Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 21:00

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

Hi Nancy - this thread is loaded and I'm trying to catch up...at my last check-up, I had my blood done for all my health markers and the doctor actually said my sodium is low.

(1) I naturally don't 'do salt' on most foods. it's actually an ongoing joke in my family. whenever I make eggs or popcorn, they always have to add salt, b/c I don't.....they think I'm weird, but never want it

(2) we have a history of high blood pressure (mine has been borderline high for years, but not high yet)

what is the best way to get sodium? is it based on weight? you said 5 grams...so, is it as simple as consuming 5000 mg (via reading labels)

if you've already laid out these examples or dosages, I apologize, just reading through all the posts on this thread

As always, thanks for the info... I've heard a lot about Volek and Phinney's books through LLVLC blog and really want to invest in , "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable" soon!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 03:27

Plan: Dr S D Phinney
Stats: 198/175/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:9 - 10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith v
Seriously??
Salt water?

That's what you use to make people vomit!

If you understood the actual amount of sea salt/potassium that goes into my home-made drink is far less than a cup of V8. Do you have any idea how much? 1/4 tsp of sea salt is approx 450mg and 1/4 tsp of potassium is approx 450mg. *tsp = teaspoon, TSP = Tablespoon

Don't forget what I suggested is far healthy and use REAL sea salt/potassium compare to V8.

You can easily make a broth using the above suggestion with some lightly cooked vegetables like onion or garlic in grass-fed butter.

A cup of V8 has approx 600mg of sodium (chemical salt) and 600mg of potassium. A cup of low-sodium V8 has approx 200mg of sodium (again, chemical salt) and 800mg of potassium.

Also, the chemicals in V8 are nasty like the so called citric acid, which is actually a hidden form of MSG processed from corn. In another words, the citric acid had been hydrolysed from corn (grain).

http://www.purezing.com/living/toxi...ontainsmsg.html

It also contains a chemical called BPA, Bisphenol A, that coated the inner wall of the container. BPA had been banned in baby products.

Again, the vegetables in V8 have been severely pasteurised, therefore the nutritional values are next to nothing.

Now, that would make me REALLY vomit.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
If you don't get enough sodium, you'll end up excreting potassium too. So first things first, get enough sodium then supplement potassium.

I wouldn't drink the V8 with low sodium because you need the sodium.

Not even the regular V8 product. Nasty stuff.

Make your own V8, which is so easy.

Here is an example...

Use the amount of sea salt/potassium I suggested above into a blender that contains at least 2 cups of fresh water. 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup chopped dark green cabbage, 2 -3 sticks of celery etc. You can add spices if you want. Blend well for a minutes.
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 03:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaca201
Hi Nancy - this thread is loaded and I'm trying to catch up...at my last check-up, I had my blood done for all my health markers and the doctor actually said my sodium is low.

(1) I naturally don't 'do salt' on most foods. it's actually an ongoing joke in my family. whenever I make eggs or popcorn, they always have to add salt, b/c I don't.....they think I'm weird, but never want it

(2) we have a history of high blood pressure (mine has been borderline high for years, but not high yet)

what is the best way to get sodium? is it based on weight? you said 5 grams...so, is it as simple as consuming 5000 mg (via reading labels)

if you've already laid out these examples or dosages, I apologize, just reading through all the posts on this thread

As always, thanks for the info... I've heard a lot about Volek and Phinney's books through LLVLC blog and really want to invest in , "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable" soon!

The general suggestion is roughly 2500 - 3000mg of sodium, but that is based on eating carbs. For those who are into the low-carb lifestyle, the requirement of sodium goes up greatly just like what Dr S D Phinney says.

Not just Dr S D Phinney, but from my experience too and I actually have more energy, normal heart rhythm and etc.

Even the Japanese, especially the Northern counties, they eat up to 10,000mg of salt and more in potassium. They have no heart diseases, strokes etc.

Last edited by MrRoberts : Wed, Oct-10-12 at 04:10.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 05:46

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

At what level of daily carb intake do you think people need to add more salt?

I've had the heart thumping and then ate carbs to relieve it, usually cashews, thinking I needed more carbs but now I think it was probably salt. I've also had some foot cramping that mystified me because it would get worse from taking magnesium. Sometimes I would find relief from an Emergen-C packet which has a nice albeit low level mix of minerals: http://www.iherb.com/Alacer-Emergen...-oz-114-g/17947.

I've been reading from naturapaths for years that you don't need to worry about too much sodium, if you also get plenty of potassium so it's not like I've tried to limit salt, but I also never thought to add salt.

