Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-12, 07:52
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default How Exercise Could Lead to a Better Brain

How Exercise Could Lead to a Better Brain

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/m...n.html?_r=2&hpw

By GRETCHEN REYNOLDS

Published: April 18, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds
The value of mental-training games may be speculative, as Dan Hurley writes in his article on the quest to make ourselves smarter, but there is another, easy-to-achieve, scientifically proven way to make yourself smarter. Go for a walk or a swim. For more than a decade, neuroscientists and physiologists have been gathering evidence of the beneficial relationship between exercise and brainpower. But the newest findings make it clear that this isn’t just a relationship; it is the relationship. Using sophisticated technologies to examine the workings of individual neurons — and the makeup of brain matter itself — scientists in just the past few months have discovered that exercise appears to build a brain that resists physical shrinkage and enhance cognitive flexibility. Exercise, the latest neuroscience suggests, does more to bolster thinking than thinking does.
The most persuasive evidence comes from several new studies of lab animals living in busy, exciting cages. It has long been known that so-called “enriched” environments — homes filled with toys and engaging, novel tasks — lead to improvements in the brainpower of lab animals. In most instances, such environmental enrichment also includes a running wheel, because mice and rats generally enjoy running. Until recently, there was little research done to tease out the particular effects of running versus those of playing with new toys or engaging the mind in other ways that don’t increase the heart rate.

So, last year a team of researchers led by Justin S. Rhodes, a psychology professor at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at the University of Illinois, gathered four groups of mice and set them into four distinct living arrangements. One group lived in a world of sensual and gustatory plenty, dining on nuts, fruits and cheeses, their food occasionally dusted with cinnamon, all of it washed down with variously flavored waters. Their “beds” were colorful plastic igloos occupying one corner of the cage. Neon-hued balls, plastic tunnels, nibble-able blocks, mirrors and seesaws filled other parts of the cage. Group 2 had access to all of these pleasures, plus they had small disc-shaped running wheels in their cages. A third group’s cages held no embellishments, and they received standard, dull kibble. And the fourth group’s homes contained the running wheels but no other toys or treats.

All the animals completed a series of cognitive tests at the start of the study and were injected with a substance that allows scientists to track changes in their brain structures. Then they ran, played or, if their environment was unenriched, lolled about in their cages for several months.

Afterward, Rhodes’s team put the mice through the same cognitive tests and examined brain tissues. It turned out that the toys and tastes, no matter how stimulating, had not improved the animals’ brains.

“Only one thing had mattered,” Rhodes says, “and that’s whether they had a running wheel.” Animals that exercised, whether or not they had any other enrichments in their cages, had healthier brains and performed significantly better on cognitive tests than the other mice. Animals that didn’t run, no matter how enriched their world was otherwise, did not improve their brainpower in the complex, lasting ways that Rhodes’s team was studying. “They loved the toys,” Rhodes says, and the mice rarely ventured into the empty, quieter portions of their cages. But unless they also exercised, they did not become smarter.

Why would exercise build brainpower in ways that thinking might not? The brain, like all muscles and organs, is a tissue, and its function declines with underuse and age. Beginning in our late 20s, most of us will lose about 1 percent annually of the volume of the hippocampus, a key portion of the brain related to memory and certain types of learning.

Exercise though seems to slow or reverse the brain’s physical decay, much as it does with muscles. Although scientists thought until recently that humans were born with a certain number of brain cells and would never generate more, they now know better. In the 1990s, using a technique that marks newborn cells, researchers determined during autopsies that adult human brains contained quite a few new neurons. Fresh cells were especially prevalent in the hippocampus, indicating that neurogenesis — or the creation of new brain cells — was primarily occurring there. Even more heartening, scientists found that exercise jump-starts neurogenesis. Mice and rats that ran for a few weeks generally had about twice as many new neurons in their hippocampi as sedentary animals. Their brains, like other muscles, were bulking up.
But it was the ineffable effect that exercise had on the functioning of the newly formed neurons that was most startling. Brain cells can improve intellect only if they join the existing neural network, and many do not, instead rattling aimlessly around in the brain for a while before dying.
One way to pull neurons into the network, however, is to learn something. In a 2007 study, new brain cells in mice became looped into the animals’ neural networks if the mice learned to navigate a water maze, a task that is cognitively but not physically taxing. But these brain cells were very limited in what they could do. When the researchers studied brain activity afterward, they found that the newly wired cells fired only when the animals navigated the maze again, not when they practiced other cognitive tasks. The learning encoded in those cells did not transfer to other types of rodent thinking.

