Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-12, 12:39

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The secret to why the French live longer - Roquefort cheese

Quote:
From The Telegraph
London, UK
17 December, 2012

The secret to why the French live longer - Roquefort cheese

Eating Roquefort cheese could help guard against cardiovascular disease despite its high fat and salt content, according to new research that suggests why the French enjoy good health.

Scientists discovered the French cheese, known for its mould and green veins, has specific anti-inflammatory properties.

It could provide clues to the “French paradox” and explain why people who live in the country enjoy good health despite favouring a diet high in saturated fat.

Using new technology, the researchers found the properties worked their best when the cheese, one of the world’s oldest, ripened.

The properties of the blue cheese, which is aged in caves in the south of France, near Toulouse, were found to work best in acidic environments of the body, such as the lining of the stomach or the skin surface.

Acidification is also a common process accompanying inflammation such as in joints affected by arthritis or special plaque on an artery wall.

French women enjoy the joint-longest life expectancy in Europe, at 85.3 years, against 82.3 years for British women.

The group of doctors at a Cambridge-based biotech company developed the technology, which helps to identify the new anti-inflammatory factors.

The team from Lycotec, led by Dr Ivan Petyaev and Dr Yuriy Bashmakov, suggested the new properties could be extracted to help the fight against cardiovascular disease or in anti-ageing creams.

They detailed their work in a study, published in the Medical Hypotheses journal, titled: “Could cheese be the missing piece in the French paradox puzzle?”

“The anti-inflammatory factors found in these cheeses could be extracted and used independently or as a part of today's pharmaceutical or beauty products,” they wrote.

“Observations indicate that consumption of red wine alone cannot explain the paradox and perhaps some other constituents of the typical French diet could be responsible for reduced cardiovascular mortality.

“We hypothesise that cheese consumption, especially of moulded varieties, may contribute to the occurrence of the ‘French paradox’.”

They added: “Moulded cheeses, including Roquefort, may be even more favourable to cardiovascular health.”

Roquefort, which is thought to have been first eaten in about 79AD, is noted for its sharp, tangy, salty flavour and its rich, creamy texture.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...ort-cheese.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-12, 12:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

They're still looking for an explanation of why a high fat diet is healthy, but only in the French. What about the Swedes and other N. Europeans?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-12, 13:42

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

Ooooh I love Roquefort - I'm getting some today!

The comments are worth a read - I don't normally read a paper like the Telegraph, but there are some intelligent people there (even if they do vote Tory ) Ooops, sorry politics - I'll stop now.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-12, 16:29

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

But seriously, it's Saint André cheese. This is the fattest, richest, most delicious cheese I know of. When left out for a few hours, it's like butter. Of course, it's my favorite. In fact, I ate one today. 200g of pure delight.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-12, 01:47

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Cheese in general is good for you, moulded or not.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-12, 03:11

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I do love a good blue...Maytag especially. (American here) I've never tried a Roquefort but now will search out the French cave kind. Thanks for the post, Demi..
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-12, 04:05

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default The answer is surely multicausal, not monocausal!!!

As far as I understood, a good scientist would generally argue that there are very rarely single individual causes for any given phenomenon.

This seems to be a case of not being terribly scientific to me.

This kind of blue cheese - the Roquefort - has a VERY strong flavour and I simply can't imagine that every single French person likes the stuff!!! And, what's more, I guess that even those who do eat it probably don't eat it by the bucketload on a daily basis.

It is simply ludicrous to think that one single food item could be responsible for the better health of the French.

Over the last few years during which I've frequented this forum there have regularly been reports published here linking the good health of the French to individual discrete items. I believe there was once an article about a particular kind of cognac - maybe it was Armignac??? - being responsible for the French Paradox. And, of course, red wine has also been singled out. I cannot believe that every single Frenchman and every single Frenchwoman likes cognac, red wine and Roquefort cheese.

I believe that the reason the French - still? - enjoy somewhat better health is that their diet is more traditional than elsewhere.

For example, on a French dining table you will still find the whole gamut of fatty meat products; all the rich dairy products (cream, cheese, crème fraîche, and so on and the traditional French diet also includes cuts of animals that are unheard of elsewhere, such as liver and other offal, and the use of gelatine in things like head cheese.

The French also eat fruit and vegetables when they are in season.

I would bet my bottom dollar that the consumption of packaged, highly-processed foods is way lower in France than it is in the USA or the UK.

Surely it is a combination of all these differences which adds up to the phenomenon of the French "paradox"?

I am sure that the other countries mentioned in this thread (Sweden, for example) also still have a more traditional food culture.

As soon as Big Food and the giant food and beverage chains sink their teeth into a population, then things start going downhill with people's health.

When people start switching from fresh produce bought at local markets which they prepare at home themselves from scratch to store-bought ready meals or junk food bought at McDonald's and KYC, then they start to get fatter.

I do believe there are also other factors involved, but the lack of Roquefort cheese in people's diets is NOT the one single cause of the obesity problem and the high heart attack rate outside of France.

amanda
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-12, 09:13

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I agree, Amanda. They're not even looking at the whole cheese either, just a tiny amount of a specific substance found in that cheese. As if a tiny amount of anything could somehow make a very large difference at the population level. And it's not like the substance they found there can't be found anywhere else. We are talking about a paradox, an anomaly after all. A paradox is an extraordinary circumstance, therefore an extraordinary explanation must be found to explain it. However, the paradox is born not out of the facts, but out of the hypothesis. So instead of trying to find a second hypothesis to explain the paradox, we could use a different starting hypothesis that includes this paradox, but removes its paradoxical nature, thus making it just plain normal instead. We do have such a hypothesis, but it's not yet mainstream.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-12, 18:10

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Are they implying that it is the Penicillium roqueforti that is responsible for the health of the French? If so, why wouldn't the same effect be seen with Stilton and Dana Bleu? They all have the same fungus.

After all, it was one of the first antibiotics...