Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 07:31
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
This is what I don't understand, and what, I suppose, is the reason behind "headveg" deleting critical comments on the video. I've seen so many biased dietary studies and can't understand why researchers seem to be looking to reinforce their preconceived notions rather than looking for the truth. It's food! I completely understand your own sensitivity to being told you're wrong, but not why others feel a need to tell you you're wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong about this but I think that his (durianrider) video was in direct response to last week's JAMA study showing how low carb diets performed better than low fat. It was his way of having a temper tantrum. Big baby that he is. sticking his fingers in his ears.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 07:42

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

That video...........

Thanks for the giggles Happy.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 17:56

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

1. Since eating high-carb makes my eyes bulge out and my vision blur and my blood glucose to go from just-barely-pre-D levels to Downright Durned Scary, and puts me down on the couch with crippling fatigue yet, oddly, with a frightening racing heartbeat, I guess I'm just forced to be a "fat" person, then. Oh well. Fat, but alive and not blind, and conscious, with a normal heartbeat. I'll take it.

2. This may be neither here nor there, and I mean no offense to vegans in general, but why have I never, ever, ever, ever, ever seen a vegan + low-fat "guru" who looks happy? Why do they always have very long, very drawn faces and even when they're smiling they look like they're looking out of miserable eyes? Maybe this is my perception, but I think I'll take happy and satisfied over presumably "healthy", drawn and on the verge of tears all the time. (Again. This is just MY perception.)

I'm not being ugly, here. I'm being 100% honest and am stating my own experiences and observances. I'd rather live my life, and feel and be MEASURABLY healthy/healthier (and I am, by far), than be skinny, staring out of hollow eyes, mostly asleep or swinging to extreme anxiety due to lots of carbs/carb crash, and bleating about how I'm sure I'll eventually live 10 years longer than the next person (with no proof of that).

To each his or her own.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 18:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC

I'm not trying to be mean, and I personally understand the ups and downs of weightloss. It's just that the prominent low-fat vegans really do seem to be quite slender, while the lowcarbers are, at the very least, struggling.

Well, but doesn't that only make sense? It takes soooooooooo much veggie (and a smaller amount of most fruits, but still quite a bit) to build up a bunch of calories.

Who's to say that's "healthier"? Eating more compact calories, like it or not, does seem to have enabled our brain sizes to increase, enabled us to physically grow larger, etc. (per a great deal of anthropologists past and present alike). How does just "being skinny" mean health?

I mean look at some of those people. They're grey.

If they feel healthy, good for them. If blood tests (including metabolic) read well for them, then, even better. But just being skinny -- forget "lean" -- at any cost, is far from a guarantee of health.

Getting back to my first point about fat v. frighteningly scrawny, pale and hollow-eyed (sorry, fat v. "lean") pictures: frankly, if I were to gain 10 lbs. over the next month eating contrary to what I believe is healthy, I could easily lose it within 1.5 - 2 weeks by eating "just veggies," particularly if I very much limited the starchy ones. So it would be no trick at all for any of these veggies to have gotten a bit of a paunch, then went into a week's hiding with the juicer. Anybody can do that. I'm a perimenopausal 45-year-old thyroid impaired inactive woman and could do it -- I have, and in recent years at that.

Last edited by Glendora : Thu, Jul-05-12 at 18:17.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 18:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
All my comments on the video were removed today. Many others were removed as well. In fact, there's 8 pages of removed comments. Also, I just tried to post a comment about that but I got this instead: "You have been blocked by the owner of this video." So be warned, don't waste your time.

Geez. This speaks volumes.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 13:09

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonRose
I personally gained weight as a vegetarian, and got rather sick.

I gained 50 pounds in my four years eating a vegan diet. I haven't been able to get back to anything like a normal weight since then. It ruined me.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 13:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio1996
Most of the vegans in that video looked sickly skinny to me and none of the "low-carb gurus" looked what I would consider to be "fat," ...)

That was my reaction too. The low carbers look healthier. And I'd trade weights with any of the low carbers pictured there.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 13:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
All my comments on the video were removed today. Many others were removed as well. In fact, there's 8 pages of removed comments. Also, I just tried to post a comment about that but I got this instead: "You have been blocked by the owner of this video." So be warned, don't waste your time.

I started to glance through the comments. When I saw that everyone seemed to be in agreement with the video, I figured they were pulling any critical comments, so I just stopped reading. It's clear from the video they're not interested in facts or discussion.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 16:25

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Anyway, such leaness could well be lethal...

Recent reports are saying nowadays after a certain age you NEED and SHOULD have an extra 10-15 lbs to protect your body against illness, cancer treatments, hospitals stays, etc. People with that extra "cushion" tend to survive these things better than those who are skinny... uh.... "lean."

ETA: Just saw this blog article in Mark's Daily Apple on four success stories, Where Are They Now?, a year or more later...

Last edited by Sagehill : Fri, Jul-06-12 at 16:38.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-12, 04:48

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

HappyLC, thanks for posting this. It is compelling, I must admit. I recently came from the very low-fat vegan diets that many of the vegan doctors in the video advocate and I've read most of their books. I've also read some of the low carb doctors' books, though not all of them.

