This recipe is an electrolyte powerhouse. A 1-cup serving* has the following minerals:
- Ca: 188 mg.
- Mg: 124 mg.
- K: 1013 mg.
- Na: 390 mg.
3 lb fresh spinach, chopped rough OR frozen, chopped
3 med turnips, diced (opt.)
6–12 mushrooms, crimini, quartered
1/2–1 lg onion, diced
2 ea chilis, red, diced or ½-1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2-in pc ginger, fresh root
6 cloves garlic, diced/crushed
3 C Water (if using fresh spinach)
1 C Yogurt, plain
¼ C Ghee/butter
1 TB garam masala
2 TB Lemon juice
1 tsp salt
6-qt., covered pot
measuring cup, 1C.
fork/potato masher (if using turnips)
1. If you're using fresh spincah, heat 3 cups of water in the covered pot. While waiting, chop the spinach and cube the turnips, if applicable.
2. Lightly boil turnips for 5 minutes, if applicable; then add chopped spinach. After five more minutes, add mushrooms and cook final 5 minutes. If using frozen, chopped spinach, boil the turnips separately, and use a steamer basket for the spinach. Steam the spinach for 10 minutes, and then add mushrooms for a total 15 minutes total.
3. While the vegetables cook, chop the onions, dice the chili peppers (remove seeds first), grate and chop the ginger, and crush/dice the garlic.
4. Drain vegetables in colander.
5. Press out extra water, and mash the turnips slightly.
6. Rinse and dry the pot, and heat the ghee over Med-High heat.
7. Add mustard seeds and cover. After the mustard seeds' popping slows, add onion, garlic, & ginger. Stir and brown onions until they're translucent.
8. Add 1 TB water, turmeric, chili pepper, garam masala, and salt, stir for two min.
9. Stir in the mashed vegetables. Reduce heat to Medium.
10. Stir in the lemon juice. Stir in the yoghurt.
11. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, to reduce the extra liquid, if necessary.
*using 1/2 a lg. onion, 10 mushrooms, and no turnips