Exercise, on the other hand, seems to make neurons nimble. When researchers in a separate study had mice run, the animals’ brains readily wired many new neurons into the neural network. But those neurons didn’t fire later only during running. They also lighted up when the animals practiced cognitive skills, like exploring unfamiliar environments. In the mice, running, unlike learning, had created brain cells that could multitask.

Just how exercise remakes minds on a molecular level is not yet fully understood, but research suggests that exercise prompts increases in something called brain-derived neurotropic factor, or B.D.N.F., a substance that strengthens cells and axons, fortifies the connections among neurons and sparks neurogenesis. Scientists can’t directly study similar effects in human brains, but they have found that after workouts, most people display higher B.D.N.F. levels in their bloodstreams.

Few if any researchers think that more B.D.N.F. explains all of the brain changes associated with exercise. The full process almost certainly involves multiple complex biochemical and genetic cascades. A recent study of the brains of elderly mice, for instance, found 117 genes that were expressed differently in the brains of animals that began a program of running, compared with those that remained sedentary, and the scientists were looking at only a small portion of the many genes that might be expressed differently in the brain by exercise.

Whether any type of exercise will produce these desirable effects is another unanswered and intriguing issue. “It’s not clear if the activity has to be endurance exercise,” says the psychologist and neuroscientist Arthur F. Kramer, director of the Beckman Institute at the University of Illinois and a pre-eminent expert on exercise and the brain. A limited number of studies in the past several years have found cognitive benefits among older people who lifted weights for a year and did not otherwise exercise. But most studies to date, and all animal experiments, have involved running or other aerobic activities.

Whatever the activity, though, an emerging message from the most recent science is that exercise needn’t be exhausting to be effective for the brain. When a group of 120 older men and women were assigned to walking or stretching programs for a major 2011 study, the walkers wound up with larger hippocampi after a year. Meanwhile, the stretchers lost volume to normal atrophy. The walkers also displayed higher levels of B.D.N.F. in their bloodstreams than the stretching group and performed better on cognitive tests.

In effect, the researchers concluded, the walkers had regained two years or more of hippocampal youth. Sixty-five-year-olds had achieved the brains of 63-year-olds simply by walking, which is encouraging news for anyone worried that what we’re all facing as we move into our later years is a life of slow (or not so slow) mental decline.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-12, 16:20

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I had heard of previous research on the brain where the goal was to find out if watching could produce the same benefit that actual practice does. It seems it does. Watching somebody else throw hoops had a similar effect on the subsequent performance of throwing hoops as it did in those that were doing the throwing. It makes perfect sense to me. Monkey see monkey do. We've been learning to do things by watching for millions of years. Watch our parents, do the same. Watch others, do the same. Watch and learn. And so if the simple act of watching has the same effect on learning as the act of doing, then it must also have similar effects on everything else that happens in the brain.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-12, 16:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Monkey see monkey do.

This is actually an incredibly powerful segment of the human brain. It puts a whole new spin on being a role model. I've become convinced that there is a huge segment of the population who find it difficult to be pioneers, in anything. They rely on "trail breakers" to make that path, first.

And yes; I've been reading Mark Sisson on long, sustained, low effort kinds of exercise; with my bad hip, that's probably the way I should try to go this spring & summer.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-12, 16:59

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
In most instances, such environmental enrichment also includes a running wheel, because mice and rats generally enjoy running.

