Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-12, 18:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Quick rhubarb Crumble

I've been kinda hankering after rhubarb crumble, so I had a shot at making one with coconut flour.. Using the coconut flour and oats, it's more suitable for Atkins at maintenance level, or other diets which allow grains and slightly higher carbs.

I just threw everything in without measuring, so I hope these quantities work for everyone else:

Serves 1.

1 stalk of rhubarb
stevia (or other sweetener) to taste
1/2 tsp ginger or more
a little water

1 tsp coconut oil or butter
1 dsp coconut flour
1 dsp rolled oats
1/4 tsp cinnamon or more (vanilla or a different spice would be fine too)
pinch stevia

Lightly stew the rhubarb, ginger, water and a little stevia or other sweetener. Meantime, melt the coconut oil in a pan, add the coconut flour, oats, cinnamon and a little stevia, and mix it all well. Put the rhubarb into a dessert bowl, top with the crumble mix, then serve immediately with cream or similar. I hope you enjoy it.

Approximate counts:

10g carb, 2.3 protein, 15 fat, 4 fiber, 167 calories.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Mon, Jun-11-12 at 06:59.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-12, 02:40

Plan: sort ofatkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5;6
BF:
Progress: 94%

Thanks this is also what i have wanted over the last 2 weeks,i bought the rhubarb but i cant seem to find anywhere that sells almond or coconut flour.I would like to use almond flour s apposed coconut.I think you live in the uk and was wondering where you get yours from?Ive tried allmajor supermarkets and the health food shop,but they dont have it,,Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-12, 06:56

Stats: 165/116/110 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I make my own almond meal. It's a little coarser than store-bought almond flour, but also much cheaper. I get 3 lb packages of whole roasted skin-on almonds at Sam's Club for around $9.00.

I just grind it in a food processor. Scrape it down a few times and continue to grind. It doesn't take too long. Don't grind too much - you might end up with almnd butter!

Then I freeze it in a container until needed.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-12, 07:32

BF:

wow that a good price..i did by almond flakes and do that but i thought the flour may be lighter,,i will try whole almonds and grind it for longer..thanks..
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-12, 17:40

BF:

You can buy finely ground almonds in the baking section of supermarkets. Asda's are £1.52 for 150g:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-esto...equestid=188716

It would be fresher and possibly more nutritious if you ground it fresh though.

I bought this coconut flour:

http://www.tiana-coconut.com/coconut_flour.htm

It's £5.99. You'd probably get a cheaper coconut flour online, or you might find it in an Indian supermarket. There's an Indian cash and carry / supermarket near me, and they stock big bags of almonds, coconut flour and all sorts.

The almond meal might actually be nicer than coconut flour. The coconut flour is dense and dry, but eaten along with the oats, cream and juicy rhubarb, it's great.

I have realised that the topping doesn't really need the stevia and cinnamon, so now, I just use the coconut flour, oats and coconut oil. Served with generous cream, it is a really great treat, and only takes a minute to make.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Jun-15-12 at 04:41.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-12, 10:14

BF:

Thanks..Ive had a cooking day today so made this..stewed the rhubarb(2 stalks) with sweetner and ginger.Then for the topping used almond flour with oats(i suzzed them and made them finer,added butter and it was just as good as other crumble mixes,baked them in little muffin cases so it gave 3 little rhbarb crumbles.had whipped cream ,,simply lovely..thanks again,would not have added the oats but they really added to it..
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 15:29

BF:

I'm glad you enjoyed it.. but try it without baking it - I don't bake mine. Rolled oats, almonds and coconut flour are lovely with no cooking. I just make it in about a minute, then eat it straight away

When I stew the rhubarb, I put enough water in to make plenty of juice, which cuts down on the amount of cream I serve with it.