Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 10:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default What Wheat Does to Everyone

I've been following Dr. Fasano's research and had heard this before. Dr. Davis sums it up very well:

What do you have that chimps don’t have?

Quote:
By a quirk of nature, the wheat protein, gliadin, mimics the effects of foreign bacteria and it, too, triggers zonulin. But this function is flawed in that it generates a two-way response: Not only can water exit, but intestinal contents are able to gain entry in the opposite direction: into the bloodstream.

Among the most fascinating findings of Dr. Fasano’s work: The gliadin-zonulin leak effect occurs not just in people with celiac disease or gluten-sensitivity; it occurs in everybody. The effect is longer and more pronounced (5-fold greater) in the enterocytes of people with celiac disease, but the effect of increased two-way leakiness spares nobody.

It makes your bowels leak, celiac or not. If you eat wheat, you will have leaky bowels. If you're celiac, it is just 5x worse.

So? Maybe that's natural or desirable some how?

Keep in mind that zonulin not only lets water into your bowels, but it lets the contents of your bowels into your blood stream. That's definitely not supposed to happen. It is probably the way that autoimmune diseases get started. Your body responds to foreign proteins (and... $hit) as if they were bacterial intruders. Then it starts to respond to proteins your own body makes and so, your autoimmune system turns against your body itself.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 14:17

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

This would explain also why children with ASD typically do better when avoiding wheat.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 13:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Just like Dr. Davis says. Wheat is not good for anyone!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 14:35

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Just one more nail in the coffin for the idea that wheat is food for humans.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 15:04

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Quote:
By a quirk of nature, the wheat protein, gliadin, mimics the effects of foreign bacteria and it, too, triggers zonulin. But this function is flawed in that it generates a two-way response: Not only can water exit, but intestinal contents are able to gain entry in the opposite direction: into the bloodstream.

Any ideas how gliadin, in mimicking zonulin, enables intestinal contents to get into the blood?

And if this is indeed so, why don't we also see bacteria getting into the blood?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 16:16
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZigeuner
Any ideas how gliadin, in mimicking zonulin, enables intestinal contents to get into the blood?

And if this is indeed so, why don't we also see bacteria getting into the blood?

The answer to your question:

Quote:
Once triggered by bacteria, zonulin is responsible for creating bowel “leakiness,” allowing water to leak into the bowel: diarrhea, an adaptive response that develops in response to foreign invaders to flush them out. (Cholera toxin is the penultimate example of this effect, resulting in gallons of watery diarrhea.)

So, it leaks into the gut in response to bacteria but both in and out in response to gliadin.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
The answer to your question:
Quote:
gliadin, mimics the effects of foreign bacteria and it, too, triggers zonulin. But this function is flawed in that it generates a two-way response: Not only can water exit, but intestinal contents are able to gain entry in the opposite direction: into the bloodstream.

So, it leaks into the gut in response to bacteria but both in and out in response to gliadin.

Welll what I was wondering is not whether it happens, but how it is that gliadin allows intestinal content to get into the bloodstream.

For example, let's say (totally hypothesizing here) gliadin mimics some kind of antigen or something that the foreign bacteria present, zonulin responds as if gliadin were those bacteria. But how is it that gliadin also lets stuff move in the opposite direction, when that doesn't happen with the foreign bacteria?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 17:56
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZigeuner
Welll what I was wondering is not whether it happens, but how it is that gliadin allows intestinal content to get into the bloodstream.

For example, let's say (totally hypothesizing here) gliadin mimics some kind of antigen or something that the foreign bacteria present, zonulin responds as if gliadin were those bacteria. But how is it that gliadin also lets stuff move in the opposite direction, when that doesn't happen with the foreign bacteria?

I see what you mean. There must be more to it or it'd give us the runs.

I found this study by Fasano. I don't have access to the full text but maybe occludin or ZO-1 have a part as well. It's Greek to me.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16635908
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 18:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I would imagine that bacteria are bigger than peptides (broken down proteins that stimulate the autoimmune system), maybe they can't squeeze through the tight junctions. Otherwise, we'd all have died of peritonitis I should think.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
I see what you mean. There must be more to it or it'd give us the runs.

I found this study by Fasano. I don't have access to the full text but maybe occludin or ZO-1 have a part as well. It's Greek to me.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16635908

Cool, thanks for finding that study. I'll take a peek when I've finished me homework (due in 3 hrs 54 minutes!)
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-12, 07:29

Plan: Atkins/Reduced dairy
Stats: 280/200/180 Male 5'8
BF:30.4%
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvannaBFit
This would explain also why children with ASD typically do better when avoiding wheat.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

Thanks
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-12, 07:44
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 198/136/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 107%

I get somewhat concerned with this "one-size-fits-all" theories. As someone who suffers from Crohnes disease and has gone through an elimination diet for a year (started with chicken and rice - then slowly added foods back into diet and recorded reactions) - wheat does not affect my intestines/bowels at all. In fact, it soothes them.

I cannot buy into this whole wheat is the enemy. My triggers are almost all vegi's and some fruit.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-12, 16:24
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I don't think what triggers pain or visible reaction is the only measure of what affects the body, is probably their point.

PJ