Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 13:31
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default Early Meat Eating Human Ancestors Thrived While Vegetarian Homonims Died Out

Early Meat Eating Human Ancestors Thrived While Vegetarian Homonims Died Out
by Katherine Harmon, 8/8/2012

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...minin-died-out/

Quote:
There has been fierce debate recently over whether the original “caveman” diet was one of heaps of bloody meat or fields of greens. New findings suggest that some of our early ancestors were actually quite omnivorous. But subsequently, our line and an ill-fated group of hominins developed very different dietary strategies. One chose meat while the other moved toward more plants.

The hominin Australopithecus, which lived from about 4 million to 2 million years ago, is presumed to be a common ancestor of both the Homo lineage, which emerged some 2.3 million years ago and gave rise to us, and to the Paranthropus genius, which is first documented about 2.7 million years ago and died out about 1 million years ago. Some have attributed the extinction of Paranthropus to an inflexible diet or limited territory, especially in the face of climactic changes.

A team of researchers led by Vincent Balter, of École Normale Supérieure de Lyon, decided to probe into some of these debates. They used lasers to analyze the enamel from fossilized teeth belonging to Australopithecus africanus, Paranthropus robustus and early Homo specimens, which were all from southern Africa. By assessing ratios of calcium, barium and strontium as well as the number of strontium isotopes, the team was able to deduce both diet and the size of the area that these individuals ranged over. The findings were published online August 8 in Nature (Scientific American is part of Nature Publishing Group).

The ancestral Australopithecus consumed a wide range of foods, including, meat, leaves and fruits. This varied diet might have been flexible to shift with food availability in different seasons, ensuring that they almost always had something to eat. Paranthropus, according to the elemental analysis, was largely a plant eater, which matches up with previous studies of tooth morphology and wear patterns. It also helps to explain the massive jaw structure they possessed, which could have come in handy for tough food stuffs and earned one specimen the nickname “nutcracker man.” Early Homo, on the other hand, went in for a meat-heavy diet—possibly enabled by the use of tools for hunting and butchering.

However, just because a meatier diet was good for our early Homo forbearers does not necessarily it will keep each of us contemporary humans alive longer. Now that we no longer have to fend for ourselves in quite the same way, increased red meat consumption has actually been linked to shorter individual life spans. So next time you’re flummoxed by food choices, don’t be afraid to go a little Paranthropus and hit the salad bar.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 14:29

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

So, let me get this straight.

The article is titled:
Early Meat Eating Human Ancestors Thrived While Vegetarian Homonims Died Out

The author draws the following conclusion:
"However, just because a meatier diet was good for our early Homo forbearers does not necessarily it will keep each of us contemporary humans alive longer. Now that we no longer have to fend for ourselves in quite the same way, increased red meat consumption has actually been linked to shorter individual life spans. So next time you’re flummoxed by food choices, don’t be afraid to go a little Paranthropus and hit the salad bar."

In the immortal words/actions of Tom Naughton, "Bang head on desk."
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 14:33
Attitude is a Choice

I LOL'ed when I read that too. Its her take on the study....and I bet that she's a vegetarian!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 15:31

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I pasted Hellistile's comment in the comments section of the article at the SA site.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 15:31

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
"So next time you’re flummoxed by food choices, don’t be afraid to go a little Paranthropus and hit the salad bar."

Well, isn't that just precious!

Next time I'm feeling "flummoxed" about what to eat, I seriously doubt I'll be taking the advice of Katherine Harmon - who looks like she's all of about 12 and has a degree in freaking journalism.

Why do they talk down to us? Why does a journal with a name like Scientific American publish an article that reads like it belongs in Self? "Hit the salad bar"? Really?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 15:34

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
I pasted Hellistile's comment in the comments section of the article at the SA site.

Thank you.

I noticed that one of her hyperlinks takes you to another article of hers - in which she has 30 comments, many of them critical, to which she doesn't respond.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 18:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Just how obvious does it need to be?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 18:38
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I knew it! And it's still happening today.

I agree, the comments are a hoot. She's a Homininny

The views expressed are those of the author and are not necessarily those of Scientific American.

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Aug-09-12 at 18:59. Reason: Shame on SA
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 09:01
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I knew it! And it's still happening today.

I agree, the comments are a hoot. She's a Homininny

The views expressed are those of the author and are not necessarily those of Scientific American.

Exactly Mike!
I don't care what she thinks....its her blog and she surely allowed her opinion.
The info in the study is the cool thing here, not what her opinion about it is.\
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 16:04

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I don't mind hitting the salad bar. Tuirkey, ham, boiled eggs, cheese...mmm! I used to be a vegetarian thinking it was so good for my health but quit when I discovered how much better for me Atkins was at the time. I'm not convinced humans are made to be strict vegetarians because plants don't have the B12 we require and our guts more closely resemble carnivores more than any of the modern herbivores. It's doable especially if important to someone's belief system, but vitamin supplements are in order and I would never want to go back to eating that much carbs.