Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 11:16

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%
Default The very squishy science of counting calories

Maybe those calorie counts on food labels are not quite true?

Quote:
We have one standard metric in this country for the amount of energy in a given quantity of food: the calorie. Just about every food you can find in the grocery store, aside from fresh produce, comes branded with a calorie count. The new health-care law will soon require chain restaurants to post the caloric content of standard menu items.

There’s just one problem: The methodology for determining caloric content, developed about a century ago, may not be all that accurate. That is what scientists are learning as they try to answer what seems like a pretty simple question: How many calories does an almond have?

Quote:
What they found, as described by study author David Bear: “When people are consuming nuts, the amount of fat in the feces goes up. And that suggests that we’re not absorbing all the fat or calories that’s in the nut.”

In other words, there’s might be a whole lot of fat in almonds that shows up in a bomb calorimeter, but a good amount of it never gets absorbed by the body. As a result, the researchers concluded that almonds actually have 20 percent fewer calories than we currently think.

Link
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 11:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think my body might be the exception. Nuts make me gain weight like mad!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 11:39

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I'm not too sure how useful calorie counting is to begin with. I've tried tracking what I eat on a program mostly to watch my carbs and protein to stay in ketosis. The amount recommended by these programs and formulas to tell you how much calories you need to maintain or lose weight don't feel at all accurate because I need a lot more food than they recommend just to maintain my weight. Also when I go out on vacation for a week swimming, hiking and eating whatever amount of food feels comfortable with no attempt to quantify activity or calories, I come back at the exact same weight. When I was recovering from injury and couldn't exercise, I felt like I was naturally eating less without trying, and my weight didn't change a bit. So I think the body instinctively knows how much it needs to eat to balance activity and BMR to maintain its weight. Otherwise how would animals, or even human beings without knowledge of calories, not accidentally starve?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 12:35

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Reminds me a bit of this paper , basically what the abstract is saying is that carbohydrate is always fully oxidized to CO2 before being expelled from the body, meanwhile fat calories cause excretion of various organic compounds that have energy values of their own, implying that fat is not always fully oxidized to CO2 before being expelled. ( i.e. wasted calories )

The spin off from this is that carbohydrate is far more efficient than fat, which is why low-fat diets produce slower weight loss. Ofcourse the study was done in mice so its a deep breath to extrapolate to humans.

Btw if anyone has the full text from that study please can you link I would really love to read the full thing.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 20:35

Nothing to see here.

Last edited by Turtle2003 : Sat, Aug-04-12 at 20:41.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 20:40

Here's the study for the article I posted, or did you mean the original Pawan paper you referenced? That's something that drives me nuts - that Pawan paper is from 1963 - almost 50 years ago! - and the damned journal still wants $31 to let us read it.

Link
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 09:36

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Acknowledgments
The authors’ responsibilities were as follows—JAN, SKG and DJB: participated in the design of the experiment, collection of data, analysis of data, and writing of the manuscript. None of the authors had a conflict of interest. The Almond Board of California played no role in the design, implementation, or analysis of the study or in interpretation of the data.

I guess the Almond Board of California paid for this study? (Otherwise, why mention them?)

I ate too many peanuts the other week, next morning I passed what looked like a nutty chocolate bar. TMI?