A few things came to my mind when I saw it, both good and bad:
- I have to admit that pictures do speak a thousand words here (for me, at least).
- The video was made by VegSource, a very prominent vegetarian-related organization. So it's a sure bet that their aim was not to show the low carb doctors in a good light to begin with.
- Having said that, as a few mentioned here, I also don't think the term "fat" refers to many of the LC doctors I saw in the video. The pictures are not super-thin, sure, but I might venture to call many of them no more than overweight, and some even slightly overweight. It's not as if these doctors are completely obese.
- Some have claimed here that we don't know who started out think and who didn't and that many of the LC doctors were overweight when they started while probably many of he vegan doctors were not. I don't know how much of this is true, but I do know that Dr. McDougall mentions in his new book "The Starch Solution" that he WAS overweight in his 20's - about 50 pounds. He also mentions some significant health issues, like having had a stroke at a very early age (I think it was even in college).
- As you mentioned, HappyLC, many of the studies quoted where LC won out did not test a vegan diet and not the kind of ultra low-fat vegan diet that the doctors in the video advocate. We're talking a diet of less than 10% of calories from low fat. You could easily say that a study that shows that a low carb diet doesn't win out wasn't testing a true low carb diet if it was using a carb range that was higher then Atkins Induction. Sometimes, this can make a difference.

Ultimately, I'm not saying one is better than the other. I think it's an individual matter. Some people do well on the ultra low fat vegan diet and some do not. Some do well on the low carb diet and some do not.

Tam
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-12, 05:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Comparing a former obese, metabolically challenged person on low carb, with a non-metabolically changelled, low fat vegan in the weight maintaining stakes is truly unfair - they don't have the same issues, they didn't start from the same place.

Lee

Lee, I actually just addressed a little of this. It's not quite true that all of the vegan doctors were never metabolically challenged or overweight when they started. For example, Dr. McDougall writes in his new book that he was 50 pounds overweight in his 20's when he started his journey to medical school and investigating nutrition and health. He also had had prior to that (I think in his teens) some very serious health issues, such as a stroke.

I can't vouch for the other vegan doctors, but I don't think we can say that they never had weight or health issues so they were starting from 0.

Tam
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-12, 05:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora
2. This may be neither here nor there, and I mean no offense to vegans in general, but why have I never, ever, ever, ever, ever seen a vegan + low-fat "guru" who looks happy? Why do they always have very long, very drawn faces and even when they're smiling they look like they're looking out of miserable eyes? Maybe this is my perception, but I think I'll take happy and satisfied over presumably "healthy", drawn and on the verge of tears all the time. (Again. This is just MY perception.)

Actually, when you view some of Dr. McDougall's videos from lectures he does at conferences, he is quite happy and upbeat. There is also a lecture that Dr. Barnard did for PBS about diabetes that you can view on the PBS website (at least you could at some point) and he is also quite happy and upbeat.

Just putting it out there .

Tam
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-12, 05:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora
Well, but doesn't that only make sense? It takes soooooooooo much veggie (and a smaller amount of most fruits, but still quite a bit) to build up a bunch of calories.

Who's to say that's "healthier"? Eating more compact calories, like it or not, does seem to have enabled our brain sizes to increase, enabled us to physically grow larger, etc. (per a great deal of anthropologists past and present alike). How does just "being skinny" mean health?

I mean look at some of those people. They're grey.

If they feel healthy, good for them. If blood tests (including metabolic) read well for them, then, even better. But just being skinny -- forget "lean" -- at any cost, is far from a guarantee of health.

Getting back to my first point about fat v. frighteningly scrawny, pale and hollow-eyed (sorry, fat v. "lean") pictures: frankly, if I were to gain 10 lbs. over the next month eating contrary to what I believe is healthy, I could easily lose it within 1.5 - 2 weeks by eating "just veggies," particularly if I very much limited the starchy ones. So it would be no trick at all for any of these veggies to have gotten a bit of a paunch, then went into a week's hiding with the juicer. Anybody can do that. I'm a perimenopausal 45-year-old thyroid impaired inactive woman and could do it -- I have, and in recent years at that.

This post seems to make the assumption that vegans eat only vegetables, or primarily vegetables. But the diets that many of the vegan doctors in the video advocate is actually not necessarily high vegetable (Dr. Furhman's is, but his is the exception). They are high-starch and very low fat. For example, Dr. McDougall's diet consists of mainly starch (which includes beans) with vegetables and fruits as side dishes. He doesn't necessarily disallow any fat (at least, in his new book) - he just says to keep oils out of the diet and fatty plant foods like avocado and olives as now-and-then treats. Dr. Barnard's approach also advocates whole grains and beans with vegetables and fruits (his PCRM website mentions the "Power Plate", which consists of whole grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables in equal amounts on your plate.

So we're not talking here about a "vegetable only" diet.

Tam
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-12, 05:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehill
ETA: Just saw this blog article in Mark's Daily Apple on four success stories, Where Are They Now?, a year or more later...

I don't know much about Mark's plan, but the stories are pretty impressive.

However, if you go to the McDougall website and forums, you can also find quite a few people who have had the same experience - lost a lot of weight, improve their health on the low fat vegan diet and are still today maintaining their health and weight.

I guess the point is that any diet will work for someone who can stick with it and who feels it is right for them. We are all different and what works for one person might not work for another. So there's no right or wrong diet .

Tam
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-12, 06:45

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm glad it works for you! It doesn't for me.

I've done the vegan/vegetarian/piscatarian/ovolactate things in my looooooooong history of dieting, and did not feel well any of those times.
Some people require animal fats and meat in their diets to feel well, both psychologically and physically.

I'm one.