Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 21:47
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 183/176/135 Female 5 FT, 4 IN.
BF:
Progress: 15%
Question Anyone from Southern California?

I was just wondering if there were any Southern Californians on this forum...specifically I was wondering if there are any wonderful stores nearby that sell low carb products that I am not aware of. I can find lots of the basic Atkins stuff, low carb candy, etc. from Trader Joe's but was looking more for someplace that carries tortillas, baked bread, etc. Thanks for the response if you know of anything.... karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 12:45
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 189/160/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi!!!

It's amazing! You and I are the only ones listed for So Cal! A place known for vanity, looking good, and people literally dying to be thin! Wow! All these years and come to find out that (according to this list, anyway) all the truly vain people are in Pennsylvania and Maryland!

Just playing! Please, no hate mail from the afore-mentioned groups!

So Karen! I am right above you in the South Bay!

As for your question about Lo Carb products, I've yet to find something labeled Low Carb that is truly low carb in stores. No tortillas around here, that I've run into anyway. But if you find them, please let me know! I will drive south for tortillas any day of the week!

Wonder Bread makes Light Bread. If you subtract fiber, 1 slice is 6.5 carbs. Not exactly low carb, per se, but definately lower than the rest. Stay away from it during induction. Later on you can add it in there if it doen't mess with you. I eat it very moderately (I'll have a piece of toast with my coffee every other morning, or so) and it hasn't made me stall....yet.

Hope to hear from you and other Southern Californians. They must be out ther, don't you think!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 12:57
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 189/160/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default I'm back!

Hey I just noticed that you and I are pretty similar as far as our stats and goals!

My birthday was May 4th, yours is tomorrow! Happy Birthday! I just turned 36 (The dark side of my 30's ) My original goal was 135 too, but I changed it to make myself feel better about my weight loss percentage banner! Yes, I know. That's cheating! But who cares! I reached 50% three pounds sooner and it motivated me!

Have a great day tomorrow Karen! 35 was a great year for me!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/107/107 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum. I'm in the Hollywood Hills. I've found a few great places to shop around the area. One is Synergy Diet in Pasadena, which also has a website, synergydiet.com. They have a large variety of fresh baked breads, rolls, brownies, and soft pretzels, as well as tons of packaged low-carb products. If you plan to do a big stock-up, it could be worth the drive from Orange County or the South Bay. There is also a chain of sports/fitness supplement stores around the area called Nutri-Peak that has great prices on supplements, protein powders, low-carb bars and some food products.

Hope this helps!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:23

Plan: The Atkins Diet
Stats: 192/124/115
BF:
Progress: 88%
Hi everyone,

I live in Tustin but work in Dana Point. I usually go to a place called Farmer's Market in San Juan Capristrano to purchase my atkin's products. They have a majority of the Atkins products along with other Diet plans products. I like it because it's close and they supply a lot more than Trader Joe's supply. Hope I helped.

Frances
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:

What's up so cal. I'm Alex and I'm here in Orange County, the city of Irvine. I don't know much for the low carb stores but for supplements I know hands down where you'll get the best prices, at Discount Sports Nutrition in Laguna Hills. There website is dsnutrition.com or # 949-495-3109 to compare prices. I swear I don't work there or make any money by mentioning this or have any affiliation only that from my research they have the lowest prices. One thing I came across while moving along this site was that someone mentioned at in and out you can order a protein burger and they'll wrap the burger between lettuce w/o bread. I thought that was cool. If anyone want's to message me or however it works, feel free.
Alex
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 01:21
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:

I was at the Mothers Market in Irvine in Orange County and they sell low carb. tortillas there. 9 grams of fiber and only 3 ECC. Ten pack was $2.59, I don't think you can beat the fiber bargain. They aren't that bad tasting either.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 09:30
Registered Member

Stats: 280/257/185
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hello,

I'm also pretty surprised that there aren't more low carbers here!!

But it must be catching on. Last night I ordered a double cheeseburger, no bun, from Carl's Jr and they gave it to me wrapped in lettuce and the guy didn't even bat an eye!

You're right about In-n-Out, Alex. If you ask for a burger "protein style" they'll wrap it in lettuce!

I'm in Burbank! The only good places I found for low carb stuff is Trader Joes, GNC and a place called Nature Mart in Hollywood. They have tons of low carb bar, Atkins mixes and sugar free chocolate! I guess maybe other health food stores might have low carb stuff too. But I haven't seen tortillas anywhere.

