Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-12, 09:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
I seem to remember when I read the regs that it was also about offering individualised assessments and an eating plan. I think there's considered to be a difference in writing a blog saying 'this is how I treat my diabetes, I think all diabetics should follow this plan for the good of their health', and taking an individual and 'assessing' them without 'qualifications'.

Now we know that an individual assessment could be as simple as 'your fasting blood sugar is x, how about eating these foods to try to get it down to y', but they seem to be finicky about individual advice particularly when it involves ill health.

Lee

Exactly Lee!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-12, 12:27

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

If it's about making money, I don't see a problem with that. Everybody's gotta pay the rent. I don't think that's the real complaint. The real complaint comes from somebody who's taken the tests and gotten their license, and sees some guy on the net who does the same thing without having jumped through the hoops. These hoops come with shackles apparently. Somebody with the license to dish out nutritional advice in NC apparently can't give out advice that is contrary to the conventional dogma, i.e. low fat high carb. Even if that contrary advice gets the job done anyway. So basically, if Steve jumped through all the hoops and got his license, he still couldn't do what he's been doing. And if he did, he'd be even more liable because a license says he should know better. That's basically what's going on with doctors. They can't prescribe drugs or treatments that are not officially accepted because of the liability in case the patient gets worse or dies. On the other hand, a doctor can still try a different treatment as a case study and progress is made this way. Maybe that's how Steve could do it. Get his license, try a different contrary advice, report on the results. If there's a complaint, present this report.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 04:57

BF:

On Steve's blog, one comment mentioned the free traffic that the complaint gave Steve. It's ironic. Instead of shutting him up, it's given him a louder voice.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 05:17

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
If it's about making money, I don't see a problem with that. Everybody's gotta pay the rent. I don't think that's the real complaint. The real complaint comes from somebody who's taken the tests and gotten their license, and sees some guy on the net who does the same thing without having jumped through the hoops. These hoops come with shackles apparently. Somebody with the license to dish out nutritional advice in NC apparently can't give out advice that is contrary to the conventional dogma, i.e. low fat high carb. Even if that contrary advice gets the job done anyway. So basically, if Steve jumped through all the hoops and got his license, he still couldn't do what he's been doing. And if he did, he'd be even more liable because a license says he should know better. That's basically what's going on with doctors. They can't prescribe drugs or treatments that are not officially accepted because of the liability in case the patient gets worse or dies. On the other hand, a doctor can still try a different treatment as a case study and progress is made this way. Maybe that's how Steve could do it. Get his license, try a different contrary advice, report on the results. If there's a complaint, present this report.

Where do you get this information (the bolded part) from?
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 05:44

BF:

Speculation on my part.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 05:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The issue is bigger than just NC and Steve Cooksey. The ADA is lobbying to further restrict nutrional counseling and this Forbes article is a good review of the situation on a national basis. In this article, there is another example where the NC board tried to restrict a person who had credentials, so she moved to another state:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...ic-association/

More on her case here: http://www.lizappeal.com/index.html

She has published two books on digestive health, and they certainly lean toward a Paleo, whole foods, low carb natural diet to heal gut issues. You can read her own analysis of reasons the NC board denied her the right to practice nutritional counseling.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Apr-30-12 at 05:59.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, May-01-12, 17:41

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
On Steve's blog, one comment mentioned the free traffic that the complaint gave Steve. It's ironic. Instead of shutting him up, it's given him a louder voice.

This is commonly referred to as The Streisand Effect
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-04-12, 14:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/121/121 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It is very disheartening to see how the state of North Carolina is allowed to censor Steve Cooksey's First Amendment right to freedom of speech. His willingness to share with others what has so dramatically improved his life should be applauded, not restrained. Diabetes, in this country, is out of control. Many with diabetes, heart disease, cancer, as well as obesity are being harmed by the government's "protection" of grain industries. Those of us who are aware of the health benefits of a low-carb lifestyle need to do everything we can to spread the word.

Ida (co-author of Thin and Thinner)
  #24   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 20:43

Quote:
Whether that regulation would stand up in court - well, that's an expensive battle to fight. It's a battle that *should* be fought - with the right case.

If Cooksey continues to post blog entries about his preferred WOE, with details, and the State pursues him, I'll be curious to see if he pushes back. Personally - I probably would push back at that point.

Whoa! Steve has decided to do way more than just push back. He is suing the NC Dietetics Board in federal court, with the assistance of the Institute of Justice.
The details explained and background summarized on Richard Nikoley's blog:
http://freetheanimal.com/2012/05/st...ree-speech.html
The lead attorney, Jeff Rowes, explains the issues well in the Skype interview, their case overview is also on You Tube.

As mentioned in my previous post, this case has a wider application than just NC and nutrition bloggers. The Forbes article focussed on the nutrition aspect also but the attorney explains its wider free speech implications for Internet advice on other topics. I think back to all the information I have learned over the past two years about managing my diet and health from citizen bloggers who would be silenced by expanding and enforcing new laws, so plan to follow this case and lend support as possible.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-31-12 at 03:16.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 07:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/260/180 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Blogger: State Agency Censored Online Health Food Advice Column

#26   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 07:58

I posted the lawsuit details and a good interview with the attorney last night at this thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=441831
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 10:06

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Keep us up to date - thanks
  #28   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 21:29

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Pretty interesting since NC is where Dr. Eric Westman practices--within the Duke Lifestyle Clinic, no less.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 06:50

Duke....home of the Rice Diet and Structure House! Dr. Westman is a professor and researcher, his outpatient clinic program is an outlier even at Duke...literally not even near the main hospital. The Dietician Board is trying to protect its RD membership by controlling nutrition information throughout the state..nothing to do with research doctors.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 00:54

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Dr Briffa has also posted an article in his blog on this subject:

US blogger sues dietetic body for ‘attempting to curtail his freedom of speech’
http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/05/30/...edom-of-speech/