Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 18:15

Plan: DirtyCarnivore/vlc Atkins
Stats: 181.2/125.0/123 Female 65
BF:34.6%/19.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase
I know on LC folks don't count calories, but I see little difference in the effort to count calories than to count carbs. I use the free MyFitnessPal app and website. It's a breeze.

Sometimes we do, even on Atkins. I wanted to see what effect increasing the percentage of fat would have. (even higher than I was eating on Atkins) I was surprised to see how few calories I consume when I'm consuming 65-72% fat or higher. It's actually pretty hard for me to get up to 1200 a day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 18:47

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hey great job so far!

I never feel guilty about a slice of rye bread. (In my case there is usually pastrami involved. Or Irish butter!) You might want to seek out a local kosher deli for the real deal!

Also, I like your "reverse" approach when it comes to carbs. I think that makes sense. After two years of low carb, I think the "induction" thing is nothing but a "lose weight quick gimmick." Probably to sell books. Whatever. Keep us posted!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 19:17

Plan: DirtyCarnivore/vlc Atkins
Stats: 181.2/125.0/123 Female 65
BF:34.6%/19.7%/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannone10
Also, I like your "reverse" approach when it comes to carbs. I think that makes sense. After two years of low carb, I think the "induction" thing is nothing but a "lose weight quick gimmick." Probably to sell books. Whatever. Keep us posted!

I'm reading some other weight loss books, and both that I've read so far have their own Induction, just by a different name. One is more strict in the first phase, and one is more lenient (than Atkins). I don't think it's a gimmick--I think even Atkins says you don't have to start with Induction, but you will get started losing right away and it's encouraging to see. Both of these other books give that as the reason--it's very motivating. They also all state that a lot of the initial weight will be water weight, as on most diets.

I'm fine with the reverse approach, btw. I started by just cutting back on carbs, then decided to go whole hog.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 09:57

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

I don't think it's a gimmick, here's why; many stay on induction and end up stalling. OR they remain on induction to control binging, swinging btw induction and overcarbing. So it's really not good for quick weight loss for the long term.
And swinging can't be good for the bod.

Atkins meant induction to get a quick control of cravings.

I don't think there are that many who get to 'normal' weight and maintain on extended induction....although, I know there are some, it's not the majority.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 10:43

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

So today I have 3 eggs with cheese and 3 strips of bacon and skipped the bread. But for lunch, in the usual place where they have grilled chicken or fish, they had bell peppers stuffed with quinona, and an ear of corn grilled.

Never had quinona, but I know it's a carb. But it was still the healthier of the options I had available. So, this was pretty much the opposite of a low car lunch. It happens. It was still a very healthy option given my choices.

This moment is what I had in mind when I decided to not go with Atkins, low carb this past spring. I knew I was traveling and my options for food were often not going to be under my control.

I'm tracking my calories, so I know the 428 calories this lunch had are not going to interfere with me losing weight. It was a healthy lunch, carbs or not.

I have to have a WOE that I can actually live with in my own version of the real world.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 18:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/174/170 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 94%

The very low carb part of Atkin's is just to get your body into ketosis...then we add more carbs in to find out what level we can continue to lose at and stay in ketosis...what you are doing is fine and you know it because you are losing at a good pace. For some of us however, those who are carb sensitive or prone to binging, it may not work. I liked the strictness of induction and the control it gave me over food at the time...I am a carb addict and I needed to go cold turkey to get clean of them.
I am glad however, that not everyone has to go through this induction thing because I would not wish having to go through carb withdrawal or any withdrawal on my worst enemy(well maybe my worst enemy haha)
Good luck and I wish you continued success, I hope by reading this you realize how jealous I am that you can do things backwards as you say and lose so well because I tried and I couldn't I just didn't have the willpower til I got clean through induction.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 21:15

BF:

Thanks Terry. There is more than one way to lose weight, and differences between people. It's been somewhat amusing to me, among WW folks to hear talk as if their way is the only way.

Then I listen to some of the low carb gurus and you'd think "calorie restriction doesn't work". Well, it's been working for me.

The sad truth is that all of the diets have a dismal success record....all of them. But have to do what I need to do...work out some way that works for me.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 05:40

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:

I agree that you need to find something which works for you. You can always tweak it later if you need to.

Most people who use this forum state that calories matter, and most of us monitor our calories, if only out of interest. While the majority of people lose better if they restrict calories, I seem to lose weight more easily if I make myself eat more.. but I have to be very strict about limiting carbs. I've seen plenty people on this forum who say that a more relaxed approach works for them.. Many of those who post to share their success on more liberal diets stop posting after a while, which is why you haven't had much encouragement with your strategy from like-minded people who reached their goal.. Maybe they "fell off the wagon" and maybe they simply didn't need the forum. Perhaps the regular posters here struggle more with weight-loss, so we need to be more accountable and look for inspiration and support.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Jul-20-12 at 05:46.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 07:23

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
Hi there, best of luck in finding what works for you.

It is possible to make bread from flax very easily and quickly.. and it's much more satisfying while not triggering over-eating. I tried this recipe, and I really liked it:

http://www.food.com/recipe/very-low...rger-bun-229625

I oven-baked mine at 380 degrees instead of microwaving it, and it turned out marvelous. Next time, I'll make more and freeze them.

I checked out the flax bread and was so surprised to see it was over 400 calories for one serving! This is one of the reasons I am sticking to JUDDD . I could not for the life of me figure out why I could not loose weight low carb, anymore. Then, I started to pay attention to calories and found out why!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 07:26
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Thanks Terry. There is more than one way to lose weight, and differences between people. It's been somewhat amusing to me, among WW folks to hear talk as if their way is the only way.

Then I listen to some of the low carb gurus and you'd think "calorie restriction doesn't work". Well, it's been working for me.

The sad truth is that all of the diets have a dismal success record....all of them. But have to do what I need to do...work out some way that works for me.

Its true, all diets have a dismal success record simply because we see them as a short term solution to a problem.
I am guilty of this and was a typical yo-yo dieter until 8 yrs ago. That, I was when I finally got it. What I got was that I had to teach myself a way to eat so that when I finally got the weight off, I would not revert back to my old bad eating behaviors. I did that as my lost my weight for almost 2 years.

I think this is one of the reasons that its so important to not stay on induction type of eating all the way to goal. There are more than one phase to these diets for a reason. I got that I had to create my food plan to include flavors and textures that would make me feel good about my food. I had to learn how to cook....and get my kitchen organized. Both were Herculean tasks for me...but once done, made this all much easier for me.

IMO, its also good for my metabolism to feed it some good starchier carbs. Some might not see it this way but I do.

As far as WW goes, I'm a total failure. Their entire point system is based in low fat dogma. I hated it and resisted even learning it. I wanted and needed to learn about the entire foods, not just how WW counted them in points. I didn't want to have to count carbs either so I chose SBD to use as my guide. I still have to count something and for me its become the amount starche and fruit servings I eat in a day. I also count the amount of cheese I eat and don't go over 2 ozs a day, 1-2 ozs of nuts per day, etc.

But bottom line is when we don't feel good about the way we are eating, we will revert back. I do not want to go back, not ever!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 07:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram
I checked out the flax bread and was so surprised to see it was over 400 calories for one serving! This is one of the reasons I am sticking to JUDDD . I could not for the life of me figure out why I could not loose weight low carb, anymore. Then, I started to pay attention to calories and found out why!

Calories do matter. Folks may not realize it, but low carb is also low calorie. Sure, you don't count calories and are told you can eat all you want....but folks don't eat that much meat and fat. If they do...they won't lose weight.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 12:09

Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Calories do matter. Folks may not realize it, but low carb is also low calorie. Sure, you don't count calories and are told you can eat all you want....but folks don't eat that much meat and fat. If they do...they won't lose weight.

My book doesn't say I can "eat all I want". I read it as to "eat until you are satisfied". That's an entirely different thing. I no longer eat until I'm stuffed. And it takes me much less to feel satisfied. If I'm eating out, I bring home what I don't eat for a meal the next day. Before, I stuffed it down.
Ruth
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 15:50

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I totally agree that we each need to do what will work for us with the ultimate goal, as Judy said, being that we can continue to do it for life so that we actually maintain the lost weight.

For me, I had to start with induction to quell the cravings and to get my blood sugar and other symptoms under control. No two ways about it. But on the other hand...I believe that it's extremely important to decide at some point (and not too close to goal) to complete the other phases of your chosen plan. I am happy to say that I have done that. With the exception of a couple of fruits and wheat/flour products I have added everything back in. I have been pleasantly surprised at what I can eat and the amount of carbs I can tolerate as I eased into maintenance.

Bread products (other than my homemade almond/coconut flour versions) have caused me wild cravings and gotten me off track so many times in the past that I simply choose not to eat them any more....cherries have done the same and so has maltitol. So I just stay away from them.

And at this point I no longer track anything except my weight. So I step on the scale every day and take action if needed. I did keep track continually while losing the weight, though. Now, if I found myself gaining and not being able to get it under control you can be sure that I would be tracking every morsel in My PLAN once again.

Again....we each need to do what will work for us to not only lose the weight, but to keep it off! (And admittedly, it took me three times around to figure that out for myself.)
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 06:38

Plan: Primal/whole 30
Stats: 208/179/158 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI 27,goal 25
Progress: 58%

I restarted in something similar but I would have never been able to eat just one slice of rye, I love it way too much! Lol then I gradually got stricter to where I am eating on the whole30 plan. If you had asked me a month ago, I wouldn't have been able to follow it, too strict. But huge difference in my cravings on it.

Whatever works for your body though. Some people process grains and gluten much better and feel better,lose better in a moderate amount of them. Sadly I not one of them.

Great job on your progress so far! Thinking of it as a total lifestyle change and not a diet with an end point is what helps you stay on it and no regain. It has taken me a few years and regains to finally truly come to terms with it and my food addictions.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 06:32

BF:

Verdict is in...-2.8lbs this week. My carbs were 31%, fat 51%, protein 18%. In May of this year my carbs were over 40% (I wasn't trying for low carb at the time).