I find a lot of 7-11's have sugar free chocolate and Atkins bars too!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 01:20

Plan: Lindora
Stats: 280/255/180
BF:
Progress: 25%
Talking Orange County resourse

Mother's Market is another LC resourse. THere is one in Costa Mesa on 17th and one in Huntington Beach on Beach Blvd. Trader Joes has LC tortillas.
There is a restaurant called Pancho's in Orange on Glassell. Very affordable. They have this Shrimp Ranchero Omelette (sp) that is served with a salad...just tell em to hold the beans or rice. It is very good. Also their Fajitas are great. Just in case you were craving Mexican food.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/241/140
BF:
Progress: 4%

I live in Long Beach. There's a health food store on 2nd that sells alot of LC stuff - don't know about baked goods though. It's called Papa Jon's (not the pizza place). I'm moving to palm desert and there's a place there that has soft serve LC ice cream - and believe it or not - it's actually wonderful. Sorry I don't remember the name of the sandwich shop, but it's located in the shopping center near albertsons on Monterey Dr.

BTW - anyone in the palm desert area?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 08:18

Plan: Lindora
Stats: 280/255/180
BF:
Default LC ice cream?

Are you kidding?? When you have it again will you please list the brand? I tried the carbolite brand ice cream....much like concrete and not very tasty. I will search for Papa John's tonight, thanks!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 13:54
Registered Member

Stats: 159.5/151.0/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Default I'm in OC too - HB

I am a newbie... just started. I have found that Mother's market (in HB on Beach Blvd. / Newland in the Newland shopping center) is a good place with non-sweet coconut, Atkins products and many low carb bars - they also carry the books for low carb counting. I have also found some of the Atkins products at Albertson's (the larger new ones) in the diet section. If you sign up for the Atkins newsletter at atkinscenter.com they will send you a catalog for all of their products... but then you have to pay shipping.

Thanks for letting us know about the restaurant in Orange - I think I might have to give it a try. I have gotten my sister to try LC and her son!! Looking forward to results.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 01:08

Stats: 162/122/107
BF:?/24%/20%
Progress: 73%
Cool So. Cal. Mountains

Hi I'm a newbie,
Hey there Frances, we are pretty much in the same boat stat wise and everything. I can't believe how far you've come, that's amazing. I actually think that everyone here is amazing.

It's nice to have a place to come and talk open and honest about wieght....at home it is hard, my sister has always been thin (she only thinks she's fat at 130lbs and in a size 4). It's like she's always flaunting herself in front of me, and she is my younger sister. Does any one esle have this problem? Constantly surrounded by thin people who belive they are huge, or complaining about how they need to gain wieght?

I have always struggled with how I look and what people think. I know it's not supposed to be important, but it's hard to say it's not. I find that although I am losing pounds and inches, proud of it and even "bragging" about it, I still see myself as big as I was when I started. Does this stop at any point? Will I ever see myself in my new size? I still have a long way to go, but I thought 15 pounds was/is a great start?

Anyway, thanks for listening, I feel a bit better getting some of this out.

Dani
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 00:21

Stats: 292/240/200
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Low Carb store in Sherman Oaks

Hi fellow SoCalers. I am new to Low Carbing. I began Oct 1st and have a LONG way to go. I want to lose about 100lbs. It is going really well for me but I am now a carbolite addict, lol.

Just today I found a great store in Sherman Oaks. It is a Humpreys Yogurt shop on Van Nuys Blvd. They carry tons of low carb products from Carbolite and Atkins. They had everything low carb cookies to bbq sauce and bread and of course carbolite ice cream in several flavors. It is odd to be in a yogurt shop but I was SO happy to see all that they carry.

For any locals it is the Humpreys just off the 101 at Van Nuys blvd in the shopping center with Solleys deli and Gelsons market.

I live in Palmdale, CA and would be thrilled to find a store in my area :-)

Naomi
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 01:35

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default More SoCal stuff...

Just want to echo some great some shopping advice:

+ In Orange County, Mother's Market has a great selection of stuff..I frquent the Irvine store which has a whole shelf each of Keto products and Flax-O-Meal...it's worth ocassional trip from LA to stock up...pirces are comparable to most online outlets and stuff is ocassionally on sale at excellent prices...

+ Trader Joes...they are now stocking Atkins Blueberry Muffin Mix, Cornbread Mix and Brownie Mix...these are all excellent and just $3.99 a box...both the Brownies and Cornbread taste better than most boxed mixes...they also carry some Lo Carb tortillas which aren't as good as La Tortilla Factory...but they're good enough for me (and I'm picky) and half the price...they have a great selection of Carbolite Chocolate, which are great but an expensive and nasty habit to get into...another great find for OWL is the 'Hip Hip Hooray" sugar free ice cream (really tofutti) bars....these taste amazing and are $2.99 for a box of six...note they 10g carbs per bar and have lots of sugar alcohols...but in OWL, they rule!

Brian