Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-12, 23:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/219/145 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Plantar fasciitis

I have severe plantar fasciitis in both heels and although I don't know if the extra weight caused it, I would assume it certainly aggravates it. Has anyone with PF noticed improvement with weight loss? If so, how quickly?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 07:45
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!

My PF went away when I exclusively wore only trainers with a really cushioned heel for about 6 months - even at home. Worked like a charm and I haven't had any issues for about 9 or 10 years. I didn't lose any weight in order for the PF to go away.

Lee
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 10:41

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I had PF all the time when I weighed 180+ and rarely got it after losing ~30 lbs. But still get it once in a while when I wear shoes or boots that I haven't worn for months. Even a 1/4" difference in heel height can cause my PF to return. So I need to switch shoes frequently or not at all.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 10:59

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I had PF 25 years ago. I went to a podiatrist, did a regimen of heat and ice, NSAIDs, kept it my feet relatively rested for a period of time, and was prescribed orthotics, which lifted my heel and correctly my biomechanics. The combination has kept me pretty much symptom free since then.

I weigh about the same now as I did when I had PF and gained perhaps 30 lbs in that interim, with no real increase in symptoms.

Losing weight never hurts, but it is quite likely you will need additional intervention. Resting the inflamed tissue is really important. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 11:20

BF:

Sadly, Over two years now I've done all the things usually prescribed to no avail so I'm hoping losing a bit will help.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 11:28

Plan: Atkins/HcG
Stats: 211/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I've been dealing with a LOT of pain since last October. Went to the podiatrist earlier this month and was told I have PF AND a heel spur. Dr gave me heel cushions for my shoes (which I already had but they think theirs is better ) and a splint (more like a frickin boot) that I have to wear at night. I have a hard time wearing the boot through the night...just don't like anything strapped to the tops of my feet. Not much change, still hurts like a SOB. Aleve doesn't relieve the pain either. Of course, it doesn't help that shoes are not my best friends

Checked out the website regarding PF and they recommend resting the affected foot and not walking on concrete. Well, I've worked in a concrete building for 30+ years....don't think that's going to change anytime too soon. I don't believe losing weight will help since I'd lost over 45 pounds before I got PF. Guess it's just old age
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 12:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/246/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I've had it since 2005 when I had a massive foot operation. The foot operation healed fine but got PT in exchange for all the time in a cast. Physical therapists not addressing. Nothing helps it, not even the weight I've lost. Rolling a small can or back massage under the foot give blessed temporary relief. I wear some nice New Balance shows and don't do a lot of walking, stay at home. Go figure.

I looked at the Mayo Clinic's site about it and they really had no guaranteed options either. The options are PT, Orthotic arch supports which I had done and should continue, Night splints which I haven't done, or Surgery with weakening the arch, so that seems worthless.

Last edited by kayekaye12 : Mon, Apr-30-12 at 13:11.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 17:23

Plan: Back to Atkins Induction
Stats: 276/213/146 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I had it in one foot and it resolved fairly soon after we started low carbing. Sorry, I can't remember how long it took. It's been gone for a year or so and just came back the last few weeks. And, my ds10 has it also, this is my normal weight active kid! I bought otc heel cushions for him and it's helped a lot. I've just toughed it out, I do stretch my heel out before I get up from sitting or when I get up in the morning, that seems to help a lot.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 17:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had all kinds of issues with PF and various other aches and pains go away when I went Paleo. It's worth a try!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 18:00

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

What about going barefoot? It can take some getting used to since it really works the body in ways it isn't used to, but has been found to help a lot of lower extremity problems as it greatly strengthens the feet/ankles and forces the body to walk with a more natural gait. (I don't have PF, but I am a barefooter )
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 22:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish
What about going barefoot? It can take some getting used to since it really works the body in ways it isn't used to, but has been found to help a lot of lower extremity problems as it greatly strengthens the feet/ankles and forces the body to walk with a more natural gait. (I don't have PF, but I am a barefooter )

Thanks for the reply but barefoot is the absolute worst thing you can do for PF.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 23:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/246/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Yes I was also told barefoot was bad for PF. And indoors because of the hard surface. Now walking on the ocean beach I'm told is good for it because it stretches the muscles. But I'm landlocked in the frozen tundra (it seems) for most of the year.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-01-12, 04:50
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc4good
Thanks for the reply but barefoot is the absolute worst thing you can do for PF.

Absolutely, at first I didn't realise that I was supposed to be wearing the trainers with the cushioned heel (sneakers), all of the time, and was still going barefoot at home. Once I was wearing the trainers at all times apart from when I was lying in bed, things started to improve and eventually resolve - it does take perserverance though, and doesn't immediately resolve. For me it took 6 months of the regimen before I could call myself cured.

Lee
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-01-12, 04:55

Plan: Atkins/HcG
Stats: 211/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Absolutely, at first I didn't realise that I was supposed to be wearing the trainers with the cushioned heel (sneakers), all of the time, and was still going barefoot at home. Once I was wearing the trainers at all times apart from when I was lying in bed, things started to improve and eventually resolve - it does take perserverance though, and doesn't immediately resolve. For me it took 6 months of the regimen before I could call myself cured.

Lee

Geez, the thought of wearing sneakers for 6 months straight when it's only May is verrrry depressing. I don't normally wear anything other than flip flops from May through September!

Last night was the first night in a month that I've been able to keep that boot on all night. Doing the stretches helps too but you have to be very persistant is doing them at least 6 x per day to do any good.

I think I could handle the PF better if I didn't have that darn spur
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-01-12, 05:01
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyW
Geez, the thought of wearing sneakers for 6 months straight when it's only May is verrrry depressing. I don't normally wear anything other than flip flops from May through September!

Its not so bad now as you can buy sandals with a cushioned, sneaker-like sole for summer wear.

Lee