Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 01:52

Plan: my own
Stats: 340/182/175 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 02:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

They've known this for years. I know someone who went on a ketogenic diet as a last ditch attempt to rid herself of cancer and it seems to be working!! WTF are our governments/healthcare providers doing, not even mentioning this as at least possibility to cancer sufferers???

They're only too happy to plaster statements across newspapers that - shock horror "red meat and processed meat cause cancer"

Jo xxx
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 02:44

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, Dr Hatfield is a doctor in philosophy, not medicine.
http://drsquat.com/who-is-drsquat

Listening to the video, I am impressed. It's like somebody from this forum just got on to talk about our collective experience.

More on ketogenic diet as cancer treatment:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=447278
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 09:58
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

What is Pat going on about with the joints swelling on a ketogenic diet? Has anyone heard of this?

Last edited by RawNut : Sat, Dec-15-12 at 03:30.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 13:06

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Yeah I don't understand where that comes from either. That was not my personal experience. On the contrary, my joints all felt better, stronger. No swelling. The way he talked about his view of a ketogenic diet tells me his view is a little warped. And this tells me maybe what he tried years back wasn't much ketogenic. It reminds me of people saying they didn't like the Atkins diet, when in fact they didn't do anything close to Atkins.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 16:31
The Girl from Ipomea

Plan: Atkins 72,Zero Carb
Stats: 229/212/160 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:well shucks....
Progress: 25%

Hmm one of the reasons I walked back in the door here was losing my perfectly healthy sister to melanoma, and just a month ago my lovely father to multiple myeloma. And last night I dreamed I had to tell my children that I was sick. I don't want that.I believe wholeheartedly that sugar feeds cancer, and I am not willing to bet my life it doesn't. I guess I am preaching to the choir but in case there is a dabbler peeking at this forum... pay heed.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 16:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm sorry for your loses, MetaGirl.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 17:03
The Girl from Ipomea

Plan: Atkins 72,Zero Carb
Stats: 229/212/160 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:well shucks....
Progress: 25%

And there was no "history" for those of you that think that matter. Cancer sucks.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 17:34

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Speaking to the ketogenic diet, my brother (55) was diagnosed with multiple myloma years ago. Since then he's adopted a strict "all meat" diet, with the addition of eggs. He's been doing this for about 3 or 4 years and he's doing great. Technically, it's not gone but it's going nowhere. He's very active, healthy and in no danger of keeling over.

It's very tragic that people are losing loved ones to these types of cancers when there could potentially be a cure but the medical profession is still clueless. And oftentimes the ketogenic diet is misrepresented by people afraid to name real fats like coconut oil, butter and lard.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-12, 12:12

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
It's very tragic that people are losing loved ones to these types of cancers when there could potentially be a cure but the medical profession is still clueless.
The medical profession is not clueless... otherwise they wouldn't insist that you not eat any carbs for 24 hours prior to your MRI. Thanks to Otto Warburg, they've known since 1930's that sugar feeds cancer cells.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-12, 10:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dan, thank you for posting this.
Had left for vacation the day this aired and just found it. I am always interested in research using diet to prevent cancer recurrence, and was thrilled to find a more "consumer-friendly" TV video to share with fellow survivors. I also highlighted a favorite linked website, Ketogenic Diet Resource, which is well-written with useful information.
http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource....ses-cancer.html
The Dr Craig Thomspon video, linked here, is good if others want to know more of the science.
Good Health and Happiness in the New Year, Thanks,
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-12, 10:27
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

They know, but you don't make millions of dollars a year from sending someone home with a sugar free diet. Radiation, chemo, and PET scans are way more profitable. You should have seen the look I got from an oncology doc when I tried to discuss it with her.....
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-12, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky7474
They know, but you don't make millions of dollars a year from sending someone home with a sugar free diet. Radiation, chemo, and PET scans are way more profitable. You should have seen the look I got from an oncology doc when I tried to discuss it with her.....

Thankfully my oncologist is very supportive..said his wife follows Paleo. I have wondered if he recommends ketogenic to other patients and plan to ask him this year.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-13, 06:11

Dr.Colin Champ posted a short Introduction to Ketogenic Diets for Cancer. 1000 words, though his other cancer posts, under the cancer tab on his website, offer more details. This is a good explanation to accompany the CBN video.

http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2013/0...iet-for-cancer/
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 14:30

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 197/197/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Ketogenic diet and bone loss

Hello. I'm thinking of trying a Ketogenic diet to eradicate bone marrow cancer. I've seen some comments online and in a book I just am looking through that it may cause bone loss or fractures. This I need to avoid!

Does anyone have any info on the use of a keto diet and bone density? I have Multiple Myeloma and need to strengthen the bones, and wipe out the cancer. I thought the KD would be the thing, but these comments here and there about bone loss have me worried. Thanks for any tips anyone has.