Quote:
Whatever the activity, though, an emerging message from the most recent science is that exercise needn’t be exhausting to be effective for the brain. When a group of 120 older men and women were assigned to walking or stretching programs for a major 2011 study, the walkers wound up with larger hippocampi after a year.

I wonder if exercise ought to be fun? I enjoy walking, if I have music. Hate running--except the occasional spontaneous sprint.

I'm twisting myself into pretzels lately trying to make anything I read about benefits of exercise fit my bias for fun exercise.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-12, 17:30

BF:

That's a good point, Teaser. I believe exercise should be fun. Otherwise there would be no incentive to go and hunt for food except for the food itself. Maybe that's the point. This introduces the concept of purpose. Exercise on its own might be fun, but add a purpose to it and exercise takes all its meaning. Running after a ball, after or away from each other, etc. Walking and running to or from something. That's where the fun lies, I think.

A few anecdotes. I used to enjoy long walks with my dad. We'd go a ways off to look at art galleries or new cars. Or I would ride my bike on the Lachine canal to end up at the pier, sit for a while and enjoy the view. Though those were modest purposes, they were still incentive to enjoy the walk and ride for themselves. Without those incentives, the walks and rides would just become chores to get over with.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-12, 21:38
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

A demonstration of an octopus learning through observation.

I remember seeing this a while back. I was pretty impressed.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 16:44
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I wonder if exercise ought to be fun? I enjoy walking, if I have music. Hate running--except the occasional spontaneous sprint.

I'm twisting myself into pretzels lately trying to make anything I read about benefits of exercise fit my bias for fun exercise.

This is why I love the Primal Blueprint approach to exercise, which goes back to how our bodies evolved for activity. Lots of low impact movement, occasional sprints, and some heavy weight lifting. The low-impact activity can be whatever you enjoy--hiking, leisurely bike rides, walking, playing with your kids, etc. The sprints would traditionally be very short bursts of running, but you could do these intervals with any type of activity. So if you hate long distance running, there's no need to do it

--Melissa
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 11:10

BF:

The whole idea makes a lot of sense. Just extending my original idea. The body is the means to acquire food, the brain is merely the controlling organ for the body. The body is merely a collection of cells, and each of them needs nourishment. The body is the system that all those individual cells chose (from a natural selection perspective) to make the acquisition of food more efficient and effective. Acquiring food in this form requires motion and thought. It follows that motion and thought will be beneficial on their own, as incentive to acquire food. It also follows that motion will be beneficial to thought (and vice verse), because thought is merely the boss of motion, yet motion allows thought to continue to occur, by virtue of allowing the acquisition of food.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 11:54

BF:

The article talks about exercise, but also about learning. The ability to learn is a distinguishing feature of humans. That's how we get to know how to do things. Learning is fun. Eureka! Just like other things that are fun, like reproduction and eating, learning is a means of survival for us. The article says they don't know if it's the type of exercise that produces this benefit for the brain. I say it doesn't matter much as long as it causes the brain to learn new things. And whatever kind of exercise causes this will also be beneficial on its own.

There's one thing I don't get though. Practice is boring, yet practice is what allows us to develop, improve and maintain skill. I like to practice hitting balls at the range. I get bored too but I get through the boredom and keep going. I get to a sort of higher plane where it becomes fun at some point, past the boring threshold or something. It's a different kind of fun though. A sort of calm peaceful state. A state where my focus is sharp and my motions are precise and purposeful.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 14:59

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

It sounds like they're saying the biggest brain benefits came to the critters who ran on running wheels regardless of whether or not they had otherwise enriched learning environments. Exercise that's actually fun sounds like a great idea, but I hope it really is just the exercise itself and not if it was enjoyable or promoted learning that gives the benefit because I exercise but the routine I have time for isn't interesting or fun.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 15:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

You ought to hang out at Mark's Daily Apple. Play is one of the cornerstones of his version of Primal life.