I think I have some potassium chloride around somewhere because I remember putting some in a salt shaker but then usually not using it because I thought the taste wasn't comparable to regular salt, but it appears to be a good source of potassium as 1/4 tsp is 730 mg. http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Pota...-8-oz-227-g/777

I've been concerned that I don't get enough potassium, as I don't like vegetables and whenever I plugged my food into My Plan and checked that nutrient, even when I thought I was getting a lot of potassium, I wasn't.

Thanks for this info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoberts

Even the Japanese, especially the Northern counties, they eat up to 10,000mg of salt and more in potassium. They have no heart diseases, strokes etc.

They also get a lot more magnesium in their diets.

Last edited by JLx : Wed, Oct-10-12 at 05:48. Reason: reply to quote
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
At what level of daily carb intake do you think people need to add more salt?

I've had the heart thumping and then ate carbs to relieve it, usually cashews, thinking I needed more carbs but now I think it was probably salt. I've also had some foot cramping that mystified me because it would get worse from taking magnesium. Sometimes I would find relief from an Emergen-C packet which has a nice albeit low level mix of minerals: http://www.iherb.com/Alacer-Emergen...-oz-114-g/17947.

I've been reading from naturapaths for years that you don't need to worry about too much sodium, if you also get plenty of potassium so it's not like I've tried to limit salt, but I also never thought to add salt.

I think I have some potassium chloride around somewhere because I remember putting some in a salt shaker but then usually not using it because I thought the taste wasn't comparable to regular salt, but it appears to be a good source of potassium as 1/4 tsp is 730 mg. http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Pota...-8-oz-227-g/777

I've been concerned that I don't get enough potassium, as I don't like vegetables and whenever I plugged my food into My Plan and checked that nutrient, even when I thought I was getting a lot of potassium, I wasn't.

Thanks for this info!

They also get a lot more magnesium in their diets.

That's right. People think they are getting enough, but they aren't by a long shot!

Once you go below 50g of carb or less, the amount of sodium goes up greatly. People mistakenly think that by eating a bit more carb they solve the heart irregular problem. It isn't the carb, but the sodium in foods that helps.

I had that experience too upping my magnesium thinking it would stop my muscle cramps and eye-lid twitching. It didn't. Upping the salt did.

The Japanese get their magnesium naturally from foods like seaweed, kelp etc. It takes care of itself.

Last edited by MrRoberts : Wed, Oct-10-12 at 07:03.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 08:15

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
Sorry Keith, just as nasty, to me. I'll stick with my bouilan cubes and fake salt.

I've heard that before, Wife and brother refuse to drink it
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 08:17

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneAlice
keith.. I'm confused.. why do you say that 4 g of potassium would have you kneeling in the bathroom, but 3500 grams is the RDA?

Yes I meant eating it raw or in water all at once.
Drinking a bunch of V8 would be fine.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 08:18

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:

I remember trying it years ago, thinking it would be the way to get nutrients in while dieting and starving myself. Yucky! Glad you like it, I know a lot of people that drink the stuff and tomatoe juice too.

I guess my taste buds are to sensative
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 09:07

Quote:

I don't blame your wife and brother.
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 10:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

Good to meet you MrRoberts, You going to start a journal?
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 11:07

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoberts

... People mistakenly think that by eating a bit more carb they solve the heart irregular problem. It isn't the carb, but the sodium in foods that helps.

Partially correct: the sodium in the carby foods does help.

But the carbs themselves help greatly, if secondarily, by stimulating the release of insulin. Insulin tells parts around the kidney to retain sodium instead of excreting it. IIRC, insulin also tells the adrenals to secrete aldosterone, which promotes sodium retention.
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 11:32

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

so, should I lose faith in the completeness/healthiness of the LC/paleo diet? did our ancestors need sodium supplements, or did they get them elsewhere?
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 11:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

Quote:
so, should I lose faith in the completeness/healthiness of the LC/paleo diet? did our ancestors need sodium supplements, or did they get them elsewhere?

Animals, including us, have always been attracted to extra minerals and salt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_lick

Also here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt

"...A very ancient saltworks operation has been discovered at the Poiana Slatinei archaeological site next to a salt spring in Lunca, Neamţ County, Romania. Evidence indicates that Neolithic people of the Precucuteni Culture were boiling the salt-laden spring water through the process of briquetage to extract the salt as far back as 6050 BC.[9] The salt extracted from this operation may have had a direct correlation to the rapid growth of this society's population soon after its initial production began.[10] The harvest of salt from the surface of Xiechi Lake near Yuncheng in Shanxi, China dates back to at least 6000 BC, making it one of the oldest verifiable saltworks.[11]:18–19..."
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 12:02

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Quote:

They also ate the whole animal.

That includes blood (sodium, trce minerals).

Also, in Art&Science of LC Living, I think, they describe the Inuit making a soup (or beverage?) using a specific age of ice, which had a certain amount of sodium/trace minerals in it.