Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 14:03

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
Costello22, that's 1.5–2.5g protein per kilogram of reference weight, not pound of reference weight. Divide 102–170 by 2.2 (the conversion factor for lbs to kg), and you get 46–77 g protein/day, which overlaps with the other recommendations.

Yes, I understood that.

150 lb / 2.2 = 68 kg

68 kg X 1.5 = 102 g of protein

68 kg X 2.5 = 170 g of protein
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 00:13

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

I haven't calculated my lean body mass in a while, because the scale at our house is broken and I had been using a weight/measurements sort of equation.

But this morning, day four, my ketones are down to 0.3 for some reason... I should get going on my calculations (have to remember to buy a new lithium battery for the scale). I think the peanuts I had at lunch yesterday may have been responsible...
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 05:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
I haven't calculated my lean body mass in a while, because the scale at our house is broken and I had been using a weight/measurements sort of equation.

But this morning, day four, my ketones are down to 0.3 for some reason... I should get going on my calculations (have to remember to buy a new lithium battery for the scale). I think the peanuts I had at lunch yesterday may have been responsible...

Wish I could afford one of those meters. It would be great to have that kind of feedback. I was thinking maybe next month, but now it's looking like I'll have a vet bill next month.

Oh, well. I was down almost 2 pounds this morning.
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 07:01

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

That's amazing Costello! Hope your pet is okay though. I'll try to get a battery for my scale today, but I made sure to take my measurements on day two, just for reference. At the end of the month, they may well have changed. I do know I feel a bit slimmer, but that could just be wishful thinking.
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 11:45

Plan: Ketogenic + IF
Stats: 240/194/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I did between 15 - 25 grams of carbs and 60 - 75 grams of protien for a week and I lost just over 4 pounds. Seems to be working for me too!
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 12:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoreyTK
I did between 15 - 25 grams of carbs and 60 - 75 grams of protien for a week and I lost just over 4 pounds. Seems to be working for me too!

That's good news. Were you already low carbing before?
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 12:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Hope your pet is okay though.

She seems to have an allergy. She's been going crazy scratching the last month or so, and yesterday she managed to make a sore on her hip. I'm hoping it's a food allergy. Starting an elimination diet today. Maybe we can avoid the vet - and vet bills!
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 13:49
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
She seems to have an allergy. She's been going crazy scratching the last month or so, and yesterday she managed to make a sore on her hip. I'm hoping it's a food allergy. Starting an elimination diet today. Maybe we can avoid the vet - and vet bills!

You can use tea tree oil on that hot spot.
Also, I feed a hypo allergenic food by Natural Balance, chicken and sweet potato kibble, no grain!
Has your dog been outside a lot, any flea bites? Some dog are highly allergic to flea bites. Look at her belly for a rash.
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 15:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The company that makes Natural Balance has a lot of contamination issues with their foods. I stopped feeding them to my cats, especially as one got a urinary issue on it.

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 15:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
You can use tea tree oil on that hot spot.
Also, I feed a hypo allergenic food by Natural Balance, chicken and sweet potato kibble, no grain!
Has your dog been outside a lot, any flea bites? Some dog are highly allergic to flea bites. Look at her belly for a rash.

Someone else suggested tea tree oil today. Not sure where to buy it.

There are no fleas. That was my first thought, but I couldn't turn up a single flea despite repeated efforts.
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 15:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

#87   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 15:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The company that makes Natural Balance has a lot of contamination issues with their foods. I stopped feeding them to my cats, especially as one got a urinary issue on it.

I was feeding her this stuff for years:

http://www.mrchewy.com/natures-vari...kibble/dp/29615 (Nature's Domain Prairie kibble)

There are four flavors which I rotated through: chicken meal and brown rice; lamb meal and oatmeal; venison meal and millet; and beef and barley.

Then three months ago I switched to a cheaper food: http://www.naturesdomainpetfood.com/ (Nature's Domain Grain-Free Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Dog Food)

Funny how they all have 'nature' in their names!

So, she started acting funny. Like she had no energy. Didn't like to walk down the stairs or jump into the car. First I thought arthritis, but she didn't seem to be in pain. Her energy didn't come back, and they were even noticing it at doggy day care, so I switched back to the Nature's Domain which she'd eaten for years. I picked the lamb and oatmeal. Within days she was scratching.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 16:26
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Its not all of their foods and I've have not had an issue with their dog foods.
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 16:29
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
I was feeding her this stuff for years:

http://www.mrchewy.com/natures-vari...kibble/dp/29615 (Nature's Domain Prairie kibble)

There are four flavors which I rotated through: chicken meal and brown rice; lamb meal and oatmeal; venison meal and millet; and beef and barley.

Then three months ago I switched to a cheaper food: http://www.naturesdomainpetfood.com/ (Nature's Domain Grain-Free Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Dog Food)

Funny how they all have 'nature' in their names!

So, she started acting funny. Like she had no energy. Didn't like to walk down the stairs or jump into the car. First I thought arthritis, but she didn't seem to be in pain. Her energy didn't come back, and they were even noticing it at doggy day care, so I switched back to the Nature's Domain which she'd eaten for years. I picked the lamb and oatmeal. Within days she was scratching.

Please get her off that lamb/oatmeal food. Can you get her back on the other one?
Tea tree oil can be found in a local health food store. You can also give her Benadryl or generic, depending on her weight, 25 mgs for a 20-40 lbs dog for the itching.
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 17:04

Plan: Ketogenic + IF
Stats: 240/194/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
That's good news. Were you already low carbing before?

I've been doing Atkins since August 2010.