Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-12, 10:02

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAlly
Hi Ms Arielle, I get the same thing.

Very low to no carbs = not sleepy after eating, good sleep each night
Even a little bit of carbs = sleepy after eating yet bad sleep each night

IT is crazy how screwed up our bodies are metabolically--even frustrating at times.

I do like the good nights sleep.

I read in the Power Protein book that over time our bodies can heal and not be so reactive; I would like to beleive this is true, though Atkins doesn't mention it. Will know in the years to come after I get to goal weight. THough technically, no carbs are needed. Adding more meats and fats can also keep one's body at a level and continuous body weight. Carbs just make for complications.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-12, 10:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia-b
How far into induction were you when you first posted? Sometimes in the first few days your energy can get pretty low...part of the "low carb flu" sometimes talked about.

In my first week or so I was having headaches which no amount of acetominophen or ibuprofen would take care of (and that's unusual for me). I finally attributed it to low blood sugar, so for a couple of days I allowed myself a couple of dried apricot halves, carefully including them into my daily carb count. They took care of the headaches. Since then, though, I can eat very low to zero carbs and not have a problem. I've read that we can have very low blood sugar and be ok with it, it just takes our bodies time to adjust to it.

Definitely the first week is the shakiest on a number of levels; getting the right amount of food each day and the right kinds. THen the effect on the body as it transitions-- it happened in the first 2 weeks. Very scary really. I sometimes feel like my body has been taken over and is acting oddly. Very upsetting really.

It is really about adjusting isn't it? Such amazing biochemistry. We are actually design ed to deal with times of low food intake and even starvation. OF COURSE, the most effective weight loss is SLOW weight loss so the body is not scared into thinking starvation, so save save save.

SLow and steady wins the race!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-12, 10:10

BF:

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR RESPONDING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU REALLY HELPED ME THINK IT THROUGH and it is not so scary any more; my body will adjust and it will be ok.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-12, 22:13
Registered Member

Plan: Stillman's
Stats: 249/155/114 Female 1.65
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
IT is crazy how screwed up our bodies are metabolically--even frustrating at times.

I do like the good nights sleep.

I read in the Power Protein book that over time our bodies can heal and not be so reactive; I would like to beleive this is true, though Atkins doesn't mention it. Will know in the years to come after I get to goal weight. THough technically, no carbs are needed. Adding more meats and fats can also keep one's body at a level and continuous body weight. Carbs just make for complications.

I'm pretty sure our bodies can become more sensitive to insulin. That's why people who have lost weight can often decrease or cease their medication, even if they are still eating carbs. Duken mentions that after a while of avoiding/limiting carbs, our bodies can respond better.

Here's hoping!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-12, 22:28

BF:

ReAlly,

I just read this too !

I'm not sure how to interpret this info.

If the body is more sensitive then, a sudden gorging for example could result in a very strong insulin effect, which means a strong drop in blood sugars.

OK. I can accept this. My body is healing AND adding carbs can be harmful if not carefully added into the diet.

Had the sleepies happen again. Oddly I could eat a sweet treat of splenda, peanut butter , cocoa and butter and not have it happen; rather the next day after eating a big pub burger with 2 slices of AMerican cheese.

My body is definitely changing; hard to keep up with managing it!!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-12, 00:20
Registered Member

Plan: Stillman's
Stats: 249/155/114 Female 1.65
BF:
Progress: 70%

Miss Arielle, I *think* this is how it goes:
-more sensitive to insulin = less insulin required to transport glucose into cells = less rollercoaster blood sugar levels = less crash
-less sensitive to insulin = more insulin required to transport glucose = more rollercoaster (and therefore more cravings, fatigue etc)

Maybe you got a bit tired because of the physical heaviness of the meal? If I have my usual turkey and salad for dinner, I have much more energy than if I had had a (much more enjoyable) bowl of low-carb, home-marinated chicken wings. But then again, I can only tolerate a little bit of fat, so maybe it's the fat content.

Hey, I just noticed we started at similar weights. Three years ago, I actually got down to about 160, but now back to this weight You've done so well - your goal is only 16 pounds away!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-12, 05:05

Plan: Paleo/Atkins
Stats: 206/179/130 Female 5'5.5''
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
-more sensitive to insulin = less insulin required to transport glucose into cells = less rollercoaster blood sugar levels = less crash
-less sensitive to insulin = more insulin required to transport glucose = more rollercoaster (and therefore more cravings, fatigue etc)

Just reading this thread for the first time and yes, that's how I understand it. I have PCOS and am diagnosed with insulin resistance and if I eat high carb I want to fall asleep (and can't really get enough sleep, I'm still groggy in the morning). I hate having the 2 hour glucose tolerance test because the insulin spike after the sugar drink makes me so tired and of course, sitting in the lab I can't go to bed
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-12, 16:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia-b
How far into induction were you when you first posted? Sometimes in the first few days your energy can get pretty low...part of the "low carb flu" sometimes talked about.

In my first week or so I was having headaches which no amount of acetominophen or ibuprofen would take care of (and that's unusual for me). I finally attributed it to low blood sugar, so for a couple of days I allowed myself a couple of dried apricot halves, carefully including them into my daily carb count. They took care of the headaches. Since then, though, I can eat very low to zero carbs and not have a problem. I've read that we can have very low blood sugar and be ok with it, it just takes our bodies time to adjust to it.

Sorry I missed your post!

I like how you thoughtfully handled the headache; you clearly recognized the cause and the solution was to increase the carbs a bit.

Your last sentence puzzles me. THe body works very hard to maintain the blood sugar with in a narrow margin;blood glucose that is too low leads to coma. But I do think our bodies do go thru adjustment, and is adapting to the new effects of the low carb diet. Just not sure of the details. LOL
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-12, 16:24

BF:

Quote:

Maybe you got a bit tired because of the physical heaviness of the meal? If I have my usual turkey and salad for dinner, I have much more energy than if I had had a (much more enjoyable) bowl of low-carb, home-marinated chicken wings. But then again, I can only tolerate a little bit of fat, so maybe it's the fat content.

Hey, I just noticed we started at similar weights. Three years ago, I actually got down to about 160, but now back to this weight You've done so well - your goal is only 16 pounds away!

I think you have it right on the insulin sensitivity. Perhaps at only a couple weeks into lc my body has not adjusted yet and the sensitivity to insulin has not occurred yet. I read lost night in Protein power, it is months of correct eating to alter the insulin sensitivity.

Isn't it nice to have someone else on the same journey pound for pound?? This is my first mini hurdle. THen two more hurdles. I needed smaller challenges. Whatever helps me get there!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-12, 16:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaBee2222
Just reading this thread for the first time and yes, that's how I understand it. I have PCOS and am diagnosed with insulin resistance and if I eat high carb I want to fall asleep (and can't really get enough sleep, I'm still groggy in the morning). I hate having the 2 hour glucose tolerance test because the insulin spike after the sugar drink makes me so tired and of course, sitting in the lab I can't go to bed

HOw long have you been low carbing?? have you seen any improvement in the sensitivity to insulin??

As I remember Atkins, once we are insulin resistant, we cannot go back. I'm so hoping I have this incorrect. Or that he was mistaken about this.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sun, Aug-12-12 at 16:47.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-12, 19:50
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

My DD eats very low carb and is diabetic (type 2), her doctor took her off of insulin last year and now she is off of Metformin as well.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-12, 20:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
As I remember Atkins, once we are insulin resistant, we cannot go back. I'm so hoping I have this incorrect. Or that he was mistaken about this.

This is very much an individual thing. Some lucky people who don't have other complicating issues can have their guts heal and regain a good deal of insulin sensitivity, so that the odd carb-heavy meal doesn't derail their food plan or cause extreme reactions. Others, and maybe the majority, continue to have hyperinsulemia and the resulting reactive hypoglycemia in response to more than a modest amount of carbs if the dietary change is the only one they make. I'd be curious to see the results of even an informal poll of people who've been low-carbing at least one year and are within 10% their goal weight about this question.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-12, 20:00

BF:

LIddie, I see you are at 214, I"m so envious. I'd like to hit that weight this week.

Thanks for the info on DD. SOme people can reclaim a better functioning system.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-12, 20:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
This is very much an individual thing. Some lucky people who don't have other complicating issues can have their guts heal and regain a good deal of insulin sensitivity, so that the odd carb-heavy meal doesn't derail their food plan or cause extreme reactions. Others, and maybe the majority, continue to have hyperinsulemia and the resulting reactive hypoglycemia in response to more than a modest amount of carbs if the dietary change is the only one they make. I'd be curious to see the results of even an informal poll of people who've been low-carbing at least one year and are within 10% their goal weight about this question.

To expand on this . . .

I was ready Protein POwer and they mentioned weeks and months. THe more overweight to start with, the longer for the new diet to have corrective effects.

I love the idea of your poll; does this forum have polls?
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-12, 04:03

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
does this forum have polls?

If you start a new thread just scroll down below the textbox before posting your text and right at the bottom there is an option for adding a poll.

I have never done this but it looks pretty straightforward to do.