower it can get. I'm sure lots of desperate people will think this The Best Thing In The World, and can't say I wouldn't have thought the same back in the day, but dayum, in reality it's just gross.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 10:09

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

but but there is no real surgery involved! Just a little tube....
That makes it so much better than bariatric surgery right??

Now cant you see the buffets starting to install pumps so you can purge before you go home?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 10:50

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I was rather taken with the idea of attaching the pumps to the Segways...target marketing. I have great respect for Dean Kamen as an inventor, some of his other medical inventions like the chemo and insulin pumps, and prosthesis, are brilliant; but this one is hitting rock bottom. Enabling an eating disorder for sure.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 13:02

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Ah, but it'll save your tooth enamel and your esophagus...
/sarcasm
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-13, 08:59
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

As someone with binge eating disorder, my first thought was that you could stuff yourself till you get that sick feeling, then purge enough to stop the sick feeling....then maybe eat a little more. I've never induced vomiting as part of binging, but this could well give someone a push in that direction. And people are perfectly capable of lying about their eating disorders to get one fitted